Re: Tuning
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »
WRX Limited on e85 and a loud transmission

jaz Tuning

Offline C.J.

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 12:19:25 PM »
Jorge from P and L in Chicago.  One of the best tuners in the country.
Bring your George tuned car next to my Evo (Tank tuned) and lets see who's the best tuner and to show you that Tank IS in fact one of the best tuners in the country..... Some people are all about the little stickers on the side of your window to brag about the $150 an hour they charge you to tune your car, not to mention you have to drive for 8hrs to get there. Tank is super cool, respects your car, does an outstanding job and he's right here in town if you need him. N'ough said.... Tekno likes boys

What cars has Tank tuned on big set ups?  I am not trying to start any beef, it is an honest question.  A bunch of "stage 2" tunes is great but I want to see 500whp on stock shortblocks that are lasting or 700whp and rising on built/big rotated set ups.  What about track results?

Once again I am just curious about his "resume" if you will, not trying to start an ebattle.

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 12:31:42 AM »
Im not trying to start any crap either.

But I do  agree with C.J.,      I would agree that Tank is a good tuner and has a great rep with the majority of the members of NSOC.  If I dont get rid of my STi I will probably get tuned for E85 by him.  But you are absolutely retarded to say he is one of the best tuners in the country.  I love you to death Ayouby, but that is simply re tah did.  P and L  charged 99 an hour when I got my tune done.  I think after everything it was 299 for a dyno tune with Jorge which is more then worth it.  Now they charge a flat fee of like 450 or something.  The converstation alone with Jorge was worth the money,  its just crazy how much that guy knows about tuning and Subarus. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:37:08 AM by TeknoCop »

Offline DanTheManFromJapan

• TicTac
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 07:10:58 AM »

What cars has Tank tuned on big set ups?  I am not trying to start any beef, it is an honest question.  A bunch of "stage 2" tunes is great but I want to see 500whp on stock shortblocks that are lasting or 700whp and rising on built/big rotated set ups.  What about track results?

Once again I am just curious about his "resume" if you will, not trying to start an ebattle.

Wait. 500 wheel horsepower on a stock short block? While that's possible, what is your definition of "lasting"? Because with the stock cast pistons, that kind of power is only going to be made for short time before you're looking at  rebuild.  But what do I know.
"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline C.J.

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »

Wait. 500 wheel horsepower on a stock short block? While that's possible, what is your definition of "lasting"? Because with the stock cast pistons, that kind of power is only going to be made for short time before you're looking at  rebuild.  But what do I know.

That's a good question, what do you know?  Have you tried it?

• TicTac
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »

That's a good question, what do you know?  Have you tried it?

LOL of course I know nothing first hand! Isn't that obvious? I was just asking a simple question and referring to the information that I've read. I never said it could 't be done. I just wanted to know what your definition of "lasting" is.  Way to get defensive :)
"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline C.J.

• Elite Member
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
It's not defensive.  It's I'm tired of the blind leading the blind mentality of the Subaru community.  Just because someone read it on a forum somewhere or heaven forbid listened to Unabomber on Nasioc doesn't mean it is fact.  500whp has been done on multiple stock short blocks.  The failures come from tuning and or ecu hiccups.  I know of multiple 450-500whp ej257s with 10k+ miles.

Offline arau

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »
Is 10k+ miles is lasting?.. Lol
1998 GW   Legacy GT LTD. -SOLD
2003 WRB Impreza WRX W/STI mods.
1999 RBP  Impreza 2.5 RS-SOLD
2000 SM   Impreza 2.5 RS-JDM EJ20K-SOLD
1997 GW  Impreza OBS
1996 GW   Legacy GT Wagon

Offline scby_snk

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
It's not defensive.  It's I'm tired of the blind leading the blind mentality of the Subaru community.  Just because someone read it on a forum somewhere or heaven forbid listened to Unabomber on Nasioc doesn't mean it is fact.  500whp has been done on multiple stock short blocks.  The failures come from tuning and or ecu hiccups.  I know of multiple 450-500whp ej257s with 10k+ miles.

I couldn't have worded this better myself. And could not agree more. :)
WRX Limited on e85 and a loud transmission

jaz Tuning

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »

When you start stepping up to big power, it can be. (driving style and use dependent).  Especially when considering this on a stock motor. 

