Author Topic: My experiences with the Beardmore Service Dept.  (Read 8985 times)

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
My experiences with the Beardmore Service Dept.
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »
Well, lets see.  As long as I have Beardmore do minor jobs…I have few issues with their service.  Anytime they have done any major jobs for me, it gets jacked up. 

We’ll start with my 02 OBS.  I bought it in Chicago with two leaky head gaskets.  It was a factory recall job on that year, so I had Beardmore do them.  To start with, they did the job.  Cool.  Then when I got my car back it was having stuttering problems.  When I gave it gas, it would start stuttering.  So, I took it back to Beardmore.  They call me and tell me it may be this sensor…ok change it….that sensor…ok change it.  Oh, it’s still not fixed?  “We just can’t figure out what is wrong?”  Then they say, "it could be your fuel pump or injectors, do you want to go that route?" 
    Oh, then it dawns on them…maybe we should do a tune up.  “Would you like us to do a full tune up?”  At this point, the service was near $1000 with labor and parts mind you.  So I say, "no change the plugs first, then well do the rest."  They called me a little later and told me that my car had the original plugs in it and they were toast.  Then they go on to tell me that the tech was supposed to check them when he did the head gasket recall and he didn’t.  So, I had to pay for all this for NOTHING!!!! 
     Even though the tech was supposed to check them, when I brought my car back they didn’t check the simple issues first, instead they went for the expensive stuff first.  Oh, but my car got new sensors (which it didn’t need) and stuff, so I still had to pay for it.
     Then a month later, I find that I am leaking oil.  I take it back to them…..oh the headgasket job on one side was faulty, so they did it again.  Then a couple months later, it happened again.  This time I took it to Stan Olsen and they fixed it properly.
This is when I met Russ and started having him fix stuff.

Next, was my 02 WRX fuel rail recall.  The fuel smell was pretty much non existent on the WRX, but I figured what the heck, so I took it to them.  When I got my car back I had a little smoke coming out of the scoop.  The longer it sat still, the more came out.  Then at a stop light my temp guage spiked.  So, I called them and told them that something was wrong…they said bring it back.  So, I take it back and they look at it on the spot, awesome.  So, the tech comes back and says I burped your system and its just residual burn off.  I blew it off and its fine now.  So I am relieved and back to my day.  I really didn’t have time to waste on this as my day was full.  On my way home, I get to a light and my temp guage just spikes again.  Then I started driving and it went down, so I just headed home as I didn’t have time to address it.  When I got home I popped my hood and look at the block and it is saturated with coolant.  So, later that night I sopped it up clean and ran my car two blocks.  When I got home, the block was sopped again.  The next morning I called and raised ####.  They said bring it back.  So, I did.  I originally took my car to them in fully working order and now it was screwed.  They ended up claiming that it was a hose clamp that went bad and that it was old and brittle, that’s what caused it.  Whatever.  My car was fine before it went in.  The only good thing about this was as I was dinging out in the office I mentioned that the OBS needed some exhaust and Mike let me have an STI stock catback that was going to scrap.

