Author Topic: new sti needs some love, recommended detailer?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline x.Ln

new sti needs some love, recommended detailer?
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »
my new 2006 WRB STI needs some detail love. It was stock with only 32k miles on it and mechanically it's amazing, but it looks like the previous owner neglected the paint. it's got some scratches, minor dings from parking lots, and a whole lot of swirls and what just look 6 year road chips in the paint. Some scratches are deep to the primer it looks like, some aren't.

Car definitely needs some clay baring, polish, sealant, and wax. The gold bbs have some caked on gunk too.

Does anyone know a detailing shop I can trust to restore Oliver to his 2006 glory???

I've never had any car I've owned detailed so I'm a little nervous about it. I'm anal when it comes to keeping the paint nice, but I just need a good starting ground for myself because I'm also impatient when it comes to big projects like this and just feel it's best if someone else does it the right way, the first time for me.

2013 SWP Subaru BRZ - shift knob
2006 WRB Subaru WRX STI - stage 2 pro tune

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
Re: new sti needs some love, recommended detailer?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:04:22 AM »
Jeremy here on NSOC.  PM me for contact info.  He just did my WRX yesterday.  I'm not sure if this link will work from my iPhone.

http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=7324131284
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:07:22 AM by Bounty Hunter »
-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project

Offline x.Ln

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »
does he do the whole deal? I'll try to get pictures posted soon of the paint faults, they became much more obvious after I washed yesterday

Offline x.Ln

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »
it won't let me post a picture on here, so here is a link to my iwsti post with the pictures of the paint

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/detailing-car-care/103908-ask-detailers-domain-122.html

Offline mistahcat

• '11 sti, dom 3 w/ support
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
I actually got excited when you asked this because I know a place that does really excellent work and at a very competitive price.

Omaha Auto Detail
I go there for $40 wash/wax, they even claybarred out some overspray (oops! stupid STi logo on intercooler...) for a couple bucks. I can only vouch for the wash, wax, and service, but those are all 10/10. I can only imagine they would do as well with everything else given the extreme attention to detail this guy has. I believe it's still run by the owner, too.

Google shows his place as off 50th and saddle creek, but he's currently at 86th and maple on the north side of maple.

http://www.omahaautodetail.com/map

here's all his old reviews:
https://plus.google.com/118229052410315106788/about?gl=us&hl=en#118229052410315106788/about

So far as paint, another local owner-manager in Bellevue does great paint and body work. Pepper's Auto Body & More

I met him when I was readying my eclipse for sale. I paid out of pocket rather than wait for insurance and he did what other shop said was $2,000 in repairs for around $1,000 (rear bumper replacement and front bumper repair). I had a short deadline, too, and he made that work to the day. If it wasn't for this guy making my timeline, I wouldn't have sold my eclipse and wouldn't be in my STi. Another plus: military discount. Pepper's Auto Body off capehart and 13th street.
https://plus.google.com/115235431519274352643/about?gl=US&hl=en-US#115235431519274352643/about
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:01:24 PM by mistahcat »
2011 STi in LR, Dom 3.0

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 05:30:47 PM »
If you are in Lincoln, a good friend of mine does amazing work for a very fair price. If you'd like, I can PM you his name/number.
-Shawn

Offline x.Ln

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »
I am in Omaha, but I will keep it in mind if something local doesn't work out.

I'm really really worried about having to respray some spots and not matching the WRB Pearl perfectly. I've wanted this color STI for 5 years

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
I don't think there's pearl in WRB.
-Shawn

Offline x.Ln

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »
Paint code reads WR Blue Pearl, not sure if there is a pearl clear coat or if they just call the paint that.

Offline Curtis

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:36:54 PM »
I detail as well.

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »
Jeremy.  He does good work. 

Offline Rick2.5RS

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Scott or "tortoiseawd" on here.  The (Touch it) section.  I think he is still doing detailing.  He did mine in 2008 or 2009 and it turned out really good.  He let me pitch in and kinda gave me a beginner course and now i have my own polisher, pads, compounds and feel fine doing it on my own.  I have gotten great results the last 2 or 3 times i have done it.  Takes long at first but once you know how to, its not that bad.

Offline omahawrx

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 07:49:46 AM »
Just had Omaha Auto Detail do my car a few weeks back & I have no clue what they used but the top of my steering wheel/ignition cover is all scratched up, both front silver parts of the door handles are scratched.  I emailed them after I saw it all, waited a week, no reply.  I filled out yelp with a full review & within 45 minutes I magically had a reply to my email.  Long story short they're not going to do anything about it, just look into what might have caused it to scratch.  I have no idea what a detail place could possibly use to wipe the inside of a car to cause the scratches they did, but I sure as #### won't be going back there, regardless of the reviews.

Jeremy all the way.

Offline mistahcat

• '11 sti, dom 3 w/ support
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
Just had Omaha Auto Detail do my car a few weeks back & I have no clue what they used but the top of my steering wheel/ignition cover is all scratched up, both front silver parts of the door handles are scratched.  I emailed them after I saw it all, waited a week, no reply.  I filled out yelp with a full review & within 45 minutes I magically had a reply to my email.  Long story short they're not going to do anything about it, just look into what might have caused it to scratch.  I have no idea what a detail place could possibly use to wipe the inside of a car to cause the scratches they did, but I sure as #### won't be going back there, regardless of the reviews.

Jeremy all the way.

!!! Thanks for the warning. I love their cheap car wash/wax but never tried their interior detailing. That sucks they won't fix their handiwork. I will have to be careful about using or recommending them in the future.
2011 STi in LR, Dom 3.0

Offline TortoiseAWD

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »
Scott or "tortoiseawd" on here.  The (Touch it) section.  I think he is still doing detailing.  He did mine in 2008 or 2009 and it turned out really good.

Thanks for the kind words, Rick.  However, I've kind of given up detailing for a while, and generally send people to Jeremy these days.  I'm getting so lazy about my own car, I may be sending *me* to Jeremy soon.  ;)
Driving a Subaru is more awesome than a monkey in a bacon tuxedo riding a cyborg unicorn with a lightsaber for a horn on the tip of a space shuttle closing in on Mars, while engulfed in flames.

Offline Rick2.5RS

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Rick.  However, I've kind of given up detailing for a while, and generally send people to Jeremy these days.  I'm getting so lazy about my own car, I may be sending *me* to Jeremy soon.  ;)

Ah, my bad i did not know man.  I saw your thread section was still up and somewhat active so i assumed you were still going.  Do you still have your silver WRX "sti" ?

Offline TortoiseAWD

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 07:41:56 AM »
Do you still have your silver WRX "sti" ?

Yep.  Bought brand new in May of '01, now with about 115k miles on her.

Nowhere near STi-land though . . . just a VF-34 with supporting mods, and Tank-tuned.  TGV deletes, turbo inlet, and RG porting magic (and a detail, just to stay on topic) are on my to-do list.
Driving a Subaru is more awesome than a monkey in a bacon tuxedo riding a cyborg unicorn with a lightsaber for a horn on the tip of a space shuttle closing in on Mars, while engulfed in flames.