Author Topic: Fully Disabled Traction Control?  (Read 2581 times)

Online Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Fully Disabled Traction Control?
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »
So if there's one thing I've noticed whipping my car around in the snow this winter it's that the toggle button for "Traction Control" doesn't fully turn off Traction Control.  It kicks back in RIGHT when things are about to get fun.  Is there a way to have this function completely disabled by pressing that button?

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Fully Disabled Traction Control?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »
Might be easier to pull a fuse if there's one dedicated to that function.

Offline julozas

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »
I'd say pulling the fuse if there's one would be the easiest and quickest way.
Lincoln Meet

05 sti, lots o' mods.!

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »
Did you hold it? I know on STIs if you click it once it goes to green then if you hold it for 3 secs it goes to yellow. (colors might be the other way around)
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Online Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »
Fuse sounds like a good idea, though I'd prefer to have it be controlled from the button itself instead of pulling it every time I want "FUN" engaged.  I haven't tried holding the button in, though.  When I press to turn it "OFF", a yellow light that has the Car with the Tire Marks behind it comes up on the dash in Yellow/Orange.  It says "OFF" on the light.  I haven't tried pressing and holding it to FULLY disengage it though... but from what I've read, it doesn't work like that on these Imprezas.

Offline julozas

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:53:36 AM »
If you took out the fuse, you could just leave it out(forever) lol
Lincoln Meet

05 sti, lots o' mods.!

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »
This:
If you took out the fuse, you could just leave it out(forever) lol

You could also wire a switch really quite easily (to kill power as the fuse pull would). 

Presumably, if this switch isn't super fancy with multiple functions, we're talking 2 wires...  plus, mysterious unlabeled switches on your dash equal extra cool points:

Offline WheelGap

My Rally-America Evo gets its prep on at Russ's Garage!

@SPEvo112 | spevo112.tumblr.com

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
Good info from Tony ftw. 

Modern nanny state electronics ftl.

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
RTFM for the win.

-zek
you really should. it sounds better than two V8s having sex with a blowoff valve while a v12 tapes the whole thing.

Offline Xafen

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
There's a big topic on this on the national forums.  Basically, no, there is no way to fully turn it off.  If you pull the fuse you lose a LOT.

Online Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:20:11 PM »
I see... so even if I disable VDC, "components of the brake control system may still activate. When the brake control system is activated, the Vehicle Dynamics Control operation indicator light flashes."

I was going to check there next, Xafen.  Have they found a way around it?  Some kind of mod to disable it without killing the car?

Offline Xafen

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »

Online Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »
LOL, it takes an army... but apparently it still isn't enough.

Oh well!  We'll figure something out someday!  By then, I'll have a turbo in it.  :P

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
I'm shocked that the 'current' generation WRX still allowed 'all off' traction control. Not that I mind.  ;)

I've always had a pet theory that it might be the last WRX model without a whole bunch of nannies...that don't turn off.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
I'm shocked that the 'current' generation WRX still allowed 'all off' traction control. Not that I mind.  ;)

I've always had a pet theory that it might be the last WRX model without a whole bunch of nannies...that don't turn off.

I'm not so sure it is fully off. I've noticed a few times that even with it turned off, it still feels like something is holding me back some. I'm thinking pulling the ABS fuse will likely do the trick for anything else that may remain.

Offline mjorgensen

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 10:44:44 AM »
Mine does to Jon, if I'm past 45 degrees of yaw fully off it comes on for sure although I can still spin all 4 tires so just yaw control activates.

I'm not so sure it is fully off. I've noticed a few times that even with it turned off, it still feels like something is holding me back some. I'm thinking pulling the ABS fuse will likely do the trick for anything else that may remain.
Mark Jorgensen[/size][/font]
11' SWP STi[/font]

mjorgensen@woodhouse.com
mjorgensen99@msn.com

Offline Sundawg

• Picture Gallery
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
I know on the BRZ, there is an unpublished procedure involving the handbrake to fully disable traction control VDC.  The Impreza might have similar.  I'd have to check the FT-86 board for it.  The only thing the button doesn't turn off for me, though is some variable assist feature in the brakes that can interfere with some track applications.
2013 SWP BRZ
2011 Outback 3.6R