Author Topic: My experiences with the Beardmore Service Dept.  (Read 8535 times)

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
Re: My experiences with the Beardmore Service Dept.
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 03:57:13 PM »
Resorection Post And Mad As ####

• Had my car towed to Beardmore on March 9, 2012 to have my transmission looked at and ticking noise diagnosed
  • March 13, 2012 I get a call back saying my center diff snap ring broke and my trans is shot. SOA will NOT cover this.
  • Make a few calls back and forth with SOA in Cherry Hill, NJ to no avail (yet :angry: )
  • Am told the repairs are anywhere between $2700 and $3000  :cry:
  • Call SOA again to try to make them see the light that I'm not a d-bag driver and I believe this isn't my fault
  • Over the next couple weeks I figure out legal ways to get $3000  :P .  Also authorized Beardmore to start repairs on my car so I can pick it up as soon as possible (March 22, 2012)
  • Long story short I get my car refinanced locally with the additional $3000 available to me so I can pick my car up (April 2, 2012)
  • Stopped in to Beardmore April 2, 2012 around 3:30pm to pick my car up...it hasn't even been touched and the tech that is doing the work "had to leave early". Said it should be done April 4, 2012...today
  • Call Beardmore around 4:00pm today to see if it will be ready to pick up since I had to go to the bank that closes at 5:00pm to get the funds out.
  • Still havent started on it...and telling me there is a car with head gaskets waiting to get done before my car. 
About to go ape-**** on a mother ##### !!!

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »
man, that sucks.

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »
I like your enthusiasm Zeta!!!  Most of us used to work on our cars.  It is good times, however I no longer have the time and would rather pay someone to fix it for me.  I will still do some stuff, but I do hate working with tranny fluid and I refuse to do any major repairs myself.  I feel that I only want people in my engine that know what they are doing, and odds are if my car is there I certainly do not.  :)  If one has the knowledge and ability to do so it makes ya feel good to work on your own shite.

Kev, so warranty wont cover it?  Or you are past your factory warranty and SOA is refusing to say it is a lemon tranny issue?  I feel for you either way brotha!!!  The waiting game sucks when it comes to transportation also.  They had to get me a rental last time around because they were ordering the wrong parts and breaking stuff.  Keep us posted sir!!!!

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:07 PM »
Kev, so warranty wont cover it?  Or you are past your factory warranty and SOA is refusing to say it is a lemon tranny issue?

I'd be interested to know that too.  I know of two local dealers who have preformed tranny work/tranny replacements on club members cars in the past which were not only raced but moded.  Kind of funny how the tides have changed with old Beardmore over the years. 

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 06:11:34 AM »
The powertrain warranty is alive and well. Still have 10,000 miles left of the 60,000 mile warranty. SOA has tightened up their butthole on what's covered it seems.

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »
You know whats funny about Beardmore Subaru? They have a BIG banner on the base gym that basically says "Beardmore Subaru....Wanna Race??..then a picture of a STi hatchback...." WTF??? lol
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 10:25:40 AM »
The powertrain warranty is alive and well. Still have 10,000 miles left of the 60,000 mile warranty. SOA has tightened up their butthole on what's covered it seems.

I think some of it has to do with who you are or how much ###  you kiss too.  I spoke with the Subaru regional manager at a Subaru Challenge years back and the topic of what's covered under warranty was mentioned and I brought up how it was funny when something gets covered for one person and not the other.  One instance I brought up he said it most definitely should not have been covered.  I had no dog in the fight since my warranty was WAY void but itís still the point of one dealer covering things under warranty while others wonít. 

Offline whitewgn02

• http://
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »
I was just wondering the same thing.  Would it have helped to go to another dealership??

Personally I'd only go to a dealership for warranty work that is covered by them.  If I have to pay for it I'd take it to another shop that I know and trust like Russ'.  Especially if the dealership is giving you the run around.   

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 12:17:24 AM »
Im not sure how it works in Corporate Subaru America, but my father in law was a regional parts and service manager for many years for Toyota.  Part of his job was to give the thumbs up or down on these types of jobs.  I remember one instance where a guy owned an new FJ Cruiser a couple years back and he roasted the tranny offroading.  My father in law denied warranty service on it.  The guy hadnt had dealer servicing the whole life of his car.  He said that if the guy had done his servicing with the dealer, than he would have covered it but since he had no idea what kind of history the owner put it through he refused.
The guy got pissed and said that he was going to take it to a different dealership and my father in law laughed at that, because he was the regional for the whole area and parts of the neighboring state. 

