Poll

Are blow off valves good or bad for subaru's?

Good
0 (0%)
Bad
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Blow Off Valve? Good Or Bad Idea  (Read 2536 times)

Offline RWB1990

• Novice
Blow Off Valve? Good Or Bad Idea
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »
I have been told a lot of different things about blow off valves on subarus and how they are bad. I know a bunch of people that have them and don't have problems with there cars. Any suggestions?
Ryan B.
I will never own another car besides a subaru :)

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
Re: Blow Off Valve? Good Or Bad Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »
If all you care about is the sound get one.  HKS sounds cool.  For performance stick with the stocker.  Many out there will add hesitation in your throttle response.  Iíve used APS, Worx, and TurboXS.  The RFL was by far the worst and did add hesitation in throttle response.  Plus sounded like crap.  The APS was the best of the 3.  In the end I went back to stock. 

Offline RWB1990

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 06:13:01 PM »
Where did you go to find an APS
Ryan B.
I will never own another car besides a subaru :)

Offline Trick

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »
I put a turboxs one on.  Didn't notice much difference other than sound and the exhaust pops under part throttle shifting sometimes.

Offline Chris C

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »
Where did you go to find an APS

I bought it used off nabisco.  That's one part that you can save money on over buying new and they are always available. 

Offline adevney

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:45:20 AM »
Sounds like you want one for the sound, which is fine.  But just remember that you do run the risk of your car idleing poorly and hestitating.  You're basically taking metered air and dumping it instead of reintroducing it into the system, causing a rich condition at times.  Most of these BOV's are made to hold higher boost pressures, as well as make a cool sound as you've seen.  With some of them you can get a recirculation kit so that you don't have any odd symptoms.  Unless of course your new BOV leaks, which some do.  The choice is yours.  I will admit I always enjoyed the sound.  There are also 50/50 valves so look into those as well.

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
There is more to it than "BOV's make your car run like ****". If you have the correct spring in it, there should be absolutely no problem with it. If the spring is too soft, it will not close at idle and cause the car to surge. I have a Forge VTA on my car and it idles probably better than stock with my 850cc injectors on E85 (Phatbotti Tuning ftw).

If you want one, buy one. Just make sure you have the correct spring for it.
-Shawn