Author Topic: TRUE HID kit for 08+ Impreza  (Read 1893 times)

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
TRUE HID kit for 08+ Impreza
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »
I've been eye-balling this kit for a while since I've been feeling guilty about having a plug-n-play kit installed in my car for a while. It wasn't until the recent snow storm that made me want to ditch my p-n-p kit for some old school halogens.

When I was driving home from work in the snow I really couldn't see down the road very well because of the scattered light coming from the improper use of an HID kit in a Halogen setup. I was pretty much being blinded by the snow...kind of like driving in the fog or snow with your high beams on. It didn't make me feel very comfortable driving anywhere at night.

So, in the meantime I have a set of Silver Stars in place of my HID kit. That's right, I ditched my HIDs in favor of a proper setup.
Not only was I not seeing well in the snow and rain but fog too. Plus the blinding of oncoming traffic is beyond rude. I'm honestly surprised I've never been flashed.

In doing some looking around on The Retrofit Source's site I found this kit for my car. If you're going to do an HID retro fit please please please spend the money to do a proper retrofit. Not just for your benefit but for the other drivers.

The pictures of the cutoff lines are amazing plus the benefit of HID high beams with this kit is pretty killer too. It'll make some of my late night country road drives home a lot safer (already hit 1 deer this winter and don't want to repeat that).

Anyway, check this kit out. It's well worth the money in my opinion.  TRS 08+ WRS HID Kit  <---- write up
TRS Kit For Purchase
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:25:23 AM by kevinmfb »

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
Re: TRUE HID kit for 08+ Impreza
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »
+1 on TRS

I ordered a set of Morimoto HID bulbs from them.  Very fast shipping!!!!  And the bulbs are good quality and look very nice.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Kevin B.,

So you have these installed? I'd love to check them out sometime. HID has been on my list.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:22:59 AM by omahasubaru »

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 01:26:51 PM »
Kevin B.,

So you have these installed? I'd love to check them out sometime. HID has been on my list.

I do not have a set of these installed...yet.
It's something I'm going to purchase before spring comes along.

I've owned a vehicle with factory HIDs and they ruled.  The drop in kits suck in comparison.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
TRS is what I will go with if/when I ever get around to HIDs. They have nothing but positive reviews on the Legacy forum. I've seen group buys offered on the national Legacy and Forester national boards. If anyone comes across one again, please post up here.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
If you don't want to mess with doing a 'true' retro fit, replace your stock H11 bulbs with H9 bulbs.  H11 bulbs are about 1350lumens while H9 are 2100.  HID's are around 3000lumens depending on the ballast and bulb. 

Regarding proper installation.  PNP kits into a projector housing are better than those that put them in reflector housings.  Those are the worst.  However, I've seen alot of factory HID's that blind the heck out of me.

I also want to add, a complete cut off is technically illegal as well.  The reason why there is supposed to be some light above the cut of is to light roadway signs which are usually 6' high or higher.  This is why e-code lights are technically illegal.  Not saying PNP is right, just saying that a pure cut off isn't better either.

Also, anything above 5k color is worthless for better lighting, even if putting out 3k+ lumens.  Your eyes don't see blue as well as yellow/white.  Try staring at a blue led and see if you can focus on it.  You can't and it hurts your eyes. 

In summary, the cheapest upgrade is to go H9 halogens.  If you want blue or yellow, a few companies make 65w H9's in different colors.  Amazon has some Philips H9 bulbs for about $9ea.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
I want to have a proper setup. Color is of no concern to me...just want the best vision from behind the wheel without blinding on-coming traffic.
I haven't seen hardly any newer factory HID equipped cars that are blinding, personally.

The deal with blue is totally correct. I hate the people driving around with blue headlights...or purple. The light output isn't there.
That's why dash lights are mostly red these days. I got into a VW GTI and the dash was blue.  It looked cool and all but kinda made my eyes hurt. I prefer my red and white gauges :)

Offline Steve-O

• Novice
  • SUBLURU!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 02:02:59 AM »
I have the 4300K TRS kit in my car and it is amazing!  I didn't wire up the HID high beam actuator, but with the clear lenses and proper HID projectors I never need my high beams anymore.  Lot's of useable light on the road and if you look right on at my car the lights look like a small blue ball to other drivers.  No glare and an amazing cutoff line!  I highly recommend spending the extra cash and getting the TRS kit.  Took me about a day to get it all installed but it was totally worth it.

Here are some pictures of the install/lights in operation

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/533012_10150752492963254_2031865435_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/390056_10150487891738254_1799605567_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/381512_10150479230578254_165256579_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391897_10150478858218254_229737688_n.jpg
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:37:32 AM by Steve-O »

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »
For anyone interested, there is a current group buy going for the TRS kit:
http://www.nebraska-subaru.com/forum/index.php/topic,16398.0.html
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline GrantJimenez

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:28:56 PM »
I've been eye-balling this kit for a while since I've been feeling guilty about having a plug-n-play kit installed in my car for a while. It wasn't until the recent snow storm that made me want to ditch my p-n-p kit for some old school halogens.

When I was driving home from work in the snow I really couldn't see down the road very well because of the scattered light coming from the improper use of an HID kit in a Halogen setup. I was pretty much being blinded by the snow...kind of like driving in the fog or snow with your high beams on. It didn't make me feel very comfortable driving anywhere at night.

So, in the meantime I have a set of Silver Stars in place of my HID kit. That's right, I ditched my HIDs in favor of a proper setup.
Not only was I not seeing well in the snow and rain but fog too. Plus the blinding of oncoming traffic is beyond rude. I'm honestly surprised I've never been flashed.

In doing some looking around on The Retrofit Source's site I found this kit for my car. If you're going to do an HID retro fit please please please spend the money to do a proper retrofit. Not just for your benefit but for the other drivers.

The pictures of the cutoff lines are amazing plus the benefit of led lighting high beams with this kit is pretty killer too. It'll make some of my late night country road drives home a lot safer (already hit 1 deer this winter and don't want to repeat that).

Anyway, check this kit out. It's well worth the money in my opinion.  TRS 08+ WRS HID Kit  <---- write up
TRS Kit For Purchase

Ya wonderful kits.. I have been searching for new kits for my car and i think I will get these kits now..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:43:07 AM by GrantJimenez »

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »
If anyone is still looking into this, take a look at the linked thread on legacygt.com. We all had quite a bit of difficulty with this "retro-quick" kit. Long story short, I went all summer without having usable headlights. Due to an improper bracket, they were aimed straight down. After quite a bit of hassle and several months, TRS finally provided updated brackets.

My lights are great now, and I love having retrofit HIDs, but I have a hard time recommending TRS. They eventually made it right, and the price is great, but they aren't the easiest company to work with if you have problems.