Author Topic: Spouses reactions to buying BRZ/GT86  (Read 2843 times)

Offline BIG ERV

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: Spouses reactions to buying BRZ/GT86
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
...Happy Wife, Happy Life?

I still think it's a funny commercial, but it's also horrifically true!

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
So what they're saying is I should get one....

-zek
you really should. it sounds better than two V8s having sex with a blowoff valve while a v12 tapes the whole thing.

Offline BIG ERV

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »
EXACTLY haha, I couldn't help but laugh.  European commercials are awesome. 

Offline Matt

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
That was.. Different. lol

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
That was.. Different. lol

Very...

What I got from it...  They married the wrong people.  My wife gave me an ultimatum after we had been dating for a year or so.  She said it was her or the car (SHO)...  I told her not to touch anything on her way out.  She got it from there on.

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
That's similar to how my wife might react.....if I came home with any new vehicle without first consulting with her on the budgeting plan first and if I didn't take her with me since she likes car shopping.

All that to say this;  If your woman can't accept the hobbies you enjoy, then she doesn't accept an important part of who you are and therefore, I would agree with jaz's reaction to his now wife's ultimatum. Think about this, folks.  If you are with someone unaccepting of the responsible time and money put into your hobbies, you might want to rethink that relationship. 

I'm a car guy through and through and appreciate most all facets of the genre.  I would not have chosen a wife that doesn't also have an appreciation for our four-wheeled fanaticism.   :subaru:

Offline BIG ERV

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 05:59:57 PM »
I was with a girl that consistently felt the need to ask my why I cared about my car so much.  I told her, clearning/detailing the car to me was relaxing.  Put some tunes on and wipe down the lines of the car.  It was/still is soothing to me.  I told her it was a hobby and I grew up loving cars.  Heck, at age 5 I could name every vehicle on the road by year and model.  I still do it.  I might have also given her a smart remark saying there is a reason you spend a lot of money getting the car repaired all of the time.  She did not like that lol.  Needless to say, I agree, if a woman is not going to accept you for who you are, and I am not changing, then she is not the one.

Some of the reactions in this video the women were mad but wanted comfort from the husband too haha.  I think the premise of the video as well is, they all probably thought it was a 50k dollar sports car, not a 25k or so. 

Offline Kenny McKee

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »
I was with a girl that consistently felt the need to ask my why I cared about my car so much.  I told her, clearning/detailing the car to me was relaxing.  Put some tunes on and wipe down the lines of the car.  It was/still is soothing to me.  I told her it was a hobby and I grew up loving cars.  Heck, at age 5 I could name every vehicle on the road by year and model.  I still do it.  I might have also given her a smart remark saying there is a reason you spend a lot of money getting the car repaired all of the time.  She did not like that lol.  Needless to say, I agree, if a woman is not going to accept you for who you are, and I am not changing, then she is not the one.

My girlfriend does not like my car. Not in the way of "Why do you have it" but just because it's not her style. Thus, she aptly nicknamed it an "Impretzel" because of the way I say Impreza. (Impretsa)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:19:44 PM by Kenny McKee »

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
Starts to sound Italian saying it like that... though with Japanese being "phonetic", Im-pre-za has always been how I've said it.

Before I do ANYTHING to my car, I run it by my fiance.  Even with my growling exhaust I just got, she still manages to put her stamp of approval on the schtuff I do.  It's nice, even if she doesn't quite understand why I go nuts over this thing.

Offline Lesac

• Elite Member
  • I want all the cars!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 05:59:01 AM »
Strangely I have the biggest smile on my face after watching that commercial  :popcorn

Idk as much as my girlfriend doesn't support my car addiction, she has kind of accepted it. I think when I bought a house with a big garage, and I already had 2 cars when I met her was a good starting indication. As far as parts though, thats another story. I will say im a bit scared that when I'm married and she can see how much i spend on car parts, that wont go over well at all.
She does love my STI and Miata almost as much as I do though  ;D

(She has also fallen in love with the BRZ and wants one for her next car)

95 Miata turbo --- 98 Forester WRX swap

Offline BIG ERV

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 07:16:19 AM »
Edwards has a nice Limited Galaxy Blue one, if she is curious lol.

Offline TheNewGuy_Pete

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
there is a reason i have a Ex wife.. BUAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! no but really i have a ex wife

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 02:29:35 PM »
(She has also fallen in love with the BRZ and wants one for her next car)

We've got an Automatic one in silver here on the showroom.  I think it's the first Automatic BRZ we've gotten.  Still looks like a manual, though.  They were clever how they designed the shifter.

Offline BIG ERV

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
They say the AT is a really good AT.  People are shocked on how well it drives.

Offline Lesac

• Elite Member
  • I want all the cars!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 11:24:45 PM »
lol it wont be for a few years when she gets another car, since she just got her accord less than a year ago. Also she mentioned if she gets a sports car it has to be a manual.

95 Miata turbo --- 98 Forester WRX swap

Offline BIG ERV

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 04:49:07 PM »
hey rev, is that Silver AT a Limited?

Offline 7point62fmj

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 07:58:51 AM »
All that to say this;  If your woman can't accept the hobbies you enjoy, then she doesn't accept an important part of who you are and therefore, I would agree with jaz's reaction to his now wife's ultimatum. Think about this, folks.  If you are with someone unaccepting of the responsible time and money put into your hobbies, you might want to rethink that relationship. 

