Author Topic: SM - here I come  (Read 2082 times)

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
SM - here I come
« on: February 10, 2005, 07:57:00 AM »
Well, thanks to some searching on my part and the new Falken RT-615 coming out at almost $40 more per tire than the previous model... I'm going to be running in SM for the 2005 NRSCCA Solo II season.

Came across a set of these tires, with only a 6 lap heat cycle into them.

The price was right and they being shipped from Colorado, so I should see them next week. I won't put them on until probablly the first points event or maybe one before that. While it's cold out, I think the Falken Azenis RT-215's on my rims will be the better choice, they do so well in the cold.

So anyway. Should be interesting. I'll be running my Cobb Stage II map instead of my STX legal map and hopefully giving the SM guys a run for their money. My tires aren't ideal, but hopefully the rest of my set-up and what little skill I have can make up for it.

Offline redscooby

• http://
SM - here I come
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 09:49:20 PM »
Go for it Jon.  I know you've been keen to try running on r-comps, so good luck.  It'll be interesting to see you and Chris Clarke duking it out :lol:

Are they shaved or full tread?

Next year I'll probably move into STX, so hopefully you'll like those r-comps so much you'll stay in SM :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 09:50:09 PM by redscooby »
'03 Sedona Red WRX wagon (Cobb stage 2)

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 07:09:12 AM »
They are not shaved. I know Kumho recommend them, but I've talked with others including subaru owners and if you can just keep an eye on their temps and have some decent camber, they'll wear great and last a while. Having better coilovers for more camber this year as well as being used to temp mangement with the Falken's... I should be fine. Just going to have to relearn what tire pressures to run.

I've got some great STX wheels for your Chris  ;)  Still available if you want to make an offer.  :P

Should be fun to go against Chris on R-comps. I did look at the 2004 results and except for a few of the events. My times were right in the top mix of SM. Chris is going to be faster this year too. Hopefully we can both consistantly fight in the 1-2 spot and keep the Mustangs and Hondas at bay.

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 07:26:23 AM »
Hopefully we can both consistantly fight in the 1-2 spot and keep the Mustangs and Hondas at bay.
I think that yellow WRX is more of a concern.   ;)

Last year I only got beat by that Honda once in SM.  It was my first event with the RA1's and I didnít have my springs on at that event either.  As far as the Mustang goes weíll just have to see.  

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 08:28:49 AM »
I know you're faster than your times showed last year Chirs... too many changes from one event to the next for you.

On another note, I crunched some numbers on my unsprung weight reduction.

2004:
Enkei RP02J 17x7.5" - 15.7 lbs
Falken Azenis RT-215 225/45-17 - 25 lbs *heavy pig

40.7 lbs per corner, 162.8 lbs total (actually not too bad)

2004:
SSR Competition 17x7.5" - 12.8 lbs
Kumho Ecsta V700 225/45-17 - 22 lbs

34.8 lbs per corner, 139.2 lbs total (amazing)

Lighter and more grip... Sweet!!!

Overall reduction of 23.6 lbs

They say to factor the true effectiveness of unsprung weight you take your reduced weight difference divide by 3 and add a 3rd.
This gives you the effectiveness or rather the amount of sprung weight you'd have to remove to get the same results.

So I'm looking at a 23.6 lb reduction or an effectiveness of reducing 31.46 lbs of sprung weight. Guess I don't have to go on a diet after all :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 08:37:30 AM by omahasubaru »

Offline redscooby

• http://
SM - here I come
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 04:57:21 PM »
I think that yellow WRX is more of a concern.   ;)

I look forward to seeing a WRX 1-2-3 in SM  :D  ........ but I'm not going to predict the finishing order.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 04:58:13 PM by redscooby »
'03 Sedona Red WRX wagon (Cobb stage 2)

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 07:53:17 AM »
Tim won't be to more than 5 events for the year it sounds.

Should be exciting. I'd like to see more Subaru class winners.

STS & DS & AS need regional Subaru Champions this year.

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 08:48:16 AM »
Should be exciting. I'd like to see more Subaru class winners.
Arenít you ESP legal?  

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 12:17:44 PM »
Even running the STX map I wouldn't be. It's the 'over the winter' turbo re-work that I had done and ceramic coated that doesn't make me ESP legal... so I might as well run SM and run my Stage II map for more fun factor!

I supposed locally I could run ESP, but there really isn't anyone in that class except for Mark. Much more interesting and quicker cars in SM.

Offline bheinz57

• Elite Member
    • http://subaruoutback.org
SM - here I come
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 08:34:36 PM »
What class would I be in if I just happen to wanna race on pavement?  Do any of you know offhand?  I wonder if my OBS would be competitive.  Brian

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 08:48:37 PM »
You'd be in STS. I was competitive in my OBS in STS and it only had the 2.2L N/A engine it in and stock RS suspension.

Tires will be key. I'd think you could finish in the top 5 easily if you're a good driver.

I could maybe loan you some tires if it's one of our earlier events.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 09:39:34 PM »
Sounds like SM will be a very competitive class this year!  If my roommate ever gets some real race tires he could make it even more interesting (my old Civic hybrid).  Good luck to everyone in SM.  

I'll try my best in AS for as long as I'm able to race until my schedule changes (then my AutoX days will be over).   :(  Are there going to be any AutoX sites in Omaha this year?  I know the S2000's have moved to AS so it should be interesting.  It's possible I'll make a move to STU.  I'm not sure still.

-Todd
-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 08:07:30 PM »
Chris is going to be faster this year too. Hopefully we can both consistantly fight in the 1-2 spot and keep the Mustangs and Hondas at bay.
Yes I will be.  :P  Bike is sold.....I get coilovers.   B)  

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
SM - here I come
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 06:56:02 AM »
Chris is going to be faster this year too. Hopefully we can both consistantly fight in the 1-2 spot and keep the Mustangs and Hondas at bay.
Yes I will be.  :P  Bike is sold.....I get coilovers.   B)
Congrats,

If you're going with coilovers from Steve... you may want to call me for his phone number as he's out of town at the moment.

I guess we'll have to work together to dial in our cars this year! You'll get the nicer/newer re-designed coilovers that should be lighter than the previous version ones I'm getting.