Author Topic: My not-so-great experience with Trail Performance Coatings  (Read 5979 times)

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
My not-so-great experience with Trail Performance Coatings
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »
I generally leave this type of stuff up to other people to take care of, but I think I have just had the worst customer service I have ever had, especially when it comes to coatings.

As some of you already know, I had a set of CCW Classics powder coated Gold.  I recently damaged the coating on one of the wheel centers and wanted to strip the coating down without sand blasting again. 

To preface the story as Josh from Trail so arrogantly wanted me to mention, I did not have Trail originally coat the wheel centers, however, that is my right as a customer in this country and a business should RESPECT it.  Do not get pissy because I had someone else do some work for me.  The individual did a great job and the price was, well...  very good.  Over the last couple years, I have used Trail quite a few times on powder coatings and ceramic coating.  I've spoken to Jeremy many times about the projects and have let him know that I have a bit more coatings needing done.  In addition, I previously have praised them and have sent customers their way in the past.

Instead of stripping the wheel myself, I first called Trail Performance and asked them if they could chemically strip the part for me.  Shortly after the call, I dropped the part off (17 APR) and explained that I had it coated by someone else, damaged it, and want it stripped.  Jeremy asked why I did not have them coat it, so I told him that I had a buddy who could do it and had a color that I knew was what I wanted.  We briefly looked at having them recoat after stripping, but Jeremy said that unless we do all four wheels, even with the same color, he guaranteed it would not look the same due to difference in the person doing the application, tooling, etc.  (This is something Josh pointed out to me today and mentioned that is what he trains his employees to say).

At that point, they ACCEPTED the job and said they could do it and would try to have it done by Friday (20 APR) as I requested.  I have had my share of parts coated over the years with different shops across the country, so I knew Friday was not a guarantee.  I did, however, call today (23 APR) to check on the status of the wheel.  Jeremy answered the phone and after telling him who I was, he put me on hold to talk to Josh.  After 5 minutes I hung up, but shortly after had a message from Trail saying to call back and talk to either Josh or Jeremy.

I called and talk to Josh...  He told me that he would not strip the wheel because they are not coating it.  I paused for a second in disbelief...  I can somewhat understand not wanting to do something if I am going to another person for some work, however, an agreement was made, the wheel was accepted, my information was taken down, and I am paying for a specific job.  If this was an issue to begin with, I should not have had to call nearly a week later to find out they are not going to touch it.  Josh reacted as if he was doing this job for free for me.  This is not the case; I went to a business to pay them for a process they said they would do.  Josh kept asking me why I did not want him to coat it.  He could not seem to grasp that I did not give a crap about the business squabbles/drama.  I just want my $3,000 set of wheels to match and was not going to pay to have all four wheels stripped and recoated to satisfy a shops pissy-ness.  Customers want a shop that is willing to work with them to get their business.

After having words back and forth leaving from picking up the part, Josh decided he would rather not fulfill an order his shop agreed to do (<--- That part is clear-cut) and have one less, semi-regular customer.  I could tell Jeremy did not want to be there at that point, which is too bad as I liked talking to him when I came in. 

To be perfectly honest, the biggest player in Trail getting and holding my business in the first place was location; it was a shorter drive.  Another week on this project has been a complete waste.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:34:03 AM by jaz »

Offline milesej05

• Currently: Subieless :(
Re: My not-so-great experience with Trail Performance Coatings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:14:29 AM »
Sorry to hear this Jaz, this may hinder my decision on where to get my wheels powdercoated come late summer.  Thanks for the heads up.

On a side note, im not sure if they get on the site much but I sent them a PM about a month and a half ago asking the price of getting 4 wheels powdercoated and have yet to receive a reply.

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
Sorry to hear this Jaz, this may hinder my decision on where to get my wheels powdercoated come late summer.  Thanks for the heads up.

On a side note, im not sure if they get on the site much but I sent them a PM about a month and a half ago asking the price of getting 4 wheels powdercoated and have yet to receive a reply.

It shouldnt.  They do awesome work.  I honestly didnt think this story was that bad.  I wouldnt consider this to be a "worst customer service ever".  Sounds just like a simple misunderstanding.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
What is there to misunderstand?  I was straight forward (which shouldn't matter anyway), they accepted the job and held the part for a week, and they later told me they wouldn't do it AFTER I called to check on the status. Instead of working harder to keep a customer, they (Josh) acted childish. He's mad because I had someone else coat something for me...  I am loyal to no company, brand, etc, nor have I made any arrangement or contract with anyone.  I've got another shop to do it for me, they don't care, they're getting paid for a job. They basically put me in the middle of a shop pissing match.  I suppose it's okay... I have money and will gladly give it to the competitor that will do the work for me.

Their work is alright; nothing I got was spectacular. The intake and brake calipers on my SHO were done at home in a regular oven and turned out better than most of the PC I had done there (no bubbles or lines on sharp edges). 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:50:13 PM by jaz »

Offline C.J.

