Author Topic: Rubber heel pad on floor mats DIY  (Read 2446 times)

Offline BIG ERV

Rubber heel pad on floor mats DIY
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »
So I was bored today and got the idea to make some rubber heel pads for the BRZ.  When I owned my Integra, the OEM floor mats wore down from the constant moving of the heel from brake to gas.  I did not want this to happen again so went down to Home Depot and bought some rubber weather mat.  It came in a huge roll but figured I could cut some other things out of it ya know?  Never hurts to have too much.  Anyways.  This is the end result.  I need to find some Velcro that will hook to the OEM mats.  You take the hook side of the Velcro and stick it to the rubber mat.  Then you lay the rubber mat down and BAM!.  Make sure if you do this, do not get the spiked rubber mats.  Make sure it is smooth on one side so the Velcro sticks.

What you need:
Something delicious to drink
Cutting device (I used some sheet metal scissors)
Rubber mat
Long hook Velcro with adhesive on one side
Time and patience.

Here are the mats in their respective positions.  Left is driver, right is passenger.

Offline DaBrat

• Novice
Re: Rubber heel pad on floor mats DIY
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »
Did the velcro work?  If not, I've got some other ideas...
DaBrat

'08 Legacy 3.0R, '12 Toyota Tacoma, '02 TransAm WS6 Convertible

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »
I remember talking to you about this and I'm glad you posted it. I'll probably do that this spring once I get the winter mats out  8)

Offline BIG ERV

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »
I could not get the vecro to stick, even the heavy duty hook.  I am all ears for ideas.  I was going to get them stitched with red thread.

Offline DaBrat

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
First, we kinda need to decide if you are going to take these off in the future, or if this is permanent and you just really like the look of the OEM mats.....

TEMP:
1)  I've got a little staple gun (medical one, used for suturing instead of stitches).  It works, kinda like a hog ring pliers, only smaller.  I don't know have many staples I have left, got it from a surgical nurse friend of mine. 
2)  Hog rings

PERM:
1)  Stitch like you said
2)  Hot glue gun
3)  Some other kind of adhesive, like 3M trim adhesive.  Remains flexible, but will hang on like a freaking tick

MAJOR DEVIATION:
1)  "Shave" the fibers off the mat and then adhere your rubber in place.  That would look nice, because then the rubber would be countersunk "into" the carpet.
DaBrat

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »
Maybe hit the underside of the rubber mats with some good degreaser?
Sometimes they can have an oily residue or feel to them.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
I tend to rest my feet further forward in the passenger seat. You may want to consider that.

Or just get some of those digifit rubber mats and just keep you stock ones nice and clean.

Offline BIG ERV

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:31 PM »
Yeah I went the WeatherTech route for floor mats.  I want to run the stock mats in the summer though but the Heel wear is so bad, after a month of driving, it is showing big time.

Also DaBrat, I am liking the last idea!  Right now the mats are in the house and out of the car.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:36:10 PM by BIG ERV »

Offline DaBrat

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
BZZZZZZZZZZ.  Bald spot mats coming up then........just do it smaller than your rubber pad first and trim slowly out.  That way, you'll eventually get it to fit just BEAUTIFULLY.

DaBrat

Offline BIG ERV

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »
I think I will be adding a little padding under the rubber if/when it happens