Now, present day.  My FXT had the fuel rail issue.  I don’t mind the fumes, but it was really bad some days, and I don’t want my 2 year old son huffing gas fumes.  They quoted me the price, I said ouch, and then okay.  So they take my car in.  I get a call in late that day and they tell me that they ordered the wrong parts for it.  They had ordered the parts for a WRX, and not an FXT.  04 FXT’s have STI yellow side feed injectors, not topfeeds.  So, I have to wait for the new kit.  I expressed to them that I cannot do without a car and asked for a loaner.  They had all their loaners out, but would get me a rental they said.  Long story short, they put me in a Mazda 2 clowncar!  It was smaller than a Geo Metro!  Pure ridiculous.  Anyways, at least I had wheels.  At this point I don’t have a time frame for this whole ordeal, but I dropped my car off on Wed of last week, and didn’t get it back until Thurs of this week.  So, then they call and tell me that part of my intake is cracked and needs to be replaced and since they are in there no labor.  So, I say go ahead and change it.  Going over the bill last night I found that this was my turbo inlet, so good fix but if they would have told me it was the inlet I probably would have sourced an aftermarket one for them to put in. 
     So, then the kit comes in early this week.  Mike tells me that they will be done with my car in a few hours….cool…no, that’s awesome!  Then I get a call a few hours later, expecting for my ride to be done.  Nope.  In fact not only is it not done, but I am informed that “the tech broke a nipple on a valve, because it was old and brittle.  Don’t worry well split the cost with you and charge no labor.”  REALLY?????  The tech broke something and you will only charge me half?  That is the GREATEST thing I have ever heard.  My car is an 04, has never been in dry arid climate!  And the nipple was old and brittle huh?  BS.  So, I dung out and told him I wasn’t an idiot and explained that I have plenty of time wrenching at this point, that I know things happen but something like that is usually because the person wasn’t careful taking the hose off and I wasn’t paying for it.  Then they say, “Well, we’ll work with you on it.”  REALLY???  Again, the tech messed up, and now I have to pay for it?  BS.  So, I told him that I originally agreed to the fuel rail fix and the cracked pipe and that is all I would pay for.  I originally took my car in for a non required job that was to cost a little over $400 with parts and labor, now they are telling me that my parts alone were over $600!!!  NOPE.  Don’t think so.  So, we find a common ground of me paying for the fuel rail fix, and the turbo inlet. 
     So then you think, okay it was a pain but at least I get my car back.  Ohhhh, then last night I realize that my boost guage is off.  Then I remember that when I got into my car the ashtray was on the passenger seat.  Then I call Russ and ask if they would be in my dash for any reason.  No sir. 
     Well, I get my car in some light and realize that not only is the lighting off, but there is no pressure going to the guage as well.  WTF!!!!!!!!!!  So, I take my car home and inspect.  The air supply is bypassed/unplugged.  They did hook it up straight to the recirc, however that doesn’t explain why it is not lighting up.  I checked the wires and they are still hooked up, but no power??? 

At this point, they have done nothing but mess my cars up over and over.  I am not blaming Mike as he has worked hard attempting to fix the wrongs.  He is a good service manager.  I just don’t have faith that my car will get fixed properly by their service department.  I truly feel for those of you that have to deal with them for warranty reasons.  My advice is that if you have a major job that needs done, look elsewhere.  This is my last time giving them a chance.  Maybe for tire stuff, but they have jacked my wheels up before as well so probably not.  I am not just posting this to ##### , I have enough people that will listen.  I just want other fellow members to be aware of these issues and know that it can also happen to you.  Thank you
Shawn Bogatz…..aka Bogey

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
Re: My experiences with the Beardmore Service Dept.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
Sorry to hear the bad luck.  I always cringe when I have to drop my car off at a dealership.  Wish Corx still worked there.  He always seemed to take care of my car.
So, they are breaking things and charging for the things they broke.  Is this a way of paying for the remodel?  <<<<this is a joke of sorts.

Offline arau

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »
Ohh So i will ad to this as i was talking to bogey last night!

So this also happened at Beardmore with my 98 LGT.  So My valve Covers were leaking so i had them replace the gaskets and seals on them. No problem. So i take it in and drop it off. I later get a phone call saying that my spark plug wires had broke apart from age and wear. Im like that is complete BS. I had just done a tune up on it a month before and i had put in brand new NGK Wires. and kid you not, you know how much those cost. So i explain to them this and there like, well we will get you new ones at our cost. Im like ok cool. So i pick my car up, i look it over and im like The #####  it this ****?? they had replaced my $100 NGK spark plug wires with cheap ###  car quest $20 wires. Im like no... im not accepting these. then i look and my windshield fluid bottle is sideways.. im like the ##### ?? the tech had snapped the bolts on the fluid tank and it was zip tied... ZIP TIED! are you kidding me??
So long story short, i #####  and complain and the $350 job cost me $180 due to this stuff.  so life go's on. The next time i take the Legacy in there, i had a coolant flush done to it. i get a phone call and Mike tells me the Tech had snapped the neck off the Radiator.. As goes on says we will split the cost... Im like that was the Techs fault, not mine... So i end paying like $50 more for the job where the new rad. cost $400 and he wanted me to pay $200. i was no.. don't think so. So with my experiences at Beardmore as the Same as what Bogey was explaining his issues.