IF an adult male who decides to engage in a marriage or a mutual partnership for the mutually agreed upon goal of creating a strong family wants to participate in hobbies that eats up resources  (ie..Time, money) at the behest of attaining that mutually agreed upon goal, then maybe he should rethink if he should get married in the first place. That would be the more responsible thing to do. No accomplishment at work (or at the track for that matter) will ever outweigh a failure in the home.
Kind of OT but I am an iron junky in the worst way, anyone who knows me will attest to that. My wife knew it before we married (even though she could care less about it). I knew that in order to be married and be a good patriarch of my family that I would have to lift at home due to the time constraints of juggling the gym and working a 12hr shift type job. So I needed money to buy the squat rack and build a dead lifting platform as well as pay for all the plates and bars so I sold one of my beloved cars to fund the purchase, rather than placing the burden of my hobbies on the family budget. I also knew that I would have to find time to lift so I started waking up at 2am so I could lift without stealing time from my kids and my wife and still make it to work to fulfill my obligations of putting food on the table. It’s not easy but sure the heck  is worth it and I know when my time comes to kick the bucket that when I am gone my kids will smile whenever they hear the clanging of plates or the aroma of rubber and sweat and chalk and maybe miss me a little bit less for that moment when they are in the gym. Rather than question why they were not good enough for me to spend time with them, then some inanimate cold object.
I guess what I am saying is you can have your hobbies but once you get married you must keep your eye on the big picture and make everything else subservient to that goal. The best way you can make your kids and wife to also love and enjoy your hobbies it to remember that and don’t force them to sacrifice important things for your hobbies.
Or you can just ignore the old cranky guy who lives on a homestead down by the river. Regardless I wish you the best and hope you raise strong men and tough women of virtue…if family is the corner stone of all of society it could use some reinforcement now more then ever.

Soap box rant over.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:05:58 AM by 7point62fmj »
The beauty of  all wheel drive! NOW !milk powered
Screw Boost!!
Got Milk???
04 wrx cobb II (my wifes battering ram-2 deer and one ladder) 
82 lifted brat
87 lifted gl

Offline TheNewGuy_Pete

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »
well that escalated quickly... lol   :Bfinoch

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
hey rev, is that Silver AT a Limited?

Sure is!  The only driving I've done with it is from our Detail Bay to the Showroom floor... under 15 mph.  Can't say if it felt good under those conditions, but I have heard good things about the AT for the BRZ.

Offline BIG ERV

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
yeah the guy I work with that wants a BRZ wants it in AT.  He does not want to learn MT in the BRZ, although I told him it is the easiest MT I have ever driven.  But he is leaning towards a Black BRZ now haha.  I may just drag him up there to see Silver.  It is a great color for the BRZ

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »

IF an adult male who decides to engage in a marriage or a mutual partnership for the mutually agreed upon goal of creating a strong family wants to participate in hobbies that eats up resources  (ie..Time, money) at the behest of attaining that mutually agreed upon goal, then maybe he should rethink if he should get married in the first place. That would be the more responsible thing to do. No accomplishment at work (or at the track for that matter) will ever outweigh a failure in the home.
Kind of OT but I am an iron junky in the worst way, anyone who knows me will attest to that. My wife knew it before we married (even though she could care less about it). I knew that in order to be married and be a good patriarch of my family that I would have to lift at home due to the time constraints of juggling the gym and working a 12hr shift type job. So I needed money to buy the squat rack and build a dead lifting platform as well as pay for all the plates and bars so I sold one of my beloved cars to fund the purchase, rather than placing the burden of my hobbies on the family budget. I also knew that I would have to find time to lift so I started waking up at 2am so I could lift without stealing time from my kids and my wife and still make it to work to fulfill my obligations of putting food on the table. It’s not easy but sure the heck  is worth it and I know when my time comes to kick the bucket that when I am gone my kids will smile whenever they hear the clanging of plates or the aroma of rubber and sweat and chalk and maybe miss me a little bit less for that moment when they are in the gym. Rather than question why they were not good enough for me to spend time with them, then some inanimate cold object.
I guess what I am saying is you can have your hobbies but once you get married you must keep your eye on the big picture and make everything else subservient to that goal. The best way you can make your kids and wife to also love and enjoy your hobbies it to remember that and don’t force them to sacrifice important things for your hobbies.
Or you can just ignore the old cranky guy who lives on a homestead down by the river. Regardless I wish you the best and hope you raise strong men and tough women of virtue…if family is the corner stone of all of society it could use some reinforcement now more then ever.

Soap box rant over.

I don't know if that was directed at me because you took issue with what I said or you were just adding to it.  Nevertheless, to clarify, your soap box rant could be summarized with one word from my post you quoted which was italicized.  Responsible.  Obviously, I don't disagree with one thing you said.   

Now, do you know where the weight room is? I'll check it out.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:35:04 PM by joeleodee »

Offline 7point62fmj

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »
orginaly I scanned it to fast and did not do my due diligence in seeing your point. After re reading your point I will say I am adding on to it.. a loong add. ;D
The beauty of  all wheel drive! NOW !milk powered
Screw Boost!!
Got Milk???
04 wrx cobb II (my wifes battering ram-2 deer and one ladder) 
82 lifted brat
87 lifted gl

Offline Double0-12

• Novice
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
I love this commercial.  It always makes me happy.