Each Toyota dealership also have some give on deciding as well.  The dealership could still do the work if they decide to do the service anyways, but no reimbursement would come from corporate.  There were other loop holes as well. 

A lot of time I am sure it comes down to who is friendly with who and who's backs are getting scratched the right ways.   

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 07:30:56 AM »
The problem with my situation now is once I'm denied by SOA then all dealerships will follow the lead.
I honestly think Beardmore could've backed me a little better than they did. Their service seems to be slipping in the care department.
When I first got my car whatever little thing was wrong got looked at right away.  I went in for a tire balance issue a couple winters ago and it took almost 2.5 hrs.
They didn't appear to be that busy. Not sure if they are hurting for techs whether it's quality or quantity I don't know. But what I hate is being told what I want to hear. Tell me that things are backed up in the shop and trying to get things done as fast as possible. Don't make up excuses like, "Oh, uh, we forgot to order a part."  Now I'm thinking more money coming out of my pocket.

Bogey, write that letter. I'm sure going to.

Offline Paul_N

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 10:12:08 AM »
i had 60k done there, no problems. The only complaint was the time quoted and how long it took. But good otherwise

Offline milesej05

• Currently: Subieless :(
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »
i had 60k done there, no problems. The only complaint was the time quoted and how long it took. But good otherwise

That time quoted and time actually finished idea is one reason why I have been taking my car to a friend that works down the street from Beardmore to do all my work.  Not only do I know the parts get ordered on time, but I can sit and b.s. with him in his shop watching him make sure everything is done right.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »

• Had my car towed to Beardmore on March 9, 2012 to have my transmission looked at and ticking noise diagnosed
  • March 13, 2012 I get a call back saying my center diff snap ring broke and my trans is shot. SOA will NOT cover this.
  • Make a few calls back and forth with SOA in Cherry Hill, NJ to no avail (yet :angry: )
  • Call SOA again to try to make them see the light that I'm not a d-bag driver and I believe this isn't my fault
  • Over the next couple weeks I figure out legal ways to get $3000  :P .  Also authorized Beardmore to start repairs on my car so I can pick it up as soon as possible (March 22, 2012)
  • Long story short I get my car refinanced locally with the additional $3000 available to me so I can pick my car up (April 2, 2012)
  • Stopped in to Beardmore April 2, 2012 around 3:30pm to pick my car up...it hasn't even been touched and the tech that is doing the work "had to leave early". Said it should be done April 4, 2012...today
  • Call Beardmore around 4:00pm today to see if it will be ready to pick up since I had to go to the bank that closes at 5:00pm to get the funds out.
  • Still havent started on it...and telling me there is a car with head gaskets waiting to get done before my car. 
Got a call on Wednesday, April 4th at 7:00pm saying they needed one more part.
Today is Friday, the 6th and still no part and obviously still no car. They tell me Monday now.
Just hung up the phone with them at 3:55pm

Offline VotD26

• Novice
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »

Got a call on Wednesday, April 4th at 7:00pm saying they needed one more part.
Today is Friday, the 6th and still no part and obviously still no car. They tell me Monday now.
Just hung up the phone with them at 3:55pm
I'd get a tow truck and a box and tow it out of there by now. Sounds like they are just feeding you a big load of ****. There are plenty of shops that do good work and don't take forever.
'11 DGM STI
'67 (chevy) C10 stock 327

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 07:23:02 PM »
I'm pretty much at that point. Dealing with them has been a headache.
Only reason it went there was for what I thought was gonna be warranty work.  :sadbanana

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
My experience with them is that if you do have some major work done there, make sure you watch out for side issues that may come up after.  If there are any issues, do some research before you accept them telling you that it is not due to job that they had done.  Things that were working fine tend to break on my cars after they work on them.  They try to make me pay for it everytime as well.  In the end, usually they suck it up as I am educated enough to look the parts and jobs up.

Last time, they actually tried to tell me that a plastic nipple was so dry and old it broke while they were working on my car and I had to replace the part it was attached to.  My car has miles, however not enough for the nipples to be old, dry, and cracking.  Nor has my car ever been in dry arid climate.  Plus, I have been under my hood and know the condition of the engine bay.  The tech was improperly taking off a hose (i.e. not using care) and snapped the nipple off.  I then proceeded to argue the fact and was aggressive about it.  They ended up paying for it, after attempting to add another couple hundo to my bill. 