So then and so then, I traded the legacy in on my now wrx at Stan Olsen's. they had told me that they had just done the Fuel Rail Recall. Im like oh that's good. But before i had bought it, i took it to my old work and put it up on the lift, i was looking as was like. uhh my front diff. was leaking and they said they had changed the fluids including my AT fluid, well they didnt change the filter on the AT. So i go back and im like well i want all this fixed before i sign papers. So they did, i was happy.

So life goes on, and fast forward to last week, I had Russ do TGV Deletes and had a Manifold and other stuff powder coated. So Russ and crew start to pull off my stuff on the car. I get a call from Emjay and she was like... "Umm.. who did your Fuel Rail Recall??" I said stan olsen just did it before i bought it. She said that i need to come take a look because there was no words to describe it. So i go over to Russ' and saw this...

This is my head. Notice the C shape indentation?

This is the bottom of the TGV.

Stan Olsen's had put a clamp like this:

sandwiched in between my head and the bottom of the TGV. But.. there was no clamp in sight but something had shot out when Russ had pulled my Mani off.. Were thinking they had a piece of clamp still stuck in there. And We were surprised it was not leaking there.

So long story short, Stan olsen's had done a **** job and the tech did not take there time and patience like they should. Im just letting people know that they should just beware of the the stuff that goes on at dealerships. And that being "certified" does not mean jack crap. Obviousness from the above stories and Bogeys run in's... well explains a lot. So for now on, my car is never, ever! seeing a dealership again. It will be going to the RG! where good work is performed and you get Warm Welcomes and service.   8)
1998 GW   Legacy GT LTD. -SOLD
2003 WRB Impreza WRX W/STI mods.
1999 RBP  Impreza 2.5 RS-SOLD
2000 SM   Impreza 2.5 RS-JDM EJ20K-SOLD
1997 GW  Impreza OBS
1996 GW   Legacy GT Wagon

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »
Wow.  :o:-\:unsure::angry::sadbanana

Offline thrillamilla

• Nice car. What's the retail on one of those?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »
Dang guys! That's a lot of bad stuff goin on...and now you have me paranoid about my car. I just got the fuel recall done this morning at Duteau in Lincoln, so far so good but I drove it maybe a mile to get home so I guess we'll see :-\

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
Funny Kev, you're the second one to make the remodel "joke"  :)

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
Thrilla- just look for some stuck clamps...if youre not smoking by now, I wouldnt worry  ^_^

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 04:18:03 PM »
Wow, just amazing stories. That's why I do as much of my own work I can and have Russ do the rest. Right now, he's the only one I trust working on my car.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 04:43:37 PM »
Does Jim Shafer still work at Beardmore? 

Offline Stevec

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
I second the dealership problems they happen here in North Platte as well. I work in a regular shop. I've learn patience is good cause if not I'd be doing the job over and not getting payed for it.
1999 Subaru Impreza L sedan
And yes I'm a anime geek..
Working as a mechanic and getting ready to take ASE tests

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »
Chris, I'm not sure if he does or not.  Seems like the usual suspects haven't been in the office last couple of time I was there.  I used to see 3 or 4 guys, lately just mike and one other guy.

Offline arau

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 09:55:06 PM »
Corx is not there any more.
1997 GW  Impreza OBS

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »
Thats not fun to have mechanic issues. I've always tried my hardest to find a mechanic that I trust over taking it to a dealer.

I've always had luck with Russ and also a place in Lincoln called Trade Center Automotive. Other then that, I'm doing the work on my own.

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »
I called them about the boost guage, but at this point I have no intention on letting them touch my car.