It would be nice to see the comments of "the best" backed with some other personal professional-level experience (not your roommate).  IMHO, anyone that is modifying a car above OTS, really should have an understanding of what's going on.  You don't need to know how to tune, but at least get an understanding.  Over the years, as well as more recently, I've pulled maps off of cars that have left me shaking my head.

• TicTac
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 03:22:32 PM »

Thank you for answering my question. Again, I never said it couldn't be done. I know it can be. I just said the truth. WHEN a high horsepower STOCK BLOCK goes BOOM. It's attributed to the CAST pistons being the weak link.  Sure, you can blame the tune or the ECU but really? You went 10K+ miles on a 500 hp stock block? And you're going to blame it on the tune? Meh, I digress

I would never list NASIOC as a reliable source. My source is actually an article in Import Tuner I read.

When you start stepping up to big power, it can be. (driving style and use dependent).  Especially when considering this on a stock motor. 

It would be nice to see the comments of "the best" backed with some other personal professional-level experience (not your roommate).  IMHO, anyone that is modifying a car above OTS, really should have an understanding of what's going on.  You don't need to know how to tune, but at least get an understanding.  Over the years, as well as more recently, I've pulled maps off of cars that have left me shaking my head.

LOL maybe you should stop beating around the bush and just call Tank out.  For the record, his room mate hasn't posted on this thread. But your resident nut swinger has!

Seriously though, we should have some kind of tuner showdown battle royale. Obviously with a non biased 3rd party to judge the tunes
1 car
2 tuners
3 hours each.

Best datalog wins! (I have no idea what i just said)
"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »

LOL maybe you should stop beating around the bush and just call Tank out.  For the record, his room mate hasn't posted on this thread. But your resident nut swinger has!

Seriously though, we should have some kind of tuner showdown battle royale. Obviously with a non biased 3rd party to judge the tunes
1 car
2 tuners
3 hours each.

Best datalog wins! (I have no idea what i just said)
I don't think anyone said he is the "only option" but he is surely the best option.  Tank does a great job out of the gate and has always offered to help me with corrections if I changed something or if I wanted to try something out. 

Dude is seriously awesome.

Out of curiousity, what other tuners have you had experience with?

My moronic roommate tried, but he is a dolt. 

The guy that had the car previously tried to tune it himself. 

There was also an internet tune on the car.  It was way over-boosted and the AFI was way off as well as the idle and some other stuff I don't understand.

This is what my roommate comment was directed at.

Not sure what is up with the name calling though. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:35:00 PM by jaz »

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »
I know of multiple 450-500whp ej257s with 10k+ miles.

Years back Top Speed had one car on their site that IIRC held the record for highest AWHP on stock block and stock internals with around at again IIRC 537?  They also had a hand full of high 400's and low 500awhp stock block cars too.  I checked the site and itís been updated and canít find any of that info anymore though. 

Either way anyone who wants to get their car tuned should research multiple options since there are  a bunch out there.  One of the big things I looked for when deciding on a tuner was how many negative reviews they had mainly to see if they have blown up cars in the past or how many. 

For the Subaru I ended up going to GRD in Chicago twice and had Tuan tune it. 

Offline its allgood

• Novice
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
For a second I thought I was on starcityracing.com       :popcorn

good thread though!
02 WRX

Offline C.J.

• Elite Member
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »

Thank you for answering my question. Again, I never said it couldn't be done. I know it can be. I just said the truth. WHEN a high horsepower STOCK BLOCK goes BOOM. It's attributed to the CAST pistons being the weak link.  Sure, you can blame the tune or the ECU but really? You went 10K+ miles on a 500 hp stock block? And you're going to blame it on the tune? Meh, I digress

I would never list NASIOC as a reliable source. My source is actually an article in Import Tuner I read.

While the cast pistons are the weakest link in the ej257 engine, handling 500whp is a possibility and all depends on the tune, if the tuner doesn't know what they are doing there is no room for error in this situation.  Yes it is a bit of a gamble but a good tuner will analyze what the ECU is telling him and make appropriate changes.  Like it was said above, obviously if a tuner is blowing up subaru's on basic set ups you aren't going to have him tune something they are not capable of.  You want big power...you go to a tuner who is used to tuning for it safely.

• TicTac
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »
While the cast pistons are the weakest link in the ej257 engine, handling 500whp is a possibility and all depends on the tune, if the tuner doesn't know what they are doing there is no room for error in this situation.  Yes it is a bit of a gamble but a good tuner will analyze what the ECU is telling him and make appropriate changes.  Like it was said above, obviously if a tuner is blowing up subaru's on basic set ups you aren't going to have him tune something they are not capable of.  You want big power...you go to a tuner who is used to tuning for it safely.

