Author Topic: Locating transmission fluids in omaha?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline PhamilySedan

• Elite Member
    • http://www.nebraska-subaru.com
Locating transmission fluids in omaha?
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »
Hey guys, I really need to change the fluid in my 04 sti 6 speed, I am currently running motul 300, its alright, never grinds and shifts a little firm.

I would like to try out scottys cocktail, consists of 1x GM syncromesh, 2x Castrol Hypo-C 80w-90 and 1x Redline Lightweight shockproof.

Does anybody know where I can find these fluids in omaha?

"Yet another reason I wish I was rich. I would own Crawfords LGT, Block's Gumball, and david's RSTi..."
-Random dude on SoCal Subie

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
Re: Locating transmission fluids in omaha?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:58 PM »
Not sure about scotty's, but tank/Explicit Motorsports can hook you up with Subaru Extra-S OEM synthetic fluid. I've done 2 fills with Extra-S in my 6spd, and it shifts great. You can also use it in the rear diff, so no need to buy 2 types of fluid. Read up about Extra-S and you'll find nothing but positive reviews. That, and you gotta love that it is OEM quality.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline PhamilySedan

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »
This is very true, I really wanted to do the scottys mix, my transmission sees a nice amount of power on a daily basis, I want to keep it safe.

But I might have to go with the oem fluids.

"Yet another reason I wish I was rich. I would own Crawfords LGT, Block's Gumball, and david's RSTi..."

Offline WheelGap

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »
Don't put Shockproof in anything.   The first I heard about this was over on RallyAnarchy in a post by a guy that does dogbox re/builds for Cascade Autosport, and the deal is there's something in the Shockproof additives that gets spun out and is of a waxy consistency.  This stuff works its way into the needle bearing cages preventing lubrication from reaching them, clogs syncro grooves and can block oiling passages.  He curses the stuff, calls it Shock "poof".

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,46222,46262#msg-46262

I saw some confirmation of this on the TRE website, and if you don't know TRE is big in the Evo drivetrain world:

http://www.teamrip.com/manual_transmission_gear_oil_recommendation_info.html

I have some anecdotal evidence as well, Dave Kern used the stuff in his PPIHC Evo and suffered front & rear diff failures in a relatively short time period and they were brand new diffs.

There's plenty of quality lubricants out there, I don't see any reason to risk using Shockproof, even as part of a cocktail. 
My Rally-America Evo gets its prep on at Russ's Garage!

@SPEvo112 | spevo112.tumblr.com

Offline tank

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »
This is very true, I really wanted to do the scottys mix, my transmission sees a nice amount of power on a daily basis, I want to keep it safe.

But I might have to go with the oem fluids.

I've tried uncle scottys cocktail.. it sucked lol

Offline Elm

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I've used Royal Purple Max gear in the 6 Speed in my old WRX and my STi with good results.
2005 Aspen White Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
I've tried uncle scottys cocktail.. it sucked lol

Can't be true!  Uncle is the man!   :P   ^_^

I'm not positive but I think Ultimate Performance has Redline.  I also used Motul in the WRX with great results.  I have Royal Purple Syncromax in the Vette now and after a year and a half don't care for it at all.  Grinds/pops in to second until the fluid is warm then it's fine.  Sad thing is I only have around 9k miles on it. 

Offline PhamilySedan

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 04:46:37 PM »
Well, I know the motul 300 doesnt grind, I might stick with it, I am kindof doubting I can find it locally though

Does anybody know anywhere that sells motul LOL?

If worse comes to worse I will run some stock fluid  :P

Offline PhamilySedan

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
Also, dont I need a t70 torx socket to remove drain and fill plugs on the transmission?

What about the rear end?  I suppose I could jack the car up and look too... lol

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:14:25 PM »
DNS off-road carries the full Motul line of fluids.  I've always like their G300 fluids. But have only really used them in my non-turbo subarus (in the diffs too). Usually cheaper to order online if you can wait a little. I will be putting Motul in the Legacy trans this weekend hopefully, have been running it in the diff for a few years.

