Author Topic: Oil Change at the dealer?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline RYANIDEUS

Oil Change at the dealer?
« on: October 26, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »
Ok, I have a 2012 Impreza sport 2.0i.  I'm due for my first oil change.  I called Duteau Subaru to schedule the first change, and they want $65 to change the oil... :o  That seems outragous to me!  I've been changing my own oil for years, but I thought with this being a new car that I should go to the dealer for the first change at least.  I even use Amsoil synthetic oil, and I never spent that much for a change.

what does everybody else do?  Is this $65 a normal oil change cost, or am I getting honked for stuff I don't need?

Help!

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: Oil Change at the dealer?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »
It's much cheaper to do it yourself.  The reason it's twice as much is because changing them at 7,500 means dealerships do them half as much, so it often "justifies" the double price you're seeing.

I have a '12 Impreza too, and not a lot of places have the 0-W20 Synthetic oil it needs.  I just buy it wherever is cheapest and either do it myself or take it to a shop (did mine at RG once, had a great time) and done. 

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »
Just do it yourself. 5 Qt syn oil at wal mart is around $26-28. then filter is ~$10 and 30 min of time.
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline RYANIDEUS

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »
Looks like I'm going to do it myself.  I'm an amsoil dealer already and I can do it myself with the best oil for $40.   I would of thought the first change would of been free.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »
They don't call it the stealership for nothing ;)

(I do all my own oil changes as well)

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
Some dealerships do the "free oil change thing", but generally if it's something that's included, they'll tell you about it.  We frequently get requests or have folks assume that oil changes are free that are upset upon learning they are not.  It's just not something I've seen a lot at Subaru dealerships.  There are other brands that do it, though, and I think folks just start to assume everyone does.

Offline RYANIDEUS

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »
I never expected a free oil change, may have hoped for one though!  Now I can get to know my car better from the bottom half.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
EXACTLY!  I actually prefer working on my own car now that I have a little experience doing it.  Plus, if I don't know how to do something, I have the best Subaru community around to help me out.  The advice and help I've gotten since joining the NSOC has been nothing short of awesome.

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »
20 bucks at beardmore for my STi.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
Is that using the 0-W20 though?

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »

Nope. 2010 and below do not require synthetic.   I don't drive my Sti enough to justify the extra money on synthetic.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »
Gotcha.  The oil for your STi is likely on-hand and cheaper to get.  Until 0-W20 gets mainstream enough that dealers and service shops start carrying it in large enough quantities to bring the cost down, doing it yourself is probably the best way for now.

Offline TruRu

• Elite Member
  • 2008 WRX - VF52 and supporting mods
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »

Nope. 2010 and below do not require synthetic.   I don't drive my Sti enough to justify the extra money on synthetic.

Crap, so that means Beardmore used non-synthetic on my 2008 wrx right before I bought it...and I was going to use my free oil change at Beardmore next week.  I wonder if they would just let me pay the difference.

So what viscosity should I be using for synthetic?  I'm seeing 0w20 and 5w30 recommendations.

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
Something to also consider.  My father in law was a regional service and parts manager of a major auto producer for many years.  The dealerships like when you get your services done with them.  In the event that if something major happens with your car (beings its a newer car) sometimes that is the difference if they will fix it.  I am not saying do every change there, but keep that in mind. 

If it were me, and I had bought a new car, I would do the first one there, then have them do it every few rotations through the term of my warranty, then Id do them all myself.  Then again, I like knowing that I didnt leave the oil cap off, or under/over torque the drain pan bolt. 

Duteau seems to have a great reputation as a dealer in this area.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »
How much is it at Beardmore for a full synthetic oil change?  I know they usually give us NSOC'ers a discount.
-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project