Author Topic: Wanting to try Autocross  (Read 51 times)

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Wanting to try Autocross
« on: October 27, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
As much fun as I have in the dirt, I feel like I need to at least try out racing on pavement at least once with my WRX STI.  I've got Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on 'er so it should be good to go, but I'll be honest: I haven't the foggiest what I'm doing on asphalt.  There's only a few Autocross events left on the NRSCCA Calendar and I keep debating whether I should give it a go or just wait until the next opportunity.  Would a Test N Tune or "school" session be better to start out with?

Looking for a little guidance!

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Wanting to try Autocross
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »
A local event would be just fine to start out with, I'd only suggest trying that before any National level one. 
Don't need to wait for a TnT event but they are an excellent way to get lots of seat time.

AutoX events are attended in much greater number and have a strong local contingent of fast and experienced drivers.  Finding one in your class or a novice advisor would help when you're learning the ropes, and people are very willing to help and advise.  There is always a novice course walk which is recommended for any driver as you can get really good tips about how to position the car and where to be looking.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: Wanting to try Autocross
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
Well that was fun  8)

It was the last day I had summer tires on... but it was only 40 degrees outside with a 10-20mph wind all day in Lincoln.  Grip from my Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires was fairly inconsistent and I never really made any significant improvements through the morning's 6 runs.  I tried to shave a second and a half off my best time (third run) and wasn't able to get there.  Kinda went ultra wide on the last run and just decided to lay on the gas and do the rest of the run sliding and sideways.  I was a little discouraged with my performance from a competitive standpoint, but I'm so much more used to utilizing a lack of grip to gain agility and rotation in the turns... and that didn't work so well on tarmac.

With warmer conditions I think it might've gone better, but with my only racing experience on dirt, adjusting to the grip and speed of Autocross didn't come as quickly to me as I had hoped.  I'll probably try it again next year and it was fun to finally take a crack at it.  Still, I felt the same way after this as I did 3 years ago when I attended and rode along at my first Autocross: that was fun, but I wanna get back to the dirt.

Luckily for me, there's one more Rallycross next weekend to finish out the season.