Offline Xafen

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »
I guess this just double confirms my worries.  I took delivery on my 2012 Impreza Dec. 31st.  The next weekend I drove to Lincoln , and after poking around my car just admiring it, and the engine, I found a rag detail left in my engine bay.  I'm just glad they didn't leave it on the manifold.  I just thought the engine bay looked like **** (water spots everywhere, no attempt to dry it), but it got much worse when I found the rag.

A bit off topic, where's the nearest certified dealer that we can trust for warranty work (When I was looking at the Jetta TDIs, the nearest trusted TDI shops were in Wichita and Kansas City)?  I assume you don't have to go to the dealer you bought the vehicle from, just a certified dealer?  Should I be at all worried if the master brake cylinder recall was done correctly?

Also, you get your first oil change free with them, should I trust that will be done without causing any problems?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:17:28 AM by Xafen »

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
This is just a testament to my experience with Beardmore.  The only time I took my car to Stan Olsen they did my work correctly, but Arau's fuel recall job doesnt look that great.  I do my own oil changes, but I have had the dealership do a couple here and there.  I dont usually worry about those kinds of jobs.  My advice is ALWAYS inspect your car and the job that was done, regardless of where you take your car.  That goes for even oil changes.  Checking your oil is very important.  The engine design of our cars makes it even more important to monitor your oil levels than say an inline 4 or v engine.  I loaned my car to my brother and he had the oil changed so he could take it to KC for a weekend.  When it got back my oil levels were dropping and it was making spots on my drive.  My car doesnt leak, so I knew it was the oil change.  I dont know where he took it, but they way over torqued the oil pan bolt, and under torqued the filter.  Things happen.
I am not a certified mechanic, nor am I claiming to be an expert, but if your brakes work fine and there is no leaking from you master cylinder, I would assume it is okay.  :)

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »
Does Jim Shafer still work at Beardmore? 

No. He hasn't for almost 4 years now iirc. He works for Certified Transmission now.

Offline milesej05

• Currently: Subieless :(
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 05:31:22 PM »
I have had a few problems with Beardmore as well all dealing with the wheel bearing problem I had last summer, although Mike finally figured it out for me. 

Mid May:
I had been hearing a screeching noise from my front driver side wheel for about 2 weeks prior and I finally took it in to Beardmore to drop it off.  The next day I got a call from Mike saying they didn't hear a noise so I went and picked my car back up and Mike said if I heard the noise again on the way back to Gretna that I should turn around and bring it back in.  Well about halfway home I started to hear it again and I didn't want to deal with the traffic again so I continued home. 

Beginning of June:
I dropped my car off again at Beardmore as the sound got worse in the two weeks I was driving around since the time I picked it up in Mid-May.  I told Mike the sound had gotten worse and to drive the car around instead of just putting it on the lift to check for the noise.  I got a call about an hour later saying the techs didn't hear any noise coming from the wheel so I came back in (as I was just across the street at Meinike).  I asked them if they drove the car around and he said no but they put it on the lift and used the stethoscope to listen for a noise.  I asked Mike if it was Okay to take my car out on Fort Crook Road to see if I could hear the noise again.  I hadn't even left the dealership parking lot yet and had already heard it but I continued out of the parking lot and went South on the frontage road to the storage center and drove slow along there so the sound echoed.  I went back to Beardmore and asked Mike to come and take a ride with me around for a bit.  So he hopped in the rear drivers side seat so he could hear the sound more and I took it back over to the storage facilities.  He said he could hear a faint sound so we went back to the dealership and he put it back up on a lift.  Spun the wheels and could DEFINATELY hear the sound and he said they were listening more for a whoorling noise even though I said it was a schreeching noise. 

long story short, they finally fixed it under warranty...but other than that I try not to go there but go to Meinike where my buddy works in Bellevue to get all my work done.

