Author Topic: Beware Duteau  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Wagonator

Beware Duteau
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:29:39 PM »
I purchased my 05 WRX Wagon at Duteau and had a great experience.

That being said, I just went in to get my oil changed and they ****** up. They put conventional 5w-30 oil in. Luckily, I asked what oil they put in. They immediately swapped the conventional for a full synthetic. They were very apologetic and the customer service was good as always.

Just a reminder to always ask what kind of oil the place puts in your car.
I think your exhaust just sharted! -WRXNFX

Offline jton

• Elite Member
  • 1993 Impreza Wagon - SOLD
    • Build
Re: Beware Duteau
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Their service department is ****. The parts department, if you talk to Michael, is from my experience great. I've been buying parts from them the past two years and I get cost on parts.

BTW, I've seen rolling hard a few times around Lincoln.
-Jimmy
R35 GTR

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up.

So as I understand it, you paid for and/or agreed to a full synthetic oil change?  

Offline Wagonator

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:42:29 PM »
I ended up paying for the full synthetic service yes.

In the beginning they didn't ask me any questions about what kind of oil I wanted. (my first clue)
When I go to Jiffy Lube they have a couple semi-synthetics and a full synthetic to choose from. I choose which oil I would like before they begin the service.

I was curious why Duteau did not give me the same options?? The reason: They did not notice that they were servicing a WRX......

Jton: Send me a pic of your car so I will know its you next time. I hope I waved. I always try to.

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:46:17 PM »
Okay, I gotcha.  So there was some honest confusion.

As an FYI, I run conventional in my LGT and I have no problems.  Oil analysis came back after a harsh winter and no reason for me to switch to full synthetic just as long as my oil changes are at regular intervals.

Offline Wagonator

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 03:48:46 PM »
Thats good to know. I was under the impression I needed to run AT LEAST a semi-synthetic. That info could come in handy.

Offline jton

• Elite Member
    • Build
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »
Its alright, I have two red wagons.

Click on my sig (Jimmy) for a link to my journal on RS25.

My swapped wagon is on jackstands at the moment.
-Jimmy
R35 GTR

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:15:23 PM »
I ran conventional in my WRX.

Used to run conventional in my STi.

My $.02 routine oil changes are they key.
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:53:25 AM »

I agree with el Jeff.
I'm a synthetic guy...just personal piece of mind.  But anal about the changes.  Just changed mine this morning.  Nothing like scooting around your garage floor at 7:00am ;D
That is also personal piece of mind...changing it myself.

Back on topic.  I bought my car at DuTeau and had a good experience.  My salesman was super cool and got me a decent deal to boot.  Gotta like that!  I would buy another car from them for sure.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:58:05 AM by kevinmfb »

Offline Paul_N

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:24 AM »
holy **** not to go off topic, i was planning on buying that wagon LOL

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 01:18:34 AM »

I agree with el Jeff.
I'm a synthetic guy...just personal piece of mind.  But anal about the changes.  Just changed mine this morning.  Nothing like scooting around your garage floor at 7:00am ;D
That is also personal piece of mind...changing it myself.

Back on topic.  I bought my car at DuTeau and had a good experience.  My salesman was super cool and got me a decent deal to boot.  Gotta like that!  I would buy another car from them for sure.

Duteau sales is great..Thats where I bought my STi from.    I wont be buying another Subaru, but if I did, I would give them a chance.

Offline BEETR00T

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 01:52:54 AM »
I've never heard anything about WRX requiring synthetic before reading this post.

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 06:39:32 AM »
I've never heard anything about WRX requiring synthetic before reading this post.

Don't worry it's not.  Just personal preference.  It's fine to run conventional oil.  Only time a manufacture will require a synthetic oil there will have most likely a Mobil 1 logo or else say something to the effect to Synthetic Only on the oil cap.  

Offline Sundawg

• Picture Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
Don't worry it's not.  Just personal preference.  It's fine to run conventional oil.  Only time a manufacture will require a synthetic oil there will have most likely a Mobil 1 logo or else say something to the effect to Synthetic Only on the oil cap.  

Like the Evo's
2013 SWP BRZ
2011 Outback 3.6R

Offline neurosis05

• Novice
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
I bought my 05 wrx from deteau, they wouldn't come down 1 cent of the price, which was over blue book value.  I think they're a**holes and I'll never go back.  Also I just changed my oil this Sat and went to full synthetic for the first time (royal purple).

Offline Supermyhr

• Just when no one expects it... ATTACK DOGS
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »
I bought my 05 wrx from deteau, they wouldn't come down 1 cent of the price, which was over blue book value.  I think they're a**holes and I'll never go back.  Also I just changed my oil this Sat and went to full synthetic for the first time (royal purple).

They can only be so bad if you were willing to stay with them and buy the car for what they were asking...  ? :-\?

Either way, how is the royal purple treating you?  I've seen that stuff, but didn't know what to think of it?
"Nothing reminds you of your mortality quite like waking up to see the jaws of your German shepherd yawning right in your face."  - My Wife

"Poodles are actually very smart.  They only look stupid because they have black people hair, and white people cut them into clown suits."

Offline Paul_N

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 01:03:33 PM »

that's weird i got them to come down in price...but then again my g/f would of kill me if i bought a new car

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »

that's weird i got them to come down in price...but then again my g/f would of kill me if i bought a new car

I also did.  They even went under invoice.

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »
If you have a good sales person at duteau they can be alright. Matt Hover was someone I was working with at duteau and he was awesome, but he left. My mom bought an outback years and years ago and had the worst experience with sale and service from what she says.

Dunno, but I can see almost all dealerships being like this. Unpleasant and bad, based on their employees.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:32:14 PM by onemanzu »

Offline jton

• Elite Member
    • Build
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 11:40:35 AM »
^Based on the direct dealership point of view, I think generally it applies to all in that line of business.
-Jimmy
R35 GTR

Offline corx

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »
conventional oil is fine for all subaru's. most dealerships just automatically put it in because that is the cheap option. conventional needs to be changed every 3500 miles on n/a and 3000 on turbo cars. with synthetic 5000 for n/a cars and 4500 for turbo cars. thems the facts, don't you forget it. but like always it's your car you do what you want, i'm just a lowly tech. what do I know...
-chris van middelkoop-
10 nbp gh6 Impreza
67 Dark Blue Street Beetle
"your impreza is evolving!...
congratulations, your impreza just evolved into an old worn out sti!"