Author Topic: stock clutch  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Paul_N

Re: stock clutch
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 01:06:33 PM »
I bought my WRX clutch from "gripforce-clutches" on Ebay.

A quick search shows they have an F1 Stage 1 clutch for $160 bucks shipped.

I know nothing about F1 branded clutches.

Exedy makes the WRX stock Clutch, and I have been told they are the same a aftermarket stage 1 clutch.

For your car and Exedy Stage 1 looks like a $450 part.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exedy-Stage-1-Clutch-Kit-04-05-Subaru-Impreza-2-5L-/130428344826?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5e2299fa

There is something tricky I am trying to remember about the 05 RS clutch, I want to say it is push unlike the WRX of the same year which is pull...  The only point there is I do not think you can use a WRX clutch.

So if you want to be ahead of the curve, buy a clutch and have Russ on Speed dial.  :)

Doing a clutch is not the worst job in the world, but it takes time.

You should be able to resurface your flywheel.  O'Rielly's will do it for <$20 IIRC

But a clutch is like tires, why replace it early just to wear the new one down?

I have never done any transmission work. But if I take it to the dealer will they resurface the fly wheel

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »

Exedy makes the WRX stock Clutch, and I have been told they are the same a aftermarket stage 1 clutch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exedy-Stage-1-Clutch-Kit-04-05-Subaru-Impreza-2-5L-/130428344826?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5e2299fa

There is something tricky I am trying to remember about the 05 RS clutch, I want to say it is push unlike the WRX of the same year which is pull...  The only point there is I do not think you can use a WRX clutch.

So if you want to be ahead of the curve, buy a clutch and have Russ on Speed dial.  :)

You should be able to resurface your flywheel.  O'Rielly's will do it for <$20 IIRC

I have never done any transmission work. But if I take it to the dealer will they resurface the fly wheel

Dealer should be able to, but they may just want to throw a new one in.
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline Paul_N

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »

Dealer should be able to, but they may just want to throw a new one in.

are they expensive

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »
They're a lot more expensive than resurfacing. Have Russ do it, you're gonna get ###  reemed by the dealer for that.
-Shawn

Offline Paul_N

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 05:09:39 PM »
just because i don't know much about service on transmission.

can i get the flywheel resurfaced and then take it in to get a new clutch?]

yes i know n00b

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
just because i don't know much about service on transmission.

can i get the flywheel resurfaced and then take it in to get a new clutch?]

yes i know n00b

No.

The flywheel is what the Clutch is attached to. so the cannot move on it's own without both.

Usually Russ or whoever would pull the clutch and flywheel, take the flywheel to be resurfaced, then install flywheel and new clutch..  Let me see if I can find a spiffy diagram.. :)

Good website and video here.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

The clutch disc is attached to the input shaft of the transmission, so in gear the clutch disk is attached to the drive train/wheels, and the flywheel and pressure plate are attached to the crank or engine power output.

Unibomber is a tool, but his manifesto is pretty good fpr most newbie questions.

Or post here and everyone can learn togher, either way, this is what the forum is for.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:31:00 PM by WRXNFX »
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline Paul_N

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »
lol

Offline TortoiseAWD

• Moderators
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 07:47:29 AM »
I have an ACT in the STi and love it.

That is odd about your Exedy.  Did you resurface the flywheel?

Russ installed the Exedy when he rebuilt my trans with Legacy gears, and yeah, he resurfaced the flywheel.  Don't know what the problem was, but IIRC, some folks on NASIOC were having the same problems with that model Exedy clutch (I think it was one step up from their OEM replacement, Stage 2?) around the same time.

Tort

Driving a Subaru is more awesome than a monkey in a bacon tuxedo riding a cyborg unicorn with a lightsaber for a horn on the tip of a space shuttle closing in on Mars, while engulfed in flames.

Offline TortoiseAWD

• Moderators
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 07:48:16 AM »
They're a lot more expensive than resurfacing. Have Russ do it, you're gonna get ###  reemed by the dealer for that.

THIS.
Driving a Subaru is more awesome than a monkey in a bacon tuxedo riding a cyborg unicorn with a lightsaber for a horn on the tip of a space shuttle closing in on Mars, while engulfed in flames.