Author Topic: Tire shop recommendations for mounting/balancing/alignment? -Lincoln  (Read 2477 times)

Offline CornOntheCobb

• 04 WRB STi
I'm thinking I should at least get some recommendations for a quality place to mount and balance my winter tires and wheels so I'm ready when snow is in the forecast. In the past I've always gone to Nebraska Tire (which I guess is now Nebraska Wholesale Tire (North) and Big Red Tire Pros (South)) and they've done a pretty good job with rotating and balancing but I just thought I'd see if there were any other recommendations.

I have a couple sets of BBS wheels so I want someone who's going to handle them with care and not scratch or scuff 'em up. I'm also thinking about getting an alignment done either now or when the summer tires go back on, so somewhere that does good alignment work would be good too.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Tire shop recommendations for mounting/balancing/alignment? -Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
At least for an alignment, I just did one with 6to6 Auto: http://www.6to6autoservice.com/ on the Legacy and had a very good experience.  Not sure if they do tires, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did.

You might do some more searching around on the forums, there have been some suggestions of mounting places in the past.

Offline fishbone

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
I've had very good experience with Firestone on North 66th. This is where I take my cars for anything to do with tires.
Also, The Shop Inc does a great job but they are way north.

Offline Trick

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »
The Daily Driver.

Offline CornOntheCobb

• 04 WRB STi
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 01:46:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to stick with the place I've had good experiences with and take it to Big Red Tire Pros.

Offline CornOntheCobb

• 04 WRB STi
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »
It's been a while but just thought I'd update this since I had a TERRIBLE experience at Big Red Tire Pros. I said that I had good experiences with them in the past but all they had done was rotating and balancing. And who messes that up.

I called a day or two in advance and scheduled a time to come in. I explained to the guy on the phone (the owner and the same guy I dealt with throughout the entire experience) that I just needed my summer wheels removed from the car and that I had winter tires that I needed mounted and balanced on winter wheels and then put on the car.

So I show up in my car and my brother shows up in his car, we unload the winter tires from his car and hand them off to the shop owner. I try explaining to him that my wheels - both summer and winter BBS sets - are expensive, in pristine condition, and not to scratch them but he doesn't seem to listen or care too much. I again go over what I want done and tell him that the winter wheels are boxed up in the back of my car. I pull my car into the garage and wait in the waiting area.

I kinda start to worry that the owner guy didn't relay the message to his goons about the winter wheels being in the back of the car and jokingly tell my brother that it would be pretty awful if they mounted the winter tires on the summer wheels... I was periodically looking through the window trying to see what was going on and only a few minutes after joking about this I saw that's exactly what they had done...

I go through the door to the garage and tell the owner they did it wrong. His somewhat rhetorical response,
"Are you fvcking kidding me?"
- "I told you they were in the back of my car!"

I pull the car back into the garage, take the winter wheels out of the car, set them down and wait while the winter tires are removed from the summer wheels, the summer tires are re-mounted and re-balanced onto the summer wheels and finally the winter tires are mounted and balanced on the winter wheels and put on the car. I had to wait an extra hour and he charged me full price! He said something like,
"I'm really sorry about that, I hope the extra wait wasn't a problem...?"
I was too much of a b!tch to try and haggle the price with him. I was mostly frustrated that were messing around with my summer wheels and tires that didn't need to be touched and of course the extra hour was annoying. It was the day before our first big snow and things were kinda hectic around the shop, but that's no excuse.

I get home, inspect the wheels and find these scratches on a winter wheel. Some of it did buff out/off but it's still noticeable.

ANNNNND as if that wasn't enough, about a month ago when I went to put the summer wheels back on the car they had left me a final parting gift... one of the tires was mounted backwards... and they're directional tires. I had to wait for them to open up in the morning to get it mounted correctly.

If anyone actually reads this, I apologize it's so long but they messed a lot of things up! Needless to say, it was an incredibly awful experience and exactly why I hate leaving my car in the hands of others.

Offline Trick

Offline StiCam

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
Well I knew that would happen! I do most the alignments at Daily Driver and tire/wheel mounting, balancing, etc. We are right down the street from them and we do all their alignments, so if you are paying for an alignment through them they are only bringing it down to us, we do the alignment, they pick it up, and they charge you more for an alignment than we would have. We also do alignments, suspension part replacement, wheels/tires for Wayne's Body Shop, Beeman Automotive, and Speidell Body Shop to name a few! With that being said we are picky and thorough with our alignments, we ALWAYS do a suspension shake down before anything to make sure everything is tight and in good condition that way you get a warranty otherwise we will not warranty our alignments for anything that is jacked up, i.e. loose ball joints etc.. So if you want stuff done right, give us a call and we will get you hooked up! 402-423-2345

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »
Good to know, thanks for the info!

Offline CornOntheCobb

• 04 WRB STi
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 10:24:33 AM »
The Daily Driver.
Okaaaaay I guess I'll listen to you now.... (damn it!)

