Author Topic: CVT Turbo?  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: CVT Turbo?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:46 AM »
Hmm, good point.  I suppose if it's not cost-effective, I'd rather pass this car down to my kids one day than kill the engine before I'm married.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »
It's always a tough transition from N/A to turbo.  You'll have to change out quite a bit just based on the difference in compression ratio as well as established safe power level for components.  People who turbo their 2.5RSes for example, can only run about 4-5psi of boost before having to upgrade rotating assembly parts (pistons, rods, etc.), lest they break.

If you're really set on a performance oriented 4th gen, you'd probably have the easiest time just swapping in another engine.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
If you're really set on a performance oriented 4th gen, you'd probably have the easiest time just swapping in another engine.

...which would be a lot of $$$, but still would be cool.  I'm pretty well attached to my 4th Gen, so it's something down the road I might consider.  Just running ideas through about it.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
Keep your car for a year or three...basically wait until the next generation of WRX and STi hits the streets.

Offline julozas

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
I say you leave the car the way it is. It's just way to difficult
Lincoln Meet

05 sti, lots o' mods.!

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
I say you leave the car the way it is. It's just way to difficult

qft

As many people have said both here, and on your Nasioc thread, don't do it, save your money and buy a toy/new wrx or sti.

I have a feeling you will quickly find yourself in a situation in which you're throwing good money after bad, and slowly going under on the project.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »
Sounds good to me.  I'm too attached to my Impreza to mess it up doing something like this.  I've got more than enough plans for other things to keep me busy and my Subie happy!