Author Topic: TPMS  (Read 3009 times)

Offline HawkWagon

Re: TPMS
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »
I do check my tire pressures on a pretty regular basis, but TPMS is still nice to have. Two examples from this past summer:

On one trip down south, I forgot to bleed out some air to compensate for the warmer temperatures, and then drove into a major heat wave. TPMS reminded me that my pressures were too high.

On another trip, I picked up a piece of metal debris, unidentifiable, in the right rear tire. (Ever notice this happens much more often to the rear tires? It's usually debris kicked up by the fronts that is then caught and rolled over by the rear tires.) You can check tire pressures every time you fuel up, but on a transcontinental trip you can lose a lot of air in between stops and never know it...unless you have TPMS backing you up.

I know it's not necessarily a popular system, and can be inconvenient at times, but not as inconvenient as a flat (or, worse, damaged) tire.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:30:02 PM by HawkWagon »

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 03:30:40 PM »
Yeah, I know. I just see it as a big waste of money. I mean, if people really are getting to the point where they can't check their tire pressure, that's getting too far. There's a fine line between laziness and convenience and I think vehicle producers are crossing the line.

You do realize what country you live in donít you?  Asking average Americans to do such menial work as checking their tire pressures is absurd!  LOL 

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 03:35:55 PM »
This is the sad reality.  One that, more likely than most others, is what will eventually or already has doomed this country...

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 09:29:14 AM »
... I understand these sensors work by transmitting a radio frequency blah blah blah, but how often do they transmit? and how far away... lol If i leave my stock setup in my garage, and park close enough to them on a daily basis, is it possible that my light will only turn on when I'm away... Just someing that amuses me.
It would be nice, but that won't work. The sensors only transmit then the wheel is turning at speed (not sure exactly the mph). They turn off to save battery when the wheels aren't turning. No good way to fake the system that I've found. I've done some research on it on Nabisco, iwsti, and legacygt.com, and ended up just having the light on all last winter with my winter wheels. It is more of a hassle/expense than it is worth in my opinion.

If you do want to keep tpms with multiple wheels, you need the specific Subaru sensors in all wheels (which I've read are more expensive than the ones other manufacturers use). From there, you have some options.
1. Have the dealer reflash the body computer that handles tpms every time you change your wheels. This is because the Subaru computer will only recognize four sensors at a time. Some dealers do this for free and some charge over $100 each time.
2. Use Hawk's suggested device from tirerack. I've read that it may or may not work, so you want to do some research before going this route.
3. Find the same model Subaru in a junk yard and pull the body computer. Install this under the driver's seat and use it to store your winter wheel sensors. You will need to flash it once at the dealer, but after that, it is a simple matter of plugging in the correct one for whichever set of wheels you are running.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline joosty_chin

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
I don't know how you bypass the system, but I know in a ford its just a box inside the interrior trim in the right rear of the car. Maybe a subaru has a similar location. The TPMS sensors submit a signal to this brain/box and it inturn talks to your ecu. Maybe you could just unplug the system. All new cars will have these from now on its a DOT law.
"It could be worse."