Author Topic: Timing Belt  (Read 2510 times)

Offline cnanfito18

Timing Belt
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »
My 04 WRX is getting up there on the ole odometer: 104xxx roughly, maybe even closer to 105xxx. To my knowledge the timing belt has not been changed. Should I get that replaced? Should I have already taken care of it?

With that many miles what else should I replace/have looked at?

Offline arau

Re: Timing Belt
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:58:18 PM »
i know usually people get them replaced around 106-110k. i mean ive seen subies with 140k that have the original t-belt still running strong. but yet also seen a forester that broke one at 80k and did really bad damage... (new motor and the hood had a dent in it..) 

I guess its all up to the person and how hard its ran. ifs its around town, you could be fine. idk.

you usually replace the belt, idle pulley and water pump. (correct me if im wrong). and if you havent had your other belts replaced, this would be a good time.

If you take it somewhere, (say beardmore, thats who did my legacy.) it will be atleast around $500 or so.

hope this helps.
1998 GW   Legacy GT LTD. -SOLD
2003 WRB Impreza WRX W/STI mods.
1999 RBP  Impreza 2.5 RS-SOLD
2000 SM   Impreza 2.5 RS-JDM EJ20K-SOLD
1997 GW  Impreza OBS
1996 GW   Legacy GT Wagon

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:51 PM »
Did mine at Ron's Put in a Gates belt.

I say do the same. :)
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline ricerswetdream

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »
You just need to make sure all the idlers/cogs are ok, and it's a good practice to change the tensioner when you do the belt.  Adds another $100 or so in parts but it's better then that tensioner going bad after being compressed and letting the belt jump.

I have a standard gates timing belt if you want it..... Came with my timing kit but it's the standard belt, I want the kevlar racing belt.  Unfortunately I had that package shipped to my Utah address so the belt won't be in town here until the 6th after my next trip to Utah.  Cheapest I could find online was $50 plus shipping on the belt so I can let you have it for $50.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:10:33 AM by ricerswetdream »
-Chris

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »
fredbeansparts.com had a Gates timing belt kit (belt, pully, water pump, etc.) for $250 for their weekly special last week. It is regular price at $350 this week, which I understand to be still a good deal.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/gates-racing-subaru-timing-kit-s-with-kevlar-racing-timing-belt.html
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline TruRu

• Elite Member
  • 2008 WRX - VF52 and supporting mods
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »
Look for a special like bspec mentioned. I got an entire kit for around $250 from a Nasioc vendor. Ron's garage did it for me. They got me in that week and they never charge a penny more than they quote you, so no surprises even if it takes them longer than they thought!

Offline rick schumacher

• Elite Member
  • white knuckles
    • Russ' Garage
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:30:34 AM »
the timing belt should be replaced every 90K
its been stated, but yes, the tensioner and idler pullies would be a good thing to do
some say do waterpump, i havent but its never a bad idea
its somewhat expensive, but if neglected, you could be rebuilding your heads if the belt breaks or any pullies poop out on you
im not sure what russ charges, but if you want another option, the RG does great work ;)

Offline OSE007

• President | UNL Formula SAE
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:36:07 AM »
I am kinda in the same boat but was just wondering when you do the TBelt etc. Do you usually do the headgasket as well while you are in there on these cars? I am still confused about the Phase 1 and Phase 2 engines on the GC Imprezas.

Offline arau

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:05 AM »
I am kinda in the same boat but was just wondering when you do the TBelt etc. Do you usually do the headgasket as well while you are in there on these cars? I am still confused about the Phase 1 and Phase 2 engines on the GC Imprezas.

