Author Topic: Shifter Bushing Install  (Read 1718 times)

Offline watercrawl

• Marr Knives
Shifter Bushing Install
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:07:07 PM »
Kind of leery of asking, but:

Anyone out there mind helping me put in front and possibly rear shifter bushings on a 2011 WRX sedan? 

I'm pretty sure I could do it, but don't have the ramps/lift and would like someone who knows what they're doing make sure I don't eff something up.

Wouldn't mind paying either, but I would like to do it myself with a little guidance/help.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
Re: Shifter Bushing Install
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
It has been a long time since we've done an install meet. Where's Jeff when we need him?
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline csmiller18

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:16:36 PM »
if you wanna plan something, im good for an install meet. I have been wanting to install some shifter bushings but haven't gotten around to it.
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:35:11 AM »
Those dont take long.  Maybe 30 min? Thats pushing it.

Offline watercrawl

• Marr Knives
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
Ehhh, other than the obvious...what be an install meet?  The obvious being that we meet and install stuff....but is there a particular place, house, shop....who brings what....etc....I'd be happy to arrange one, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
It's really pretty simple. Either post up the time you want to host one or work with another member to set something up. You can request certain tools to be brought. Jeff (WRXNFX) has hosted several of these to install springs, fuel pumps, hella horns, etc. He hasn't been too active on here lately, though.

I set sup a mini meet in February 2011 for my car. I had 10 or 15 guys show up. I provided pop and bought a ton of Little Caesar's pizzas for lunch. We installed a new turbo, inlet, TGV deletes, and injectors. I was working for over 12 hours that day and guys came and went as they had the time to help. At the time, I wouldn't have been able to do it without them (now I can swap my turbo in a couple hours but that is another story). I greatly appreciated the help, and we all had a good time.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline csmiller18

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:49:28 AM »
We can do it at my house, I have a 4 lane car driveway. give us plenty of room. I have two jacks, 4 stands, plenty of hand tools... plus others could bring whatever tools they want. I dont use ramps because i havnt found/built ones that work with my front lip.

If interested pm me or post here... i'd say 3-4 cars and it would make a good 3 hour project?
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:06:30 AM »
I can help anyone out if they need assistance.  It's not too difficult.

Offline b-dup

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »
i may soon be getting a short throw and be needing help with the same install
when you are asked why, reply with why not?

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
i may soon be getting a short throw and be needing help with the same install

Did you get your shifter installed?  Should only take about 30 to 45 min.

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »
I did the Kartboy front/rear shifter bushings and short shifter and it was a PITA!!! The removal took me 30 min max. Since the rear bushing holes to screw in the bolts is at a wierd angle, i ended up cross threading BOTH holes. After 1 hour trying to make them go in smoothly, I said F it and just bolted them in. Took some muscle but i got both in. Next was the front bushing. It wouldnt come off!! I sprayed it with WD40 to make it slide easier but it didnt work. I ended up getting my gerber pliers (almost breaking them) and yanking it out while I hit my elbow (got a nice bruise out of it). Reinstall of course was easy again. In total took me 5 hours (2 hours if i hadnt had any problems) and some bruised knuckles since there is so little space to work from.   :-[    If you do do it theres no need to lower the subframe (you can and it can provide more space) as posted in some DIYs. I found that removing the heat shield that runs on top of the exhaust pipe helped alot. But in the end it was worth the bushings and shortshifter. These mods should be done first IMO, the feel now it awesome!

Also shortshifter on WRX should be cake since you dont need to do the reverse lock out pin like the STIs. Its a simple remove and replace.
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline b-dup

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 04:02:48 PM »
i just installed hella horns and short throw is my next move, hopefully ill do it in the next month.
when you are asked why, reply with why not?