Well I knew that would happen! I do most the alignments at Daily Driver and tire/wheel mounting, balancing, etc. We are right down the street from them and we do all their alignments, so if you are paying for an alignment through them they are only bringing it down to us, we do the alignment, they pick it up, and they charge you more for an alignment than we would have. We also do alignments, suspension part replacement, wheels/tires for Wayne's Body Shop, Beeman Automotive, and Speidell Body Shop to name a few! With that being said we are picky and thorough with our alignments, we ALWAYS do a suspension shake down before anything to make sure everything is tight and in good condition that way you get a warranty otherwise we will not warranty our alignments for anything that is jacked up, i.e. loose ball joints etc.. So if you want stuff done right, give us a call and we will get you hooked up! 402-423-2345

Haha - how did you know that would happen? Do they mess a lot of things up? I'm never taking my car to Big Red Tire "Pros" again. But I really like what I hear about your alignment work. My steering wheel is off, it has to be turned slightly to the left to go straight. Is that something an alignment would fix? I'll be in touch once I get my suspension replaced.

I have 107k miles on the stock suspension and have the infamous clunking in the rear shocks... along with some other rough noises from something in the fronts. I would love to keep it stock and am tempted to just send them off to FEAL but I don't want (what seems like?) a cover-up fix like Zerk fittings. I also don't want to buy a lower mileage stock suspension setup or new shocks only to get the clunking later. I guess my other option is coilovers. I really would prefer to keep it stock but if a certain set of coilovers is a better value I might just opt for that.... I dunno.....

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
If you want coilovers that won't leave you in worse shape in a year or two, you'll want to make sure to budget for it.  Don't expect great results for less than $1500 or so.

FEAL makes good products but I can't speak to their refurbishing/revalving work.

Struts are a wear item, sooner or later you will have to replace or service them again.  The only real questions are ride comfort vs. performance and your budget.

Offline StiCam

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »
The Daily Driver.
Okaaaaay I guess I'll listen to you now.... (damn it!)

Haha - how did you know that would happen? Do they mess a lot of things up? I'm never taking my car to Big Red Tire "Pros" again. But I really like what I hear about your alignment work. My steering wheel is off, it has to be turned slightly to the left to go straight. Is that something an alignment would fix? I'll be in touch once I get my suspension replaced.

I have 107k miles on the stock suspension and have the infamous clunking in the rear shocks... along with some other rough noises from something in the fronts. I would love to keep it stock and am tempted to just send them off to FEAL but I don't want (what seems like?) a cover-up fix like Zerk fittings. I also don't want to buy a lower mileage stock suspension setup or new shocks only to get the clunking later. I guess my other option is coilovers. I really would prefer to keep it stock but if a certain set of coilovers is a better value I might just opt for that.... I dunno.....
They are supposed to check for bad/loose align parts, but they slack highly on that part! They send some pretty jacked up things down to us and when we tell them it's jacked up they just say, "That's fine, align it anyways!" But that's their deal not ours, I personally wouldn't want to operate my shop that way.
As far as your steering wheel, an alignment would straighten your steering wheel! That is simply a problem with your toe and would require us adjusting your tie rods.

Offline CornOntheCobb

• 04 WRB STi
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »
If you want coilovers that won't leave you in worse shape in a year or two, you'll want to make sure to budget for it.  Don't expect great results for less than $1500 or so.

FEAL makes good products but I can't speak to their refurbishing/revalving work.

Struts are a wear item, sooner or later you will have to replace or service them again.  The only real questions are ride comfort vs. performance and your budget.

I wouldn't spend more than $1500 for coilvers, that's for sure. FEAL makes a coilover kit for $1350 and I bet that's some quality stuff. The STi is a DD, so that's kinda why I like keeping it close to stock and another reason I don't really need coilovers along with the fact that I'm totally fine with the stock height. I also would prefer ride comfort vs. performance, nothing too incredibly soft and lacking in performance though. It sounds like there are different specs you can have your struts tuned to through FEAL's STi revalve service.

I think I really want to go the FEAL route, but am just concerned the grease Zerks are more of a band-aid/cover-up than anything. This guy explains why the clunking happens and how the grease, "...works like a bushing, for the lack of a better word."
http://youtu.be/zYiP4DG_OQU?t=4m56s

I should probably just contact FEAL directly and ask.

Do you think if I were to get a low-mileage stock suspension or new struts that the clunking problem would be just as inevitable?

Offline CornOntheCobb

• 04 WRB STi
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »

They are supposed to check for bad/loose align parts, but they slack highly on that part! They send some pretty jacked up things down to us and when we tell them it's jacked up they just say, "That's fine, align it anyways!" But that's their deal not ours, I personally wouldn't want to operate my shop that way.
As far as your steering wheel, an alignment would straighten your steering wheel! That is simply a problem with your toe and would require us adjusting your tie rods.

Yeah no kidding, definitely not a respectable way to run a business.. unless they're also telling customers that their alignment won't be warrantied because something in the suspension was messed up. Good to hear on the steering wheel, I'll be in touch once I can get my suspension sorted out.

Offline StiCam

• Novice
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 02:38:52 PM »

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
I've had great luck with my Stance coils.  Ride nice and handle great.  Don't drive my car much but they have done me great!