Author Topic: Should I change the oil or is there some life left in it?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline CornOntheCobb

• 04 WRB STi
Should I change the oil or is there some life left in it?
« on: February 27, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
Shell Rotella T6 5W40, it's been in there for about 4 months but only about 2000 miles on it since I don't drive it a whole lot. Normally I'd say it's been in there for 4 months?!? Time for a change! but I thought I'd get some opinions here first.

It's hard to tell just by looking at it, I mean it looks like oil... that's been used... :dontknow:

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
Re: Should I change the oil or is there some life left in it?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
It really depends on the driving.  If you've had a lot of short trips in the cold, moisture will be your enemy.

I change my oil about once a year, which is about 3k miles or less and only warm weather.  Shell Rotella T6, being a diesel oil, has a lot of detergents. 

With that said, you're more than likely fine to go another 1k+ miles anyway.  If you really want to find out how your oil is doing, have it tested.

Offline CornOntheCobb

• 04 WRB STi
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »
They've been short trips over the cold winter, just 15-minute drives to work and back mostly and I rarely go above 4000 RPMs. I guess I'm more concerned about the period of time it's been in the engine rather than the mileage cause obviously 2000 miles is nothing.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
Time?  I change the oil like once a year.  Been doing that in my SHO for a long time and it is a very healthy motor. 

Where time will be a major concern is when you add lots of short trips and down go on a longer drive to burn off all the moisture every now and again.

Offline CornOntheCobb

• 04 WRB STi
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
Gotcha, I'll probably put at least another 500 miles on it then.

Offline SubiPerformance

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
Hey, I know this hasn't been posted in a while. However I felt as I should make a quick reply....

Typically, we like to do oil changes at 3k or twice yearly in turbo vehicle's. Due to heat of the turbo. I just did an oil change on a 2014 wrx with 7500 miles on there 0w20 and it was very very dark. Due to the climate we live in here in Nebraska 3,000 mile intervals for the turbo models and 5-6000 for n/a model's is where we mark the maintenance sticker. Subaru of America actually shortened there intervals in there maintenance booklet.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 04:59:29 PM »
"Dark" means nothing.  The ONLY real way to tell if the life has any usable life left is to have it sampled.  Do that a few times and you'll get a good idea of how long you can go between oil changes, otherwise it is just speculation. 

Offline Xafen

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 05:34:26 PM »
Used oil analysis from Blackstone, yep.

Offline SubiPerformance

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 11:28:23 AM »
Without testing it you are very correct. There are many factor's that will give you the "miles life of the oil". The type of driving, climate of the driving, and the type of oil. IF you are using cheap oil that has the bare minimum detergents and additive's needed by the government vs another oil company who use's better/more detergents and additive's than the competition your going to be able to put more miles on the vehicle without the oil breaking down.

I actually just looked today the new 15' wrx and sti subaru recommends 0w20 synthetic blend and the maintenance to be set at 6k mile's in what I would consider to be "perfect condition's and not in a extreme weather climate such as Nebraska is.

This is why we do the 3k for turbo model's which is probably very safe along with 6k for n/a model's using synthetic oil.

Just remember to check your oil level frequently. Subaru is allowing 1 quart of oil every few thousand mile's to pass an oil consumption test.

Offline Xafen

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
1qt/1200 miles on the Fx20 engines  before they'll say there's something wrong =/

It's quite the topic on the NASIOC forums.