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
Won't see me spend any money with them.

Offline jton

• Elite Member
  • 1993 Impreza Wagon - SOLD
    • Build
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:09:10 PM »
Damn, that sucks.
-Jimmy
R35 GTR

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
I'd be interested in hearing Trail's side of this story.  Jeremy is a close friend of mine.  I know he doesn't check this forum very often, but I can tell you I've never had a problem with Jeremy/Josh/Trail...ever.  They've always done excellent work at reasonable rates.  The front springs on my '69 Camaro turned out amazing as well as numerous other parts.

I know this about shops.  Most of them do not want to do work when they know another shop has been working on that same part.  That's like me taking my engine to Rojam to build the short block.  Rojam installs the crank and pistons and then I pull my engine from the shop and have Daly's finish it for whatever reason.  Then someday your engine starts knocking and you blame Daly's.  (I used both shops names for example ONLY and they both do good work)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:45:50 AM by Bounty Hunter »
-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
When the wheel is getting stripped down to bare metal it shouldn't matter who did the work prior.

I understand the concern with wanting to have a matching set of wheels but if the customer gives the "green light" to do the job knowing the color may not match exactly then I say go ahead and do the job. And don't get upset when you get the wheel home and see it doesn't match (which I know jaz wouldn't do). I think color matching is so close these days you'd have to really be trying to nit-pick which wheel was done where.

I've never seen their work up close so I'm going to keep an open mind.  There isn't anything of mine that needs coated except maybe my bald spot  :P  SUN SCREEN, YOU SICK BASTARDS!!!

Offline xI Light Ix

• Elite Member
  • Dustin
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »
Seems pretty simple to me. You asked them to do a job and they said yes. Then after a week they didn't want to do it. That isn't cool at all. Complete waste of your time.

I'm sure they do a great job coating parts, but agreeing to do a job then bailing after a week is pretty crappy no matter how you look at it :-\

Cleared lights, DLR delete, K&N Typhoon, 20% tint, Greddy Evo 2 Cb,
Invidia V2 Dp, Perring Up, , Stage 2 WRXNFX Tune

Offline jthod

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
Can't say my experience with SourceOne (back then it was Bison coating) was much better

'04 PSM WRX, Helix DP, STi UP, Cobb Catback, RCE yellow springs, Tokico Spec-D's.  JAZ tuned.

Offline Derrek

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »
I had a pretty similar... and I would say even slightly worse experience with Trial Perf.

I went in to have a couple of water pipes and the intake manifold for my Z (car at the time) ceramic coated.  I told him up from that I would be moving to Florida in 10 days, and Jeremy said, even though it may be a push, he could have it done.  I picked up the water pipes a couple days later and agreed to just pay for all of it at once when I picked up the intake.  I end up calling 2 days before I leave to FL and it's not done.  I remind them that I leave in two days and I needs to be done.  I call back the day that I'm leaving and it's still not done!  I also got the whole "oh, why are you expecting so much from us, we're doing you a favor" vibe.  No, I was paying good money to have this done.  I say maybe I'll have to pay for shipping or something and we'll figure it out.

I move to FL and call back about a week-### later.  It's still not done.

I call back A MONTH after I moved to FL.  It's STILL not done.  At this point I just left them with the part and didn't want to deal with them.  Ended up selling the Z a couple months later.  Even thought I got the $40 water pipe job done for free... they still have the intake I paid $80 for... 

Meanwhile, during all of this, they NEVER (not even once) bothered to give me a call and give me any sort of status update.  I was always the one having to call and bother them.  Even now, practically May of 2012 (I gave them the job early August 2011), I have not received a single call from them.

Needless to say, I don't plan on going back.  Sure, they may do good quality work, but their customer service is awful.

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 12:56:02 AM »
Won't see me spend any money with them.
-Shawn

Offline Craigs92X

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:53 PM »
Sorry to hear. All of the parts/wheels I have had coated by them, no issues whatsoever.
2012 Outback Limited is AWDSOME.......
2005 Stage 2 Saabaru 9-2X  SOLD

Offline Z-L1 Dave

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
My experience with Trails Performance Coatings was not good either.  I gave them a small job to do with a blank check ( I told them to do the job and just tell me the price when finished). They said they would have it done in about 2 weeks and I told them " No Problem " .   After a little over 2 months I checked on their progress and discovered the job still not finished and one of my parts was done incorrectly with the wrong color in the wrong location, ( it was a 2 tone color scheme ).  I very politely pointed out the mistake so that it could be corrected and Mr. Trails refused to make the correction and told me to load-up my parts and get out of his shop. After his refusal to take payment I still paid him for the work that WAS completed and vowed to never return.  With the exception of one small part the only portion of the job that was completed was the sandblasting after a little over 2 months of time given.   I never expect any special treatment from anyone but I do expect courteous treatment not arrogance & disrespect