The head gaskets would be fine...no need to replace them. unless there leaking, then your looking at pulling the entire motor.
1998 GW   Legacy GT LTD. -SOLD
2003 WRB Impreza WRX W/STI mods.
1999 RBP  Impreza 2.5 RS-SOLD
2000 SM   Impreza 2.5 RS-JDM EJ20K-SOLD
1997 GW  Impreza OBS
1996 GW   Legacy GT Wagon

Offline jton

• Elite Member
  • 1993 Impreza Wagon - SOLD
    • Build
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »
^There are known issues on failing head gaskets with Phase 1 EJ25s. Preventative and routine maintenance on head gaskets for that known issue is a good idea.
-Jimmy
R35 GTR

Offline ricerswetdream

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
fredbeansparts.com had a Gates timing belt kit (belt, pully, water pump, etc.) for $250 for their weekly special last week. It is regular price at $350 this week, which I understand to be still a good deal.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/gates-racing-subaru-timing-kit-s-with-kevlar-racing-timing-belt.html

That's the deal I cashed in on.  Would have been nice if they had the racing timing belt included instead of the regular.  I would have paid a few extra bucks for it.
-Chris

Offline rick schumacher

• Elite Member
  • white knuckles
    • Russ' Garage
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 10:09:41 PM »
correct me if im wrong, but 98 was the last year the RS' got the phase1 block
as for ose007, theres not a whole lot of difference
the phase1 block has two different things going on
1st, the pistons on the phase1 block had a lower compression ratio. the faces of the pistons had a large square shape cut into them. the phase2 piston faces are almost flat/flush, with only cuts in the face where the valves would reach close to the pistons.
2nd, on the phase1, the thrust bearing which is the largest of the crank bearings was in the middle, or position #3, and now on the phase2 block, the thrust bearing is in position #5 closest to the flywheel
-the phase1 blocks that accompanied twim cam'd heads, or dohc, where known to have head gasket issues.
i own a 98 RS. they came dohc. the 99+ came sohc, along with the new block, the phase2
i personally, have never had an issue with my head gaskets, but ive been rocking a phase2 replacement since about 130k.
i hope this helps

Offline OSE007

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 10:32:06 PM »
Yeah I was just wondering if I should do the headgaskets when I do the timing belt in another 10K miles or so (I am at 77K). Thanks Rick! Haven't seen ya around campus lately haha. I did see a 98 RS in a Rally Blue Pearl with Goldies on it driving past Nebraska Hall the other week. That wasn't you was it?

Offline rick schumacher

• Elite Member
  • white knuckles
    • Russ' Garage
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »
nope, mines black
that and the lady split, so i moved to omaha
im sure we will see eachother soon enough lol

youll probly see her around campus tho
white fozzy with tire rack banner and nnumerous other stickers
give her a honk, shed love it haha
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:50:13 AM by rick schumacher »

Offline OSE007

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »
Haha yeah I remember seeing ya that one time in the white fozzy. Ill be sure to do that. I live in Omaha and commute to class so I probably see ya around town in Omaha.  :subaru:

Offline Kinky

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »
I just did my timing belt and water pump about 2 months ago with 73k on the Odometer. cost me about 600 at the mechanic parts/labor

Offline cnanfito18

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 03:57:45 PM »
From the information I gathered from you all, I should try and find a kit/deal and take that to say Ron and have him do his thang?

Can I get Ron's input on how much I am looking at to get this done?

Offline TruRu

• Elite Member
  • 2008 WRX - VF52 and supporting mods
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
From the information I gathered from you all, I should try and find a kit/deal and take that to say Ron and have him do his thang?

I couldn't have put it better myself.  PM 00rs, he's the front man for Ron's and is really good about getting back to people during business hours.

Offline cnanfito18

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 07:54:01 PM »

I couldn't have put it better myself.  PM 00rs, he's the front man for Ron's and is really good about getting back to people during business hours.

Sounds like a plan!

Thank you everyone!

Offline ricerswetdream

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
Still have the timing belt if you want it.  If you buy a full timing kit it will be in there but if you buy it all separately I'll let it go for pretty cheap. 
-Chris

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
Don't even take the timing covers off if you don't have intentions of just doing the belt and leaving the water pump, tensioner, and pulleys alone.
-Shawn

Offline cnanfito18

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 09:43:14 PM »
Don't even take the timing covers off if you don't have intentions of just doing the belt and leaving the water pump, tensioner, and pulleys alone.

Would it be a good idea to take care of all of that at once? Sounds like a hefty chunk of change...  Or would I be fine with just doing the timing belt (kit)?