Offline arau

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »
This is just a testament to my experience with Beardmore.  The only time I took my car to Stan Olsen they did my work correctly, but Arau's fuel recall job doesnt look that great.  I do my own oil changes, but I have had the dealership do a couple here and there.  I dont usually worry about those kinds of jobs.  My advice is ALWAYS inspect your car and the job that was done, regardless of where you take your car.  That goes for even oil changes.  Checking your oil is very important.  The engine design of our cars makes it even more important to monitor your oil levels than say an inline 4 or v engine.  I loaned my car to my brother and he had the oil changed so he could take it to KC for a weekend.  When it got back my oil levels were dropping and it was making spots on my drive.  My car doesnt leak, so I knew it was the oil change.  I dont know where he took it, but they way over torqued the oil pan bolt, and under torqued the filter.  Things happen.
I am not a certified mechanic, nor am I claiming to be an expert, but if your brakes work fine and there is no leaking from you master cylinder, I would assume it is okay.  :)

Like what Bogey said, its in all very important to check your car over when you get it back,(if you can). One of my buddys car got worked on and when he went to pick it up it had red paint on the fender, his car was white lol. Who ever had drove it/worked on it etc hit something red be as a car or poll or whatever but just check it over for sakes.  ^_^

And yes these car's life lines are oil and oil and oil. lol. Just taking a sharp turn with low oil can blow your engine. Where ive seen people with V-Engines and so on drive with low oil for long periods of time with no real effect (long term.. who knows?)

So all in all, if you have your car worked on, just check it over and all should be good. Unless you have a clamp between stuff, lol then you really cant check it.  :P
1997 GW  Impreza OBS

Offline asantiST185

• Novice
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »
Well this scares me a little bit now.  I just got my car back from beardmore for the fuel recall.  So far so good but its only been 2 days since ive had it back

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
Well this scares me a little bit now.  I just got my car back from beardmore for the fuel recall.  So far so good but its only been 2 days since ive had it back

It shouldnt...Im sure those were isolated incidents...Ive been dealing with Beardmore's service dept for almost 8 years now, and Ive never had a problem.  They are definately the best in the area.   

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 02:57:48 PM »
My bad luck maybe....all I know is I am done dealing with them.  Everytime I get hosed financially, and my car ends up being jacked up.  They called and left a message about the boost guage.  The tech said that he needed to take the surround off the gear shifter to put it into neutral  :angry: didnt know you couldnt put the key in ignition and put it into neutral, is this a new technique? and all he disconnected was the power wire from battery and the air hose.  Now, I have no juice to my guage.  No more major work done there period.  Maybe Ill let them kick my tires and tell me that I need a new 02 sensor or something when I have extra money to blow. 

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 01:41:07 AM »
My bad luck maybe....all I know is I am done dealing with them.  Everytime I get hosed financially, and my car ends up being jacked up.  They called and left a message about the boost guage.  The tech said that he needed to take the surround off the gear shifter to put it into neutral  :angry: didnt know you couldnt put the key in ignition and put it into neutral, is this a new technique? and all he disconnected was the power wire from battery and the air hose.  Now, I have no juice to my guage.  No more major work done there period.  Maybe Ill let them kick my tires and tell me that I need a new 02 sensor or something when I have extra money to blow.

That sucks Bogey, seems like we really dont have a rock star dealer in this region.  Ive had major issues with Edwards and Olsen and refuse to go there.

Well now that I think about it, Ive never had any "major" work done there at Beardmore.  I request that Jim Shaefer work on my car everytime that I have taken it there.  Anything that wasnt warrantied I just take it to the subaru jesus (Russ) or Rons garage. 

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »
I'm sure that there are plenty of people that havent had issues, otherwise they wouldnt have a service department :).  I just have been burned.  To the Jesus it goes from here on out.  Getting my RG tattoo tomorrow  :o

Offline ZETA

• スバルダイスキ
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
Man, I'm sorry you guys feel that way about our service department, but I feel worse that our service department had allowed these situations to happen to you.  And to think that I almost became a mechanic there  :o

I've always done all of my own work to my car though since Saturns aren't too difficult to work on (well, thanks to a certain YouTube channel of a technician).  I figured I'd do my own work on my Subaru when I get one as well.