Author Topic: Snow Tire Threads and Opinions of your brand  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
Snow Tire Threads and Opinions of your brand
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
Okay, so we go through this every season and I thought that I would make a thread that had the last posts about winter tires that I could find.  We have quite a few members here now, and I think that it will help us to pick what tires we want to run if we hear testimonials.  Here are the threads that I could find so far:

http://www.nebraska-subaru.com/forum/index.php/topic,10686.0.html

http://www.nebraska-subaru.com/forum/index.php/topic,15619.msg148454/topicseen.html#msg148454

http://www.nebraska-subaru.com/forum/index.php/topic,8183.msg99688/topicseen.html#msg99688

Happy Reading and Enjoy!!!!

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
Re: Snow Tire Threads and Opinions of your brand
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
I have personally used Dunlop Wintersports (multiple times) as well as (current) Hankook Winter iPikes on my subies.  The wifes awd Rav4 has been running General Altimax for the last two years.  I had a set of Blizzaks however I sold them before they got used. 

I highly recommend the Dunlop Wintersports, I cant say enough positive things about them.  My WRX matched with these tires was great!!!  I was out tearing up roads when there were only 4x4 trucks out.

I went with the Hankooks, as the other tires I wanted were out of my budget for the Fozz.  The Hankooks have been good, however I only ran them last year and that is not enough to give a full review.  So far, they have been good. 

The wife's car is running General Altimax's.  I have to say they even make the sewing machine a tank in the snow.  She drives into the sticks of Iowa for her job and has never had any issues.  There were days that her clients couldnt believe that she came as even people with trucks were staying in.  She has had them two years, and the wear is going slow and steady.  She even ran them for quite some time this year after the snow and this summer as a spare set while her summers were down.  I definitely recommend them as well.

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »
I personally have Blizzaks all around. They were handling like a boss last "winter". Had no problem going through street that were not plowed yet. Cany wait to put them on again!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS70
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline OBP WRX

• bought it for the burble
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »
I have Nittos for the neon and they do great in the snow but cant stand them when the roads are clear.  I switched between my all seasons and snows several times last year.  I plan on going with Dunlops for the WRX this year but might try to get by on the old all seasons if it is mild like last year
Jerome

'05 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
I've tried Hankooks and Blizzaks most recently (others I can't exactly remember).  Blizzaks were worth the extra money IMO.  I will probably buy a set brand new for this winter.
-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project

Offline diabloblanca

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »
I as well had Blizzaks this past winter. I loved them and can't wait to slap them back on my car again this winter!

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
Nitto SN2.
They are great in the snow but sound like a monster truck on dry pavement.
The sidewalls are loose too but they're snow tires...not made to corner like on rails.

Offline jrhunter

• My graphic design business page
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:36:17 AM »
I loved my Blizzaks, I think they lasted 6 seasons on my car & 1 or 2 on another. Probably could have gotten away with one more but I got some Generals last year. They're good, I didn't really feel a difference. This is on my snowmobile of a CRX.
2013 Subaru BRZ - 1969 VW Beetle - 1990 Honda CRX

and out come the wolves, out come the wolves

Offline HawkWagon

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »
Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II. Simply brilliant.

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
Blizzaks are the best, but you have to pay more for them.   Ive had the Dunlop Wintersports which were great.  I currently have the Falkan Winter tires (cant remember what they are called), they are a lot like the wintersports.

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »
Out of all the reading that I had done while researching, it seemed that Blizzaks have the longer tread life out of others.  Someday I'd like to give them a try.

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »
I've been waiting for a thread like this.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:07:17 AM by onemanzu »

Offline Maggie

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:07 PM »
I had Dunlop Wintersports on my '04 WRX and they performed flawlessly. Pulled me up a snowy hill when a Range Rover 2 was having trouble.

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 07:59:33 AM »
My cars have always acted like a baws with the Dunlaps also.

Offline x.Ln

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »
had alpine pa3's, now running wintersport 4d's. I liked the alpines more. better stopping power and overall traction in the snow and ice. the dunlops feel better on the cold dry road days though. Next time around I'd spend the extra bucks and get the PA4s.
2013 SWP Subaru BRZ - shift knob
2006 WRB Subaru WRX STI - stage 2 pro tune

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 10:18:40 PM »
I enjoyed my Wintersport 3Ds. Those felt unstoppable. I had some old Blizzaks that were pretty good, don't know the model. I didn't enjoy the Blizzak WS60s. My current Falken Eurowinter HS 449s are great on cold pavement, great on snow, and scary on ice. They feel like summer tires on ice.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline ne0031

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 07:20:22 PM »
I've ran Blizzaks (WS70s and DMV1s), and switched to X-Ice 3's two years ago. I much prefer the X-Ice's thus far, especially when on dry pavement.