Author Topic: engine noise, help  (Read 920 times)

Offline zombiez07

engine noise, help
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:19:27 AM »
ok, so my car just got the timing belt replaced, seals, belts etc done at RG about a month ago.  everything was great.  recently i've noticed my car making a weird semi screeching/not happy sound, very brief but happens often.  it causes they car to hiccup, not severely but definitely noticeable, happens at any rpm, but ONLY when the heater/ac blower is turned on.  i popped the hood and let the car idle, with the heater on.  there's a pully on the drivers side that i've narrowed the problem to i think, but no idea why.  it's the one that spins randomly when the blower kicks on

http://www.slidegood.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5a2c14e15267eac9cad207bd7b2f8bbe/i/m/image_28959.jpg

it makes a screech when initiated.  there's a hex bolt on the front of the pully and nothing else.  i sprayed some wd40 on this bolt and it seemed to help briefly.  but now it's back again.  any ideas?  is the bolt on too tight?  need lube?  something else off?  the heat and ac do work just fine, so i don't think it's the motor... not sure how doing maintenance could make it go bad if it is?

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
Re: engine noise, help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
No ideas. Have you reached out to the RG?
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline jton

• Elite Member
  • 1993 Impreza Wagon - SOLD
    • Build
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
Year, Make, Model?

If you your car has some years on her, the accessory pulleys may be failing.  If all of your belts at tightened to spec, the pulleys may be squeaking from aged bearings.  The A/C tensioner pulley is a common one to go.
-Jimmy
R35 GTR

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »
nah, haven't contacted RG.  pretty sure it wasn't something they did or didn't do.  they're too good.
don't want to bother them if i don't need to.  it's a 2004 wrx.  103k miles.  the belts are all new and i'm assuming tightened to spec since RG did it.  EmJay said the pulleys looked pretty good too when they were off.  the ac tensioner, who knows.  is that a hard or expensive fix? 

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
update:  i think it has something to do with the ac compressor.. i can turn the heater on, but not on defrost or floor as it engages the ac compressor.  i'm assuming the ac tensioner pully is the culprit here?

Offline Finn

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
it could be the belt slipping and glazing over just a bit when the ac compressor kicks on, or its a pulley/bearing. try spraying the wd 40, or preferably actual belt dressing, on the ribbed side of the belt while its not running. start it and turn the ac on. if it squeaks then its probably not the belt and its probably the ac compressor clutch. its either wore too much or crooked in relation to the free spinning pulley. you could probably just get a compressor clutch and pulley and it would be taken care of.

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:45:47 AM »
i don't think it's the pully now.  if it was it would be more continuous i would think.  and it's not really a squeeling sound.  actually sounds a LOT like this clip, but doesn't happen with rpm/rev.  only when the defroster or ac is turned on, and then only when the compressor engages.  could a bad ac clutch cause the car to actually hiccup, very briefly?

wrx bad timing belt tensioner?

also, the guy above ended up having a bad geared timing belt pully.  what exactly is that?  again, i would think if it was a bad pully it would be a continuous sound?  i should probably find out what pully's, idlers etc were replaced by RG when the timing belt kit was put in.

Offline Finn

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »
i dont think its likely to do with your timing components because the timing belt tensioner is an oil filled tension type i believe, so its holding constant tension with oil pressure, and you did say that spraying the wd 40 on the compressor and or belt helped for a while. what exactly do you mean hiccup? like bog down the motor for split second? take a video or a sound recording

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:57:56 AM »
i'm going to try tightening the ac belt.  if that doesn't work, it's either the tensioner pully or the compressor clutch i think.  i've tried wd40 and brake cleaner and it still chirps when compressor engages.  the hiccup is almost like if you tapped the brakes for like a tenth of a second, very quick jerk.  from reading, i know there is a natural bog when the compressor starts, so maybe if the ac clutch is going out its just more pronounced?  no problems with defroster/ac off.  great timing with winter coming, i know.