Author Topic: WRX transmission feel  (Read 1596 times)

Offline adevney

WRX transmission feel
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
I can honestly say that I miss my Honda's in terms of how fun they were to drive. What is it about them that makes shifting and driving such a better experience? For example, we had a early 2000's Accord traded in at my dealership recently. It was a 6-speed. I drove the thing and it was much more fun to drive than my car. Slow as ####, but fun. Same thing with a CRV that we had traded in a while back.

Do shifter bushings even come close to bringing the shifting up to par with some other cars? Don't get me wrong I love my WRX, but it doesn't give me quite the driving experience that some of my older cars did. As of now I have a Kartboy short shifter on my '12. Will purchasing aftermarket bushings have the impact that I am seeking? Or at least help? I've never driven a WRX with aftermarket bushings so I'm unsure of the impact that they make.

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
Re: WRX transmission feel
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »
oddly enough, I think I know what you mean. I drove an 01 civic for 3 months. the shifting was crispy. In my wrx its not as tight. I'm hoping that some kartboy pieces clean it up. but I can't order until next week.

Offline adevney

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:20 PM »
The Kartboy bushing are fairly inexpensive so I think I'll give them a shot and see what that does.  I've read that the Group N transmission mount makes a difference too but I need to look into that a bit more.

Offline jthod

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
even after bushings, mine still has side to side slop. 

'04 PSM WRX, Helix DP, STi UP, Cobb Catback, RCE yellow springs, Tokico Spec-D's.  JAZ tuned.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
I've owned many Honda/Acuras in the past and nothing really comes close to their shifter feel.  I have the OEM STi short shifter with upgraded rear bushing and I'm content with how my WRX feels.  It's not as good as most of the Hondas, but EVERYTHING else about my WRX is better.  I traded in my Honda Fit which felt downright scary to drive in the rain.  I don't even notice it's raining when I drive my WRX.  AWD is a beautiful thing.

I've heard the Group N tranny mount helps.  Same with bushings.  I'd like to get a Grimmspeed master cylinder brace myself to improve braking feel.  An upgraded suspension would also help.  I know you have BC coilovers.  I don't want to compromise the stock ride quality with springs/coilovers so I'm going to try swaybars first.  I really need more power though.  You've already went there.   
-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 07:24:13 AM »
My car came from the factory with the STi short shifter which was nice (no bushing upgrades were available at the time from Subaru).
I soon put the Kartboy front and rear shifter bushing set in which really made a difference.  Didn't feel as spongey.
Went on to do the GroupN transmission mount and that made quite a difference too.
Everything feels nice and crisp now and all are pretty easy mods.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »
I've got the GroupN trans mount, and I highly recommend it. The 6spd in my spec.B still isn't quite as crisp as my old 07 Civic Si's 6spd (I need to get bushings and a short shifter), but I don't have to worry about the 3rd gear grind in my spec like I did in the Si. And as stated above, everything else about my Subaru is better than either of my Civics.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »

Offline jthod

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »
Pretty sure that's where my slack is.

'04 PSM WRX, Helix DP, STi UP, Cobb Catback, RCE yellow springs, Tokico Spec-D's.  JAZ tuned.

Offline adevney

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll give some of these things a shot.  And bspec you do make a great point about the 3rd gear grind.  Definitely something that I don't miss!

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 10:14:16 AM »
do you not have the third gear decel grind when in gear between 3k-2k rpm and slowing down?

Offline jthod

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »
I have a decel grind in like every gear.  Lightweight flywheel though

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »
I hate that grind.  :sadbanana

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:34:49 AM »
Surprised this wasn't suggested yet.

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_479_20_1183&products_id=357

If you do front and rear shifter bushings and still have slack in the shifter, this is your fix.
-Shawn