Author Topic: I'd like a tune, please  (Read 1821 times)

Offline backpackadam

I'd like a tune, please
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
I'd like to get a new tune.  Maybe it will help determine why sometimes shifting into second makes my engine a little crazy and why sometimes when I am shifting out of gear, my revs go up even though I'm not on the throttle.

When can someone fit me in?

Offline MasterForce

Re: I'd like a tune, please
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:59:06 AM »
I'd like to get a new tune.  Maybe it will help determine why sometimes shifting into second makes my engine a little crazy and why sometimes when I am shifting out of gear, my revs go up even though I'm not on the throttle.

When can someone fit me in?

Drive by wire from what i have read does this.

Having a lighter flywheel helps rev hangs.
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:09 AM »
Yeah the electronic linkage to the throttle is just a teeny bit slow so when you let off quickly and shift the engine runs on. It drove me totally crazy for a few months, but I have gotten used to it by either slowing down that shift or by not letting completely off the pedal to ease the drop into the next gear.

Offline backpackadam

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »
I've heard that the lightened flywheel will cause this, and I happen to have one of those.

But still, I need a tune.  I've not had one in a while (2 years or so) and things have changed (even slightly) since then.

Offline MasterForce

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »
I've heard that the lightened flywheel will cause this, and I happen to have one of those.

But still, I need a tune.  I've not had one in a while (2 years or so) and things have changed (even slightly) since then.

Shouldnt really happen because a lighter flywheel slows down faster when it gets disconnected. Heavy flywheels have rev hang because well they dont slow down easily. DBW doesnt help either because the lag the system creates when you let go of the throttle. But anyways you have Accessport or are you open source? Obvious choices you will get are Kansas City or Chicago. Im pretty sure no one does AP tuning locally.
-'11 SWP STi Sedan *COBB SF Intake + Box *Invidia Catless DP *Invidia Dual Ti Q300
*SLOWtuned @ 213 AWHP - 93 FT-LB @ 20 PSI

-'11 Kawasaki Lime Green ZX-6R *M4 GP Slip-on

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
Each AP comes with the ability to download ATR, which is very similar to OS.

Offline backpackadam

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 05:47:16 AM »
I had an e-Tune done and then Tank did one when I first got the car in October of 2010.

I'd like someone to do it locally if possible.

Offline StiCam

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 06:43:45 AM »
I had an e-Tune done and then Tank did one when I first got the car in October of 2010.

I'd like someone to do it locally if possible.
Talk to Jaz  :discomonkey

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »
It's built in rev matching ;) Like on the Z cars...
Seriously though getting a checkup on your tune will help.
Do you have a wideband?

Offline backpackadam

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »
I've tried to send a personal message to Jaz but that didn't work. 

And I don't have a wide band.  There is some goofy thing under my passenger floor mat but I'm not smart enough to know what it is.

Offline NEBEEF88

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
Yeah man, I tried sending him a personal message as well, it said that my message was blocked. Looks like I should've stayed in SoCal, getting a tune out there was as easy as getting a tire change...

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »
My PM's have been turned off for about a year because they filled up too quickly.  There are E-tune options if you need a tune now.  I do this on my free time currently, so I can't be thought of as a one-man shop.  In addition, without a dyno, the current weather is not conducive to road tuning.

EDIT:  With that said, I do try to do as many cars as I can, however, more goes into a tune than flashing a couple maps and making a few pulls.  From the very beginning, I have implemented a checklist that must be completed before I will even touch a car as most (yes most) car have some sort of issue, even if it's only a boost leak or a few.  I have been getting great support from Russ' Garage in completing these and we are on the same page with what needs to be completed.  Maybe, at some point, I can look to do this on a more permanent/full-time basis, but a few things would have to fall in place and solely tuning via "road tuning" is not the best way to go about it (however, should be followed up with checking the tune in the real-world by taking it on the road).

Currently, the demand is far more than I can accomplish in doing this via free time.  You have to remember, I've got a few cars of my own that I'm constantly messing with. In the past couple years, my cars have been set on the back-burner and that's not how I want it because I enjoy playing with them and is the entire reason I got started doing this. 

So...  Hopefully, all the issues slowing me down will be mitigated, but I'm patiently waiting as many of you are.  Please bear with me.

backpackadam - I will not tune without a wideband.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:31:00 PM by jaz »

Offline backpackadam

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 06:54:59 AM »
I kind of figured that was what happened with the DM's.  I'm in no real rush to get one done since my car doesn't have any major issues, but I think after two years it is time get a new one.

If we can schedule a time for some time down the road (June/July?), I can get a wideband by then. 

EDIT - I have a wideband A/F sensor on the downpipe and it's all wired up for the TurboXS wideband I have in a box.  There is a fuse burned out on the TurboXS tune unit that needs to be replaced.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:20:02 AM by backpackadam »

Offline milesej05

• Currently: Subieless :(
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
Just saw the picture put up on the Explicit Reviews page and that makes me want to get a tune (locally) as soon as possible.  As did I try to send Jaz a personal message and was denied.  Guess I need to get a Wideband sooner than I thought. 

Offline Kenny McKee

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
Just saw the picture put up on the Explicit Reviews page and that makes me want to get a tune (locally) as soon as possible.  As did I try to send Jaz a personal message and was denied.  Guess I need to get a Wideband sooner than I thought.

A wideband should be one of your first mods. It's a supporting mod for "Stage 2" if you will.