Author Topic: Couple Questions  (Read 1285 times)

Offline fishrguy29

Couple Questions
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
my oil seems to get low by the time my next oil change is do. it seems like a really really super duper slow leak. The only place i can see where oil might be getting out and turning greases is the filter itself. I use a Mobil1 filter thats exactly like the Subaru OEM filter. so what filter does everyone else use or recommend?

also i'm about to hit 100k so i figured i should change the plugs as well and i'm already getting a timing belt from tank. but anyways back to the plugs. would one step colder do anything performance or fuel efficiency wise? i am not sure what the one step colder really is used for. i only have a SPT intake, 3" cutback and a tank tune if that matters. Thanks guys!

Brady
If I am ever wrong let me know please. I rather learn than keep looking stupid.

2002- Impreza WRX AWD Station Wagon

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
Re: Couple Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
you might be burning oil rather than leaking it.

Offline whitewgn02

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »

Yep.  I think that is very typical of a WRX.  Mine did it from the day I picked it up at the dealership.  What kind of oil are you using?  I found that my car went through Mobil 1 very quickly.  I kind of switched around until I found one that worked...Castrol fully synthetic in my case.  I check my oil at least every 1000 miles and top it off if needed.

I'm not really sure about the plugs but I was told colder plugs aren't really needed unless you are putting down crazy power.  Hopefully someone else can chime in with more information.   

Offline arau

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »
I'm using subaru blue filters. I like them, I know a few people on here that don't. But I've had zero issues and they do there job very good.

I'm using rotella 5w40. I had been using vav. Full syn. But I thought it was a little thin. I also check my oil bout every 3 days. Lol.  And change it about 2k-2500k miles.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:04:13 PM by arau »
1998 GW   Legacy GT LTD. -SOLD
2003 WRB Impreza WRX W/STI mods.
1999 RBP  Impreza 2.5 RS-SOLD
2000 SM   Impreza 2.5 RS-JDM EJ20K-SOLD
1997 GW  Impreza OBS
1996 GW   Legacy GT Wagon

Offline fishrguy29

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
i use castrol edge full synthetic. the filter just was a mobil one but i've used the OEM and i think i used a fram one time too. Would regular be any less likely to burn than synthetic?

Brady

Offline julozas

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
i had E3 spark plugs put in my car, worst idea ever. apparently they dont work well with subaru's and completely s**t themselves after like 5000 miles. i would recommend just the stock replacement plugs, we put those in my car and now its working just fine.
Lincoln Meet

05 sti, lots o' mods.!

Offline poohbear

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »
its a great idea to check your oil every time you fill up... its completely normal to burn 1 qt about every 3k... Think about looking into an AOS... I am a huge fan of the crawford aos... However if you are not doing heavy track or you are going to do very light auto-x (and i stress light) you would be fine with say an s2k or grimspeed aos...
THe majority if not all of your blow by will be caught by the system... You will reduce chance for knocking and even stop burning oil as much...
As for your spark plugs, as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't recommend a step colder until you produce at least 100 hp over what you run out of the box... I have run step colder on cars with as little as only a stage one. The timing for MBT had to be adjusted but the power remained the same. The cars were still knock free.
What I mean to say is that it will be all in your tune. If you plan on track use or auto-x then step colder could be beneficial...
HOWEVER; stock replacements are usually the best...

Offline fishrguy29

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »
thanks guys. i got one more question. to go a timing belt on a 02 WRX will i need any special tools? just a puller right to get the crank pulley off?

Brady

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:23:27 PM »
Crank pulley is a breeze..  cam pulleys are a pain..

IMHO  timing kit = shop.  Russ or Ron's
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.