Author Topic: shifter install  (Read 1227 times)

Offline b-dup

shifter install
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »
im trying to find someone to help me install front and rear bushings on '11 wrx sedan. im kind of a noobie when it comes to auto mechanics and i only have socket and screw driver tools. just wondering if anyone could help me with tools and experience because i may get the kartboy shifter package in a couple days
when you are asked why, reply with why not?

Offline MasterForce

Re: shifter install
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »
Its a pretty easy install but can take a while if bolts dont want to come out. I think the longest part was putting the rear bushing bolts on because i cross threaded the material where they bolt back into. Once you have bushing in, you WILL get alot of transmission noise in first and second gear. Do not worry, this is normal because there are less soft items to absorb the tranny noise. Heres how I did it.

-Jack front of car
-Remove exhaust heatshield from under car. (its really tricky)
-Disconnect Rear O2 sensor from the car NOT THE EXHAUST. (Allow you to remove shield)
-Remove two bolts from rear bushing. (There's no nuts)
-Undo front bushing bolt. Its gonna be a PITA since space will be limited. You will have to do alot of jiggling to take it out. (Nut for this is welded)
-Remove front bushing. I ripped it to pieces because it would not come out. I used some pliers, WD-40, cursing, b.ruised knuckles and time.
-Lubed bushings and put them on.
-Put front bushing bolt it. (Took me around 30 mins  :sadbanana )
-Put rear bushing bolts in. I cross threaded the material they screw into so it took me  a while to "force" them in.
-Put heatshield back in and bolt it up.
-Plug O2 sensor pigtail
-Bring car down.
-Enjoy.

Here is a video but its a STI. Ignore the reverse lockout as WRXs dont have this. He also jacked the tranny but I was able to do it without it. Then again I had a Invidie TBE so the bulky stock exhaust was not in the way.  2010 Subaru STi Kartboy shifter bushings install

Here are threads for more info.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239707

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-suspension-handling-stiffening/134654-kb-f-r-bushings-short-shifter-install-experience-2008-sti.html#post2067894
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:13:57 AM »
I'm new to Subaru and haven't done this to mine yet, but I would be glad to offer a hand and some tools. I have years of mechanical experience and I've gotten used to working at home without a lift haha. Just let me know!

Offline commbubba19

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
I can help.  We can do it at my house on ramps or wherever.  Be nice to do it when it's a bit warmer though.

Offline b-dup

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:29:55 PM »
im gonna be ordering the parts in the next couple days so hopefully this heat waves keeps up
when you are asked why, reply with why not?

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 08:43:37 PM »
I built myself a set of ramps that support the whole vehicle for occasions like turbo-back exhaust, headers, subframe connectors.. ect. Its more than enough room to roll around on a creeper and carry a part on your chest to get it in place. I used 2x12 and it worked really well. The weakest part is the ramp parts, which my camaro broke once so I made them shallower. It didn't hurt the car though.

I copied this design.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bti-rr-pps/media/images