Author Topic: Rolling fenders questions  (Read 2643 times)

Offline asantiST185

• Novice
Rolling fenders questions
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »
So I have a set of wheels off my celica that fit my 03 wrx wagon.  Problem is when I test fitted the wheels the tires are going to for sure rub in the rear and possibly the front.

Now im wondering if rolling the fenders is a good idea. I could possibly go down from a 225 to a 215 size tire but dont really want to try and sell the tires and get new ones.  I want to know what the cons are with rolling the fenders.  Also does anyone in town do fender rolling?

Offline its allgood

• Novice
Re: Rolling fenders questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »
So I have a set of wheels off my celica that fit my 03 wrx wagon.  Problem is when I test fitted the wheels the tires are going to for sure rub in the rear and possibly the front.

Now im wondering if rolling the fenders is a good idea. I could possibly go down from a 225 to a 215 size tire but dont really want to try and sell the tires and get new ones.  I want to know what the cons are with rolling the fenders.  Also does anyone in town do fender rolling?

put the wheels back on your toy. i would not roll the fenders on a WRX. leave the stock wheels on it or sell the other wheels and buy some for your WRX. 
02 WRX

Offline asantiST185

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »
I see your point.  Maybe ill test fit a 215 size tire and if that doesnt fit ill try to find a new set of wheels

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
whats wrong with rolling fenders? please back your argument against it.

Offline its allgood

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »
w

i see quite a few people have done it, i just dont think it should be done unless your have a lip roller that works good. and how many people have a good roller? 
my argument is : i dont like to buy a modded car, and the last thing that would cause me to pass on a wrx for sale is a rolled fender. But, i would not buy a modded wrx. I want a virgin WRX. I guess that is my point. Then again im 45.
FWIW.
02 WRX

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »
which I counter with:

Those are all opinion based things, there is nothing mechanical bad or things that could cause damage or problems. Lack of the ability to execute doesn't mean not to.

If you are going to do this, do it right, don't cheap out.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
What's a virgin?   :P

There are plenty of cars with rolled fenders and no cracks in the paint.  Just gotta be VERY careful, have somebody with the know-how do it and I guess don't get crazy stupid with offsets to the point where you turning radius takes the entire parking lot.

If it came down to it I'd prefer not to roll my own fenders but I'm not in the market for anything "flush".  Just functional.

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
don't get crazy stupid with offsets to the point where you turning radius takes the entire parking lot.

Have a turn radius better then a battle ship?

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 03:08:24 PM »
That'd be nice  ;)

Offline Craigs92X

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »
w

i see quite a few people have done it, i just dont think it should be done unless your have a lip roller that works good. and how many people have a good roller? 
my argument is : i dont like to buy a modded car, and the last thing that would cause me to pass on a wrx for sale is a rolled fender. But, i would not buy a modded wrx. I want a virgin WRX. I guess that is my point. Then again im 45.
FWIW.

The proper roller and lots of heat. I had no issues doing mine.
2012 Outback Limited is AWDSOME.......
2005 Stage 2 Saabaru 9-2X  SOLD

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »
Both of my rides have had roller fenders in the rear..
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
Of the people on Nabisco that I read had problems, usually it seemed to have to do with not doing them with the proper tools, or also by them not having someone that does it do the job.  If I were to roll my fenders, I would want someone that has done it do it for me.  As ^^^^ testimony shows, there are lots of peeps that have had theirs rolled...go for it and look Hella flush!!! 

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 05:02:46 PM »
Heat and taking your time are key...

I have probably rolled a doz cars before..

I think Russ has a roller..
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline csmiller18

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »
If you do it, Lmk, I wanna be there. I was reading up on it and it seemed over my head. I'd love to learn how to do it properly/see it done in person.
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
I need to do my Legacy to allow the Rally tires to clear, keep us posted if you want to make this in to a mini-meet.

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 05:16:00 AM »
from the fender rolling meet that we had 2 or 3 years ago, we pretty much came up with the conclusion that the newer the car, the more heat you need.

there's nothing wrong with rolling your fenders. if you do it right, no one would ever even know until they felt the fender well, unless of course you are trying to fit some low offset beefy tire setup.
-Shawn