Author Topic: '08+ a-pillar trim creak  (Read 3441 times)

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
'08+ a-pillar trim creak
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
So... I'm curious how many people have this problem in our club. Everyone I've spoken to about it with the same generation car have the problem in the cold like I have.

I've read up some fixes as I honestly don't think the dealers will resolve it properly.

If you have it please vote and even chime in. If you've fixed it, please vote and chime in with what you did.

Thanks - Jon
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:03:44 AM by omahasubaru »

Offline Arani Rey

Re: '08+ a-pillar trim creak
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
After having mine for two weeks I can say, not yet.. But the cargo cover rattles and I can hear other rattles near the defrost vents if they're really hot.

Its only because the car is so quiet that I can hear them.. I can say I never heard a rattle in my DSM  8)

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:29:17 PM »
Only thing that Ive noticed is the cargo cover rattling....I just turn up the music to drown it out.

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:17:52 AM »
I have to many noises from my interior i just ignore them now. Going over bumps sounds like a roller coaster. All these wierd sounds coming out of no where.
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:29:49 AM »
Only thing that Ive noticed is the cargo cover rattling....I just turn up the music to drown it out.

Want to do a test for me? take that cover out for a week, tell me if it still rattles. I have a rattle from the rear. It isn't the cargo cover.
It's somewhere in the plastic trim on the rear door of the hatch. The cover has been out for a month, the sound remains.

Offline KDG12WRX

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:29:45 AM »
I'm taking mine in Monday for an oil change and tire rotation ("12" Hatch).  They will be looking at the rear pillars, dash (passenger side), rear suspension, and engine compartment for creaks, rattles, rubbing, and knocking.  It's getting annoying  :o, the service manager said it is normal and may just need some lubrication!  I'll update everyone Monday afternoon.
KG
2012 ISM WRX Hatch

Offline watercrawl

• Marr Knives
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »
I'm like MF....my 11 has so many creaks, rattles, and noises that I simply can't worry about it any more.  I've decided it's simply how the car is.....and I'm fine with it when I mash the gas pedal every so often.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »

Want to do a test for me? take that cover out for a week, tell me if it still rattles. I have a rattle from the rear. It isn't the cargo cover.
It's somewhere in the plastic trim on the rear door of the hatch. The cover has been out for a month, the sound remains.

I have the same issue, Jon.
It's almost like a nut or a screw moving around inside the trim panels.
Plus, my hatch handle is loose and wiggles around quite a bit.

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
Get some air conditioner foam and foam tape (camper tape) from lowes.  They come in different sizes.

I took the rear hatch plastic paneling off and put the foam tape in key spots and then strips of foam for insulation and then reinstalled.  No more rattles.  However, I believe there is a rattle inside the hatch where the latch mechanism is.  I need to take the panelling off and check.

On the A-pillars, they are easy to remove and the same foam tape/foam strips did the trick for me.

Maybe this spring we should have a rattle fix meet.   ;D

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »

Might have to run for 2 days  :P

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 02:20:04 PM »
Get some air conditioner foam and foam tape (camper tape) from lowes.  They come in different sizes.

I took the rear hatch plastic paneling off and put the foam tape in key spots and then strips of foam for insulation and then reinstalled.  No more rattles.  However, I believe there is a rattle inside the hatch where the latch mechanism is.  I need to take the panelling off and check.

On the A-pillars, they are easy to remove and the same foam tape/foam strips did the trick for me.

Did you follow a thread on where to put the foam tape? I've seen one. Or did you just decide where to put it yourself?

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

Did you follow a thread on where to put the foam tape? I've seen one. Or did you just decide where to put it yourself?

I winged it.

Offline KDG12WRX

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »
A trip to Beardmore for previosuly mentioned items, oil change - check, tire rotation - check, and creaks, rattles and bumbs - confirmed by tech and another appt next week to leave the car so they can tear it apart to locate the problem.  Fingers crossed!
2012 ISM WRX Hatch

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »
A trip to Beardmore for previosuly mentioned items, oil change - check, tire rotation - check, and creaks, rattles and bumbs - confirmed by tech and another appt next week to leave the car so they can tear it apart to locate the problem.  Fingers crossed!

I've had mixed luck with tech's doing rattle fix work.  Sometimes they know exactly what to fix because its a common issue that people have brought their car in for, other times they simply don't hear what you hear and don't fix it.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 12:18:03 PM »

I've had mixed luck with tech's doing rattle fix work.  Sometimes they know exactly what to fix because its a common issue that people have brought their car in for, other times they simply don't hear what you hear and don't fix it.
...and end up with more rattles and creaks...

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »
If anyone needs help with rattles let me know.  I've had the a-pillars, gauge cluster, radio bezel, and all the hatch trim apart and fixed.  Pretty rock solid sounding unless over some really bad roads.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
I'd take some assistance. I'll be in touch when I can find some time available and let you know in advance.

Offline KDG12WRX

• Novice
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
Update: WRX went in to be looked at for the creaks, come to find out the shifter was working itself loose and a majority of the suspension and bushings were in need if some lubrication.  A huge thanks to Mark and the unknown tech at Beardmore for helping me out!  I even was given a courtesy ride while they worked on it, 2013 Legacy, nice ride, but no WRX ;)
2012 ISM WRX Hatch

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »
Update: WRX went in to be looked at for the creaks, come to find out the shifter was working itself loose and a majority of the suspension and bushings were in need if some lubrication.  A huge thanks to Mark and the unknown tech at Beardmore for helping me out!  I even was given a courtesy ride while they worked on it, 2013 Legacy, nice ride, but no WRX ;)

Odd considering my car is the same age.  Very surprised the suspension was 'dry'.  I've replaced the shifter bushings and shifter and when i did i greased the moving parts. 

If i could just find my random hatch rattle i'd be good.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »
I doubt they were, they probably just lubed everything up as a line item on the sheet.

Offline brendentl

• Novice
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
just incase anyone cared there is a TSB on this issue and how to properly fix it i performed it on both a pillars and no more squeak i have access to the tsb at work if people want it ill get it and post it let me know ;)

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »
Posting it would be great.

Offline brendentl

• Novice
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »
here is a tsb for the a pillar as well as somone said they heard a rattle in the back there is a tsb for the rear cover they redisgned the spring piece on that but they said they drove with out it and it was still there so i found another tsb for wagons where something near the spare tire is rattling hopes this helps guys! also sorry if these end up side ways just tilt your head

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
here is a tsb for the a pillar as well as somone said they heard a rattle in the back there is a tsb for the rear cover they redisgned the spring piece on that but they said they drove with out it and it was still there so i found another tsb for wagons where something near the spare tire is rattling hopes this helps guys! also sorry if these end up side ways just tilt your head

For the A-pillars, that's very similar to what I did plus a little more.

Regarding the hatch - I need to check that as that might be exactly what the problem is.  I can see that making the sound too.  I'll post up what i find.

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
The rear TSB must be for older models.  On my MY2012 that piece is oriented differently so that it would not hit the metal cover.