Author Topic: Need an Alignment - Recommedations?  (Read 2188 times)

Offline commbubba19

Need an Alignment - Recommedations?
« on: January 07, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
Any places that people have had good luck?

I'm extremely anal about having a centered steering wheel and tracking straight on the highway.  So a performance oriented alignment isn't necessary for me.  I just want an accurate alignment done right the first time.

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
Re: Need an Alignment - Recommedations?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »
Ron's garage.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »
Ron's Garage is great, and a sponsor on this forum.

This last time, I was impatient, and Firestone at 144 & Maple could get me in that evening for a 5:30 appointment. They were done by 6:20. I ended up buying the $200 lifetime alignment instead of the $80 one-time. Now, I can go to any Firestone in the country and have an alignment done for free for as long as I own the car. I'm a sucker for deals.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 07:12:53 PM »
Ron's did mine to specs and it was super close to exactly what I wanted. They were also reasonably priced. I heard there was a bit of a shake-up since I had been there though.

Heartland tire just opened by my house (off grover between 72nd and 60th) and has an alignment special listed for 49 on the giant flashy board. Haven't ever used them so YMMV.

Offline 00rs

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »
Ron's Garage is great, and a sponsor on this forum.

This last time, I was impatient, and Firestone at 144 & Maple could get me in that evening for a 5:30 appointment. They were done by 6:20. I ended up buying the $200 lifetime alignment instead of the $80 one-time. Now, I can go to any Firestone in the country and have an alignment done for free for as long as I own the car. I'm a sucker for deals.

Make sure they give you a print out and understand what your reading...seen more than one of those "alignments" where the front toe was set and that was all.   And just because all the little boxes are "green" doesnt mean you have a good alignment...

jp

Offline OBP WRX

• bought it for the burble
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:29:28 PM »
I have heard max neg camber up front and zero toe all the way around is a good set up for a spirited DD, is that correct?  What should the rear camber be?  05 wrx stock suspension (for now)
Jerome

'05 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
sure if you want the inside of your tires worn out.

if you get an alignment, ask for a full 4 wheel or thrust alignment.  that way the also align the rear wheels in relation to the front.  camber should remain within factory specs for tire life and max contact patch for street driving.  1-2* or anywhere within.  Just make sure to tell them both sides to match.

toe should be 0 or a tad negative in.  my alignment sheet is at home somewhere but my toe is set to zero all around and i can't remember the camber but it was near factory and equal on each side.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 03:00:20 PM »
Discount Tire just opened on 78th & Cass St, but unfortunately they don't do alignments.  They recommended Brakes Plus and said it's $50.
-16 WRX STi
-97 Impreza OBS
-69 Camaro SS project

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »
You can try Firestone. I paid $150 and get as many alignments as I want as long as you own the car.
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline 00rs

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »
Alignment specs depend on your suspension setup and driving style...stiff suspension and a bunch of neg camber = understeer on my car on the street.  Have to look at the whole package. 

.5 degree of camber can make all the difference when pushing the car to the limit...

jp

Offline OBP WRX

• bought it for the burble
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 04:08:50 PM »
Right now I am on stock suspension with front and rear strut bars.  Want to get a little more agressive alignment (nothing too severe) to dial out some understeer.  I don't think you can get too much neg camber w/ stock anyway.  I will be upgrading the endlinks and then getting sways (probably Cobb).  Upgrade some of the bushings and then start saving for the expensive stuff. 
Jerome

'05 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX