Author Topic: TPMS  (Read 2974 times)

Offline DanTheManFromJapan

• TicTac
TPMS
« on: October 06, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »
So. Got the winter wheels... Working on tires.

Do I NEEEED TPMS? and where can i get it the cheapest?
"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
Re: TPMS
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
What is TPMS?
-Shawn

• TicTac
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
Tire Pressure Monitoring System...
"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 04:28:41 PM »
Ahh. I figured it'd be something like that.

Don't know anything about that silly stuff. I'm a little offended that Subaru thinks I can't check my own tire pressure though.
-Shawn

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 04:29:24 PM »
No one really needs TPMS.   ;)  I would save the money and just deal with the light on durring the winter.  Also at least with Corvettes if you get new TPMS's you'll have to have the dealer sync them with the car.  Not sure if that is the same with Subaru or not.    

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »
My pops just replaced wheels and tires on his 2010 Outback, not sure that they had to do anything at the dealership, but he did have more limited options in keeping the TPMS.

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
How much do those little sensors cost anyway?

Not to sound like Great Grandpa carburetor but that seems like it's a total waste.
-Shawn

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »
How much do those little sensors cost anyway?

Not to sound like Great Grandpa carburetor but that seems like it's a total waste.

They're like $20-30 each. 

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 04:53:22 PM »
Sounds about right.

-Shawn

Offline Chris H.

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 05:19:51 PM »
I've already got so many lights on my dash one more won't matter. By the time I set up my diff settings, S#, and traction control plus the light for Hill Assist being disabled.

Offline HawkWagon

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »
You can get away without TPMS if you check your tires regularly—after all, we did for years—but keep on top of it. Winter is the most likely time to have low tires, thanks to wildly fluctuating temperatures and hazards (nails, screws, random bits of metal and glass) that might be hidden by snow.

If you like the convenience of TPMS and don't want to give it up for the winter, the dealer isn't your only option for synching them with your car. Tire Rack sells a TPMS reset tool that is designed for drivers who switch between summer and winter wheels and want to do the work themselves: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=163. Sells for $125 but should pay for itself pretty quickly, based on what the dealer is likely to charge.

• TicTac
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »
Thanks for all the info, everyone.  I think i'll just go with normal valve stems...
"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »
99STM it's not just subaru... they're making it darn near mandatory on most production cars.

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
99STM it's not just subaru... they're making it darn near mandatory on most production cars.

Is there a way to turn it off or trick it?
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline Starch

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »

Black electrical tape about a 2" long strip should do the trick.
"Why do you hate what you don't understand?"

• TicTac
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »

Black electrical tape about a 2" long strip should do the trick.

Homer Simpson mod FTW.
"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 12:29:22 AM »

Yeah, I know. I just see it as a big waste of money. I mean, if people really are getting to the point where they can't check their tire pressure, that's getting too far. There's a fine line between laziness and convenience and I think vehicle producers are crossing the line.
-Shawn

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 02:16:32 AM »
They made valve stem caps that tell you the pressure now for the lazy people that cant take two minutes to do it.  That should be sufficient  ;)

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:45:56 AM »
That would be better. At least you actually have to get out of the car to do that. haha.
-Shawn

Offline corx

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 06:51:28 AM »
They made valve stem caps that tell you the pressure now for the lazy people that cant take two minutes to do it.  That should be sufficient  ;)

they don't actually work. they just say 32 and  pop up into the sight glass when the pressure gets around 30.
-chris van middelkoop-
10 nbp gh6 Impreza
67 Dark Blue Street Beetle
"your impreza is evolving!...
congratulations, your impreza just evolved into an old worn out sti!"

Offline WheelGap

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »
All vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs or less are required to have TPMS as of 2008.  So no escaping TPMS in a new car.
My Rally-America Evo gets its prep on at Russ's Garage!

@SPEvo112 | spevo112.tumblr.com

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 07:52:07 AM »
TPMS isn't necessary by any means and if you can stand having the light on for 3-4 months then it shouldn't be a worry.

I will say that I'm glad TPMS is on my car after picking up a couple nails in my tires.  I will admit that I don't check my air pressure as often as I should and when that little light came on I immediatly got my tire pressure guage out and checked all my tires.  Some were a pound low but the one with the nails was about 5 lbs low.  Next stop was to get the nail removed.  So in that manner I guess it's helpful but in general most people won't bother to check until the little warning light comes on.

Even then I have heard people say, "What does this little light with a flat tire looking thingy mean?"   :angry:  And that's why that system is in affect...I believe. IIRC it comes on when the tires get to about 5 lbs under recommended pressure.

• TicTac
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 08:11:13 AM »
I must agree... In the civic that i had, the TPMS came on once when the temperatures started to get low... I filled all the tires up to recommended pressure and the light stayed on for a good 5-10 minutes after... I understand these sensors work by transmitting a radio frequency blah blah blah, but how often do they transmit? and how far away... lol If i leave my stock setup in my garage, and park close enough to them on a daily basis, is it possible that my light will only turn on when I'm away... Just someing that amuses me.

Anyway, definitely not going with TPMS. Now to find some custom purple valvestems to match my purple lugnuts. That way me and Joel can match.
"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline pdi180

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »
I think that the car is only linked to one set of tires at a time. You have to have the dealership or handy tirerack machine to have a different set of TPMS work with your car. Of course, this is all in theory. When other people's keyless entry works on my old car's, that was also never supposed to work in theory.

Offline cpike

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 12:35:25 PM »
I actually really like having the TPMS because it's one less thing that I have to worry about.  It doesn't make someone lazy... it just adds more convenience to my daily driver.  I no longer have to worry if my tire pressure isn't where it should be, because the car will tell me when it is.

My TPMS comes on when the car is just 3-4 pounds lower in any given tire than it should be.  Since low tire pressure happens most often during the winter months, it's nice not to have to be outside in the cold and checking that tire pressure.

I had problems this past winter with my snow tires that I had purchased.  My snow tires were such a softer compound than the stock all-seasons that they were much more susceptible to breaking from all the potholes we had all over.  It got to the point where I knew that if I hit a pothole with enough force that I could tell by impact whether my tire was likely to break or not.  I practically called it the last time I had a flat.  I was like "Oh man, that's probably another flat tire!"  I found a place to eat a minute after hitting the pothole, parked to get some dinner, came back outside, started the car, turned the corner, TPMS light popped on, and immediately knew my tire was either very low or going flat.  I pulled back over immediately and parked in a parking lot.  Got out and sure enough, another flat tire.  That was the last time I will deal with snow tires.  They are very nice for getting around and for stopping quickly, but they can't take the abuse of these poor Omaha streets in the winter time.

In the end, TPMS should not be expensive to anyone owning a Subaru in the first place.  Subaru's aren't exactly known for being low-cost.  If you own one, it's usually because money wasn't a huge factor in your buying decision.