I agree with you 100%. About 500 HP is where the threshold is. But I feel like at that very threshold, your car will have to be tuned EVERY day (exaggeration) it is driven it to  for all of the variables that make the tune stay under that threshold. That being said I still believe that over time the piston will be the cause of failure. Regardless, if you're making 500 whp, it's because you have a built block to drop in.

"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline C.J.

• Elite Member
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »
If my car lasts 10k miles I would be insanely happy.

• TicTac
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
Isn't that like 4 years for you?  :P
"They call me Tic Tac"
Slooowwwwwrx.

Offline C.J.

• Elite Member
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »

Exactly why I consider 10k miles a long time.  ;)

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »

Exactly why I consider 10k miles a long time.  ;)

LOL. Thats 2 for me.   ;D

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 11:47:49 PM »
WOW, did the swinging dicks come out on this thread!!!!  Its common sense....1.  if you mod the shite out of a car and have a **** tune it WILL fail.  2.  When anyone lays down the scratch for such a highly modded car, they obviously would want the best person with the best resume for tuning to lay their hands on it.  3.  If you dont have the $$$ for an established rep tuner, than make sure you have the $$$ to fix shite if it breaks (this is why most tuners make you sign a waiver).  4.  If you are a shitty driver that doesnt know how to drive your car, dont mod the poo out of it.  5.  Better make sure you have some good engine management and know what all the numbers mean if you are going big.  6.  Is 500whp possible?  Yes, in most tuner cars.  Will it last?  Who knows, how will it be driven?  Race cars are meant to be abused and sponsors pay for new parts when old get wore out, and anyone that is tuning their car for that high of whp is not driving like a gma to the store.  If they are, maybe they should buy a slower car and not waste their money.  7.  We can go all day long with these discussions...lord knows you can find thread after thread of people beating each other over the head on Nasioc with this same discussion for years and years. 

Now, how many cars has Tank tuned?  I dont know, ask him.  If you want to know his resume', ask him.  Add the question of how many motors were ghosted on his tunes while you are at it.  Guessing by his local attest he definitely does stage 2 to whatever you want to call the next step (or two).  As far as going big, that is up to the car owner of who they would use.  The original question was who does tuning and is the best.  People that want to rep Tank can.  I dont see too many people offering up any other local tuners, and I dont see ANYBODY offering to tune.  I have heard of some peoples tuning capabilities locally that seem to be really great at it (may be peeps that are part of this thread discussion ;]) but I have no experience with their tunes and they dont seem to advertise them.  So, that leads us to rep people that we have had experience with.

With that said, I would trust Tank to tune my car with stage 2, and also with a bigger turbo, injectors, and supporting mods. That would be my choice.  Some would take it to Cobb in Plano, or P&L and that is fine too.  But, I like classic hotrods, so if I were to build a monster, it would probably be a gutted/tubbed Vega with a monster under the hood.  ;) 

Lets try to be grown ups and clean this thread up.  If you have a tuner to offer, offer it up.  If we are going to dissect every tuner-lets start a new thread.  I got on to see what other tuners were offered up and I find some back and forth.  My .02 since everyone else is throwing it in.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:53:30 PM by Bogey »

Offline tank

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »
wow.. okay..

Ayoub, I appreciate your enthusiasm.. but I am far from the best.

I've never claimed to be the best, nor will I ever. I do the best job that I can personally do. People seem to like what I do for them. Yeah of course other tuners can get more power out of your set up, and if that is what you want then go for it.

As far as trying to get the most power out of a stock block.. I will never do that with someone else' car.

Yeah 99% of my tunes are staged, and I'm fine with that.

I'm not here to compete with anyone. Everyone has personal preferences. If you want me to tune you, cool. If not, it's your car, you decision. I get it.

Offline C.J.

• Elite Member
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »
 :subaru:

Offline jton

• Elite Member
  • 1993 Impreza Wagon - SOLD
    • Build
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
I'm freakin out man!!!!

I know who I'm going with for a tune.

-Jimmy
R35 GTR

Offline C.J.

• Elite Member
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »
This guy.   :o

Disclaimer:  I don't always tune subaru's...but when I do, they sprout wings and fly.