I am glad to hear that your car is almost done Kev, keep a watchful eye on it afterwards ;)

Offline ZETA

• スバルダイスキ
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »
This thread makes me sad...not that I worked there, but that anybody had to go through this

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 06:26:24 AM »
Car is done...sort of.  Got a call saying that the car was done yesterday, April 10th.  WOOHOO!!!!!
But then I got another call back saying that it was making a strange whining noise. I told them I had upgraded to Group N trans mount and different bushings and that could be the excess noise they were hearing.  They didn't think that's what it was so I went down to the dealership to drive the car.  I didn't make it 100 ft and knew what they were talking about.
The car felt and drove fine but that noise was of great concern so they're going to check things over today.
Almost there!
I will say it was a strange feeling going from the Cadillac STS I've been driving for the last month to driving my car. WOW!!!  I went from a Lazy Boy seat to a booster seat in terms of a snug fit.  From floating boat to solid suspension (can't imagine what a real sports car feels like ;) )

Offline corx

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
seems like things down there are much differnt. i hate dealerships in general. i really didn't want to work at one. when i first started the guys treated me pretty good. then they were all gone and a whole new staff was there. mike isn't even in service anymore. i get to go down there friday for warrenty work. I wonder if i had a major problem like a trans issue if i could fix it myself and tell soa I used to be a certified tech. i really don't know. i just don't like other people working on my cars. i don't care if it takes me three times as long with a floor jack, jack stands, and hand tools. that is how I grew up. right now the beetle is getting the old elbo grease.
-chris van middelkoop-
10 nbp gh6 Impreza
67 Dark Blue Street Beetle
"your impreza is evolving!...
congratulations, your impreza just evolved into an old worn out sti!"

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
Car is done...sort of.  Got a call saying that the car was done yesterday, April 10th.  WOOHOO!!!!!
But then I got another call back saying that it was making a strange whining noise. I told them I had upgraded to Group N trans mount and different bushings and that could be the excess noise they were hearing.  They didn't think that's what it was so I went down to the dealership to drive the car.  I didn't make it 100 ft and knew what they were talking about.
The car felt and drove fine but that noise was of great concern so they're going to check things over today.
Almost there!
I will say it was a strange feeling going from the Cadillac STS I've been driving for the last month to driving my car. WOW!!!  I went from a Lazy Boy seat to a booster seat in terms of a snug fit.  From floating boat to solid suspension (can't imagine what a real sports car feels like ;) )

You're so close.  Sucky deal.   :-\  Well keep us posted.  Did they swap out that steering rack also? 

So have you lost faith in Subaru as a manufacturer because of this?  What dealership would you recommend in the future for service?

-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project

Offline impostor

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
Things really changed there when Chris left several years ago.  Mike is a great guy but was never given full manager authority, at least when I was there.
'10 FXT, 95 Impreza turbo, 93 Legacy turbo wagon, 80 BRAT, 77 DL coupe FWD

Offline watercrawl

• Marr Knives
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 07:31:13 AM »
Something has been eating at me as I've kept up with Kevin's story.

What are they (Subaru) saying the abuse was?  Is it because you've modified the car slightly?  I almost hope so, because otherwise that's just a bunch of bullsh!t.

The WRX is marketed as a sports car.  They brag about it's suspension, the engine, the seats.....and they expect it driven like a Buick by a 60 year old woman?!?! 

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 07:45:10 AM »
Got my car back yesterday!!!  It's so much more enjoyable to drive than the Cadillac (I'm not in my 60s yet ;)  )

Reasons cited as abuse on my car:

• Excess amount of mud on the underside of my car
  • The snap ring broke from the center diff from what they say was excessive force to the transmission (dumping the clutch, being stuck in the mud, being stuck in the snow, improper shifting aka slamming gears). They could tell I was doing all of the above according to their engineer's report after looking at digital images taken by the dealership and sent to Cherry Hill, NJ where SOA is located.
  • According to them (SOA) there is no way a center differential and the supporting parts could be defective.
If there were corn stalks and weeds stuck to the bottom of my car then I could see them saying I abuse my car.  I take dirt roads home from work late at night so I don't have to see  :police: .
The snow and being stuck thing made me laugh.  The representative I talked to said I should have cleared a path in front of my car to get it out. I stated I would have had to cleared about 200 yards of unplowed parking lot (Werner Park one snowy day). The car has never been stuck.
For them to say that every part they make is perfect is a crock of ****.

