Author Topic: Need help  (Read 1533 times)

Offline cnanfito18

Need help
« on: November 03, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
Leaking (maybe blown, not sure how to tell) head gasket. I don't think it's a job I can or should take on myself. Any ideas on how much it's going to cost me? I called a place out in Millard and they quoted me some outrageous amount.

Offline cnanfito18

Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 06:40:04 PM »
I guess I should say, who can I bring it to? Ron? Russ? Who can get it fixed either tomorrow or Saturday?

Offline arau

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »
Uh well if its head gaskets...your talking more then a day. As like the motor is coming out. I doubt its the head gaskets. Is it your valve cover gaskets?
1998 GW   Legacy GT LTD. -SOLD
2003 WRB Impreza WRX W/STI mods.
1999 RBP  Impreza 2.5 RS-SOLD
2000 SM   Impreza 2.5 RS-JDM EJ20K-SOLD
1997 GW  Impreza OBS
1996 GW   Legacy GT Wagon

Offline cnanfito18

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
Uh well if its head gaskets...your talking more then a day. As like the motor is coming out. I doubt its the head gaskets. Is it your valve cover gaskets?

I understand that it is a lenghty process. It's leaking oil (I can see a small amount of smoke)... I really couldn't tell you arau, it just started today and I have about as much knowledge on how to diagnose these problems as a rock.

Offline arau

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »

I understand that it is a lenghty process. It's leaking oil (I can see a small amount of smoke)... I really couldn't tell you arau, it just started today and I have about as much knowledge on how to diagnose these problems as a rock.

i think im correct on this i think, correct me if im wrong but if it was a head gasket issue, you would see coolant in your oil. or other way around as oil in your coolant. i guess check your dip stick and over flow tank. and is the smoke coming from the passenger side?
1998 GW   Legacy GT LTD. -SOLD
2003 WRB Impreza WRX W/STI mods.
1999 RBP  Impreza 2.5 RS-SOLD
2000 SM   Impreza 2.5 RS-JDM EJ20K-SOLD
1997 GW  Impreza OBS
1996 GW   Legacy GT Wagon

Offline cnanfito18

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »

i think im correct on this i think, correct me if im wrong but if it was a head gasket issue, you would see coolant in your oil. or other way around as oil in your coolant. i guess check your dip stick and over flow tank. and is the smoke coming from the passenger side?

I will check the oil and coolant in the morning. Yes, the smoke is from the passenger side.

Is the problem that you think it is less of a problem?

Offline Stevec

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:53:58 PM »
Head gaskets don't always leak into oil or coolant.
They can leak externally( recall on 2.5 head gaskets on certain years). They can leak into combustion chamber.
If your leaking oil its most likely your valve cover gaskets. 
1999 Subaru Impreza L sedan
And yes I'm a anime geek..
Working as a mechanic and getting ready to take ASE tests

Offline ricerswetdream

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »
^Like they said. 

If it's a head gasket issue the car will be overheating 99% of the time as well.  If it's an oil leak, it's probably just a valve cover gasket, those are known to go bad over time.  Could also be a cam seal or some orther seal on the head.
-Chris

Offline tank

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:13:02 PM »
The most common leak on ths passenger side is the pcv gasket. Passenger side rear section of the block..

Offline cnanfito18

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »
Well it looks like there is just a leak coming from the timing belt housing. John at Ron's Garage is going to get her all fixed up for me on Monday  ;D