I'm not sure what I'm going to put in my RX car, but that Subaru Extra-S OEM synthetic fluid sounds like a decent choice.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:42:34 PM by omahasubaru »

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:29:26 PM »
I've got a 1/2" drive  T70 Torx you can borrow if you go with the Extra S. Seriously, give it a try. OEM synthetic that will handle whatever you throw at it. I'm running it with 350+ HP at the wheels. What are you pushing? Extra S is the way to go.

The second trans bolt and the 2 rear diff bolts should be standard metric bolts, 12 or 14mm I believe.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline solomrus

• Elite Member
  • 4tehfstr
    • russ' garage
there's always time for lube...
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
don't use redline around here, since it gets nice and cold out. i used to run it in the tremec 5 speed i put in the old mustang coupe. it was almost impossible to shift gears at any temps below 32 degrees.

not a fan of the "coctail" bs, for much the same reasons that tony evidences. these different lubes are NOT formulated to work together long term. yes, they might FEEL better right now, but to the expense of a set of syncro's and bearing damage? if you must use the stuff, i LOVE building subaru manual transmissions. and not just because they are expensive to fix. 8^)

you'd be better off using the house brand hypoid gear oil from any of the many auto parts stores around here. run a 20-25k mile service interval, and be regular about it. hypoid gear oil is tough stuff, and even with those miles on it, you will see very little breakdown.

if you want a nice, inexpensive full synth solution, i highly recommend the mobile one 75w-90 hypoid. runs about 10$/q, is easy to get, and will do really well in a driver. if you want to spend twice as much coin, because you gotta have a cool-looking oil, by all means spend it on the royal purple product. i love their gear oil, but not a huge fan of their engine rated stuff.

--r

Offline WheelGap

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 08:02:52 AM »
Since Russ chimed in here...

I have some drive train fluids sitting around and I'll have you replace them in the Evo and here's what I got using the TRE recommendations:

Transaxle: Motul 300 GEAR
Transfer case/rear diff: REDLINE 80W-140 GL-5 GEAR OIL

I was on the fence with the transfer case/rear diff, that 140 seems like a pretty high viscosity but maybe for a car that spends most of its time at WOT, that's not such a terrible thing.  I won't be driving it in the winter, so maybe 80W-140 will give me a little extra protection.  I think the OEM stuff is something like 75W-90.

Here's the salient TRE pages for the transfer case and rear diff fluid recommendations:

http://www.teamrip.com/transfer_case_hypoid_gear_oil_recommendation_info.html

http://www.teamrip.com/rear_axle_hypoid_gear_oil_recommendation_info.html

So, whadda think about the 80W-140, bad idea?  Good idea?

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 11:34:09 AM »
cool to see TRE recommends Motul G300. ;)

Offline WheelGap

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
Well, looking around it seems like the gear lubes that have a higher hot viscosity are the ones recommended for racing.  Apparently the high viscosity rating on the hot side translates to a more constant viscosity and film thickness across the temp range.

I just assumed that 140 would mean the stuff would get syrupy when hot, but it seems like it means it won't lose all its viscosity and film strength when it's hot.

Offline PhamilySedan

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 01:22:44 PM »
I've got a 1/2" drive  T70 Torx you can borrow if you go with the Extra S. Seriously, give it a try. OEM synthetic that will handle whatever you throw at it. I'm running it with 350+ HP at the wheels. What are you pushing? Extra S is the way to go.

The second trans bolt and the 2 rear diff bolts should be standard metric bolts, 12 or 14mm I believe.

Sweet! Hey send me a text, Im going to see if I cant get some fluid from explicit today, and my sti is close to 500whp. 4029816355

Edit: I called Explicit at 2:00pm, left them a message! :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:28:14 PM by PhamilySedan »

Offline PhamilySedan

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »

Sweet! Hey send me a text, Im going to see if I cant get some fluid from explicit today, and my sti is close to 500whp. 4029816355

Edit: I called Explicit at 2:00pm, left them a message! :D

Russ, I am the black Sti with Jason in the SHO the other night  :subaru:

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »
You've got a text