Anyway, I have my car back and it feels great. The transmission feels buttery smooth.
As for the steering rack goes the remanufactured on that Russ put in isn't working out for me. The OE rack feels waaaaaaay nicer so I talked to a mechanic friend of mine here in Papillion and he is gonna see if he can't get the old one back in my car and not leaking.

Have I lost faith in Subaru as a manufacturer?  Yes, but I still love my car.  I just don't trust the way they handle big stuff. 

There is complaint after complaint on NASIOC about poor handling of warranty issues with the WRX and STi line.  They build a car that is marketed towards a younger demographic as a rally car (race car) and they don't stand by the product when it's broken. Why even offer a warranty? 

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'm sure there are people out there that beat the #####  out of these cars and expect the repairs to be covered under warranty but the people that take care of their cars get it right up the pooper when they aren't the guilty ones killing motors and transmissions.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:51:35 AM by kevinmfb »

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »
^^^^^  All supporting the thoughts of why I prefer to buy cars that are not brand new.  Save the extra $ that you lose driving it off the dealer property and on their shite warranty and put that scratch into your car, or save it for possible work it may need down the road. 
Unfortunately this does not just seem like a Subaru issue.  You hear of people all the time that get denied work that should probably be covered by the warranty that the individual selling the car told them it would cover.
When my wifes Rav4 was having issues with its drivetrain, they tried to say it was everything but the warranty job that Toyota found was common in those years.  The ECM's went bad, then it would make the tranny shift super hard (so hard the car would buck).  If you let it go on too long it ruined the tranny.  We took it to the dealer to look at it.  The first two times they gave us redonkeylous reasons that it was happening that made no sense.  Then they told us that the transfer case was going bad and to drive it until it went out then they would replace it at our cost of course, oh they were doing the whole tranny at the same time and both were at a tune of $4500-5000.
Unfortunately for them my FIL was a regional parts/service manager and knew the service warranty codes for the ECM issue and all about it.  They tried to get out of paying for the fix even though it was already a factory warranty job, in the end, I had to file a complaint with Toyota, and me blowing up on them a few times they finally diagnosed it properly and...it was paid for.  Changing just the ECM fixed the whole issue ($1000 warranty fix).  They were just looking to make lots of extra money off of people that pay Toyotas wages.  Redonkeylous!  Dealers suck.
I agree with you Kevin, dont sell a car that you advertise as "sport tuned" then refuse to fix stuff when it breaks.  For the rest of you with warranty coverage better make sure you wash your undercarriage before taking your ride in for some major work :)
The more I experience and listen to peoples stories of dealing with the local dealerships and Subaru it makes me have a foul taste in my mouth about Subaru.  When it comes to buying a newer car later, I dont know if I would buy a Subie.  I will probably keep my FXT to play with and buy something else.
B4 people say, well this is an isolated incident, or I thought that you had a Subaru tattoo put on representing your undying allegiance, there would also be other factors that will lead me to other manufacturers, but these incidents really do put the icing on the cake.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:52:38 AM by Bogey »

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
Kevin I'm glad to hear you finally got your car back and it seems to be in good working order.

I will say this about warranties and mods, etc.  Subaru wouldn't be the first manufacturer to deny warranties.  Back when I had my EVO there were Mitsubishi dealers that would seek out EVOs at AutoXs and track days and write down their plates and VINs so they could void their warranties nationwide.  It was unbelievable.  A friend of mine has a well sorted EVO VIII in Des Moines that he tracks and his plates say VOID THIS.   :P 

I prefer to buy vehicles new.  That way I know what all has been done to it.  If I void my warranty I void it, but the manufacturer sure as h.e.l.l. better prove that whatever my mods were contributed to the failure of the part needing replaced under warranty.  As far as abuse.  Well I don't abuse my cars, but I do some limited AutoX and track days and if they want to consider that abuse then I'll cross that bridge if/when I get there.  Kind of funny that Subaru used to give out free SCCA memberships and also support things like the Subaru Challenge (AutoX) that I did in KC back in the early 2000's.
-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project