Author Topic: DIY Dent Removal  (Read 697 times)

Offline cnanfito18

DIY Dent Removal
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »
Has anyone every tried any form of DIY dent removal? I have about 10+ penny to nickle sized hail dents on my hood that I need to get removed. None of them are on a crease, just on the flat part of the hood.

Offline ricerswetdream

Re: DIY Dent Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:00:02 AM »
Sometimes you can get lucky with a can of compressed air (air duster) and some heat.....

Heat up the spot till it gets really hot (blow dryer works, heat gun is better - don't melt the paint or anything, just too hot to touch), and then hit it with the compressed air upside down (aka it sprays out the frozen gas). 

If it works the dent pops right out... I tried it on all my hail dents with no success though, maybe my wife's blowdryer just wansn't getting it hot enough.  There's videos of it on youtube working on large dents though.
-Chris

Offline watercrawl

• Marr Knives
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:15:22 AM »
I watched my brother in law do something similar, but had dry ice as the cold....it did work on my wife's car for a couple little dents. 

Offline ZETA

• スバルダイスキ
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:20:59 PM »
Try using a heat gun (but be careful with the heat, someone mentioned the paint and I agree.)  It will get hot enough to burn paper if you let it sit, make "generalized" circles over the dented area so you dont focus the heat and get it up to temp, then try again with the duster/dry ice.  I can't be responsible if the paint reacts to this and cracks in a spiderweb pattern from shrinking too fast...but it's worth a shot if you really don't mind the risk.  the other thing you can do is remove the underhood lining and take a ball-peen hammer to it (don't smack the car hard though) and just keep lightly tapping it out, do be careful though no matter which path you go with.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »
why risk paint damage, when you can get PDR done?

Sounds like most dents mentioned are small, and we have a great sponsor of these forums that is a wizard w/ PDR.

Offline xI Light Ix

• Elite Member
  • Dustin
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:46 PM »
I tried the canned air and had no luck in the past

Cleared lights, DLR delete, K&N Typhoon, 20% tint, Greddy Evo 2 Cb,
Invidia V2 Dp, Perring Up, , Stage 2 WRXNFX Tune

Offline cnanfito18

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
The more I read about it, the more I think I'm not even going to attempt it. I will probably just give Heartland a call to get it done.

Offline ZETA

• スバルダイスキ
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 09:05:43 AM »
Would probably be best.