Author Topic: 2011+ Fog light conversion  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Arani Rey

2011+ Fog light conversion
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
First off, I just had this idea while I was sitting in class so please let me apologize in advanced for this high quality Photoshop...

Anyway, I had 'an' thought months ago of finding fog light covers for my WRX like you would see on the Bug or Blob-eye era cars. After not seeing anything aftermarket I let it go, but tonight I had a different idea to retrofit a much larger light in to the huge area we have on our cars for fogs. So what if a crazy person, i.e. me, made a set of fiberglass housings to fit a bug-eye fog or a 6" Hella driving light? I really want to hear thoughts on how it would look, but I might end up doing it for fun anyway just to see how it comes out.

Ignore the STI mesh covers, it was the best angle I could find in 30 seconds on google.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:10:36 AM by Arani Rey »

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: 2011+ Fog light conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
Not only would that be cool if you could create that, but I bet if you found a way to make more of 'em, you'd make a killing.  I always prefer beefier foglights on a WRX.  It just seems... RIGHT, you know?

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »
Not only would that be cool if you could create that, but I bet if you found a way to make more of 'em, you'd make a killing.  I always prefer beefier foglights on a WRX.  It just seems... RIGHT, you know?

I hadn't thought about that, but its a good idea. I know what you mean with the fogs, honestly these 2013 ones remind me of the little air holes on an Evo IX.

I'll see about making a cardboard mock up of one side tomorrow just to see if its practical. I've never done a duplicate of something I made of fiberglass, but a friend of mine makes resin molds so I probably could.

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »
aaaand I already found a problem. Check out whats behind door #1.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Doesn't look like an electrical problem. 

Next step: apply hammer.

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:31:37 AM »
Doesn't look like an electrical problem. 

Next step: apply hammer. Start cutting

Fixed.  ;D
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »
Well duh, I owned a Chevy once so the only tools I have are a hammer and vice grips.

This will delay me a bit though because I didn't think I would have to hack my bumper to do it. That piece in there holds fog light mounting bracket. I'm going to try and come up with a design though and maybe work up the confidence to cut mine haha. Looks like I might need to get the non-fog blanks and then build a box on to the back of it.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:54:09 AM »
Yeah, any way in which you can integrate something that would clip in or at least have some locating hardware is going to be ideal.

Especially if you do really intend to fabricate something en masse.  Will be following this with interest!

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 12:53:37 PM »
More power to the DIYers.
I love it keep us updated.

-zek
you really should. it sounds better than two V8s having sex with a blowoff valve while a v12 tapes the whole thing.

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »
So right now I'm looking for a cheap set of the head light covers or blanks that fit my body style. Going to attach a solid box to the back to position and mount the light. Then cut the cover and make a nice fiberglass surround with an OE look. Thinking about using a rounded square piece for the box. Like a plastic fence post or something along those lines.

If I get that built I'll pull off my bumper and see if theres a way to remove the current light bracket without butchering the poor thing.

Offline Kenny McKee

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 01:03:37 PM »
If I were you, I'd buy a second bumper cover.

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
If I were you, I'd buy a second bumper cover.

Yeah that is now the plan I think. They surprisingly not that expensive. Was going to wait and watch for a WRB bumper cover to go up for sale. Maybe it will even include the fog covers.

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
That is, at least, if I want to fogs to be recessed in the bumper. I could build the housing outwards too and leave the bumper cover intact.

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
Looks like too much work to me.  Bumper covers are cheap, just not cheap to paint.   I like your idea, just unfortunately most DIY jobs look like DIY jobs. Good Idea though.  Theres not much aftermarket wise offered to spruce up our stock front bumper.  Chargespeed makes some good stuff, I have their grill on my 08Sti.  They are not cheap though.  My grill cost more then a painted bumper cover, lol.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:27:56 AM »
Well duh, I owned a Chevy once so the only tools I have are a hammer and vice grips.

Very cool idea. I also hope you don't mind me stealing this for my signature.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline christian

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »
I like where this is going. I was going to get some OEM fog lights but will put those further back in my list in hopes of you pulling this off. Good luck! Keep at it

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »
I like where this is going. I was going to get some OEM fog lights but will put those further back in my list in hopes of you pulling this off. Good luck! Keep at it

I haven't touched this lately because I really need a spare bumper with headlight covers... working on a winter light bar/ice guard now.

Offline Topaz05

• Novice
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 11:36:24 PM »
Got any updates with this?
I'm planning to purchase a Hella fog light that I saw at 4WheelOnline catalog and I came upon this thread.

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 03:57:07 AM »
Nah, never saw it through because I'd need another complete painted bumper and it wasn't worth the cost. I ended up picking up some fog light covers instead and going with those for more of a GD STi or sleek look.

DSC_0067 by Alex, on Flickr