Author Topic: eBay-used-new downpipe  (Read 998 times)

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
eBay-used-new downpipe
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
Well, I'm seriously considering this whole stage 2 thing. The question on my mind is, do the $100 eBay ones really suck? I've heard terror stories on N.A headers from eBay, does it hold true for those too?

If "Stay away from the eBay crap" is the general consensus, is there really a big difference between new and used?

Any words of advice? Any one have one for sale local :P

Offline MasterForce

Re: eBay-used-new downpipe
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
a dp is just a piece of pipe. as long as it doesnt have rust it should be good.
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »
^^ I disagree. not all downpipes are created equal. Especially when fitment comes into play. The quality control just isn't there on the cheap ebay stuff and you may find yourself cursing or paying to fix what you got 'on the cheap' when you would have been better off to just put a good one in up front.

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »
so, there are concerns with the fit of eBay cheapos? ill look for a good used one on nabisco

Offline jton

• Elite Member
  • 1993 Impreza Wagon - SOLD
    • Build
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »
I bought a TBE for the wagon from a NASIOC vendor. It was a "branded" TBE from ebay where the vendor tack welded his name plate to. (See wagon's member journal on RS25) The DP had horrible fitment. The one of the 5 bolt holes on the front end of the DP was not drilled correctly and didn't fit the exhaust housing of the turbo. I had to shave the inner diameter a couple mm to get it to fit.

GBOGH
-Jimmy
R35 GTR

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »
duly noted.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »
My favorite downpipe on my WRX and 1st swap was the Turbo XS bellmouth. It was awesome!

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
My favorite downpipe on my WRX and 1st swap was the Turbo XS bellmouth. It was awesome!

I appreciate the input. I'll keep my eyes open for a catted one.

Offline whitewgn02

• http://
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »
Im running a TurboXS catted downpipe right now.   Mine started to leak a little along the welds for the cat.  The fitment is great but it is big.  It hangs down a little bit more than others which may be an issue if you are lower than stock.  I'm at stock height and I've never scraped it though.

I have an old Bosal shorty downpipe and testpipe that I used to run if you are looking for something cheap. 

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »
is it catted? I need it to be catted. if so, ill pm you, we can work something out.

Offline whitewgn02

• http://
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
The shorty downpipe eliminates the first cat after the downpipe (the most restrictive one) and uses the stock cat after that.  It is basically the bare minimum to go stage 2.  You would be better off going with a full down pipe that uses a high flow cat but if price is an issue mine is cheap and just sitting in my garage.  Pm me if you are interested.   

Offline bstalder85

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
I also have the turboxs bellmouth "BMF" downpipe, the sound it makes is really great. I love the whistle that it gives and the spool up time is greatly reduced. more so than with others  is what I've heard on the streets... figuratively speaking that is
Turbo lag is my engines way of saying; "you buckled in? yep, okay lets do this!"

Offline jton

• Elite Member
  • 1993 Impreza Wagon - SOLD
    • Build
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »
Ben has my old whale ****, I mean shorty TXS dp. :)
-Jimmy
R35 GTR