Author Topic: Shift knobs can be more than just cosmetic  (Read 1810 times)

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
Shift knobs can be more than just cosmetic
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:01:20 PM »
So with Dusty in hibernation (for the most part) I decided to move the shift knob over to Ruby just to 'try it out'. I was amazed at how big of an impact it made on shifting feel alone. You see. I've not been overly pleased with the shifting feel of my WRX. I didn't want to do levers (alone) as I've never liked how notchy they get. The stock setup seemed notchy enough and kind of off/sloppy. My '03 WRX felt better if memory serves. I know it will never feel like my freshened M3 shifter, but still...

The knob is from WC Lathe Works. It is their black copolymer sphere with a couple grooves and the brass insert. Is not only shorter  ^_^ but it is also heavier  ;D than the stock knob. This combination has made the shifting much better. Shifts are more precise and direct with less notch/slop. I'm now hopeful that just the addition of bushings will make me a happy camper for the long haul. Only other real option is the STi full linkage kit in my opinion. I had that in my '03 WRX and it was awesome!

I was skeptical at first, but after a week I felt it worth posting. The weight of your knob can effect shift feel more than you might think.

Thanks - Jon
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:03:46 PM by omahasubaru »

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Shift knobs can be more than just cosmetic
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
I'd be interested now to try different weights.  I went from a rounded cylindrical plastic knob on the Legacy, to a machined solid metal cylinder and now a spherical delrin knob.  The spherical is definitely the most comfortable to date, but a little more weight would be welcome as I do feel like I'm "helping" the shift lever to engage at times.

Thanks for the write up!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:56:36 AM »
IMO it definitely makes a difference in shifter "feel."  I'm using the Subaru MOMO ball style.  I have the OEM STi short shifter and rear bushing.  I'm curious to know how much different it would feel to add the front bushing as well.
-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project

Offline need4speed2

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »
I use the stainless steel knob from Lathewerks as well .... love it so far ....a little cold in winter .... but I just tell Laura to wear gloves! :)

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
IMO it definitely makes a difference in shifter "feel."  I'm using the Subaru MOMO ball style.  I have the OEM STi short shifter and rear bushing.  I'm curious to know how much different it would feel to add the front bushing as well.

Mine came with the OEM Short shifter as well. Lets say those bushings were TRASH. Mine were cracking already and i was at around 20k miles. I replaced front and rear bushings with kartboy ones and WOW. It takes away that softness you feel and gives you a more direct feel into the gears. The price you pay to get this though is loud transmission/gear whine in 1st and 2nd gears.
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:43:21 AM »
I got the lightbulb looking one from latheworks.  Love it.

Offline Trick

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 03:21:06 PM »
I use the stainless steel knob from Lathewerks as well .... love it so far ....a little cold in winter .... but I just tell Laura to wear gloves! :)

Just wait, it'll get hot as #### in the summer.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »
Just wait, it'll get hot as #### in the summer.

Definitely. 

Meet your savior: http://www.etsy.com/listing/110316721/crochet-pikachu-pokemon-egg-warmer