Author Topic: Coilover choices.  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Lesac

• Elite Member
  • I want all the cars!
Coilover choices.
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:11:20 AM »
Well im looking at upgrading the suspension on my STi. Right now im monster trucking just a bit too much and am looking for an all around improvement. Ride quality, steering response, aesthetics, etc... Ive had a few different cheap coil kits on a few previous cars and id like to stay away from them without breaking the bank. also it just doesnt make sense to me to spend $500 on suspension for a $20k+ car. (partially why i never understand half of what people cheap out on on their cars) Anyway im looking at the Feal 441and the Fortune Auto 500s Id really like to stay at the $1000 mark since money is super tight right now, and im just trying to pick a setup then budget it in for the future. But, does anyone have any experience with any of this? better yet have a car I could ride in? I know im gonna go over my budget with either of these, but I'd like to stay closer to the 1k mark than the 2k.

95 Miata turbo --- 98 Forester WRX swap

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
Re: Coilover choices.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
I love my Stance GR+ coils.  They were around 1200-1400 when I got them.   The handle great and the ride quality is awesome.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »
With respect to the two you mentioned: I know Feal has a very good reputation (I was looking at them for the Legacy), and Fortune Auto got decent reviews when compared with similarly priced setups like Stance and Megan.

Offline Kenny McKee

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »
I do not recommend TEINs. They are miserable.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
I like KWv1's for a street car, although they may be more than you want to spend.  I bought mine a couple years ago for under $1,400 shipped, but I think the last set Ross picked up was about $1,500 shipped this past winter.  They're firm, but forgiving and the warranty has come in handy.  Last year, they sent me a brand new set after having some issues with my first set. 

Offline csmiller18

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »
When I started looking, a few guys recommended BC Racing BR Coilovers. I know they are $995 atm.

*This will probably be my next upgrade as well. However, I have quite a bit of rear glass creaking and want to address that before I stiffen up the suspension and perpetuate the problem. 
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »
Interesting. I've only seen vendors recommend BCs. I have no personal experience, but in my reading most driving enthusiasts (vs. Stance Nation) claim that you'd be better stock than on a cheap coil over set like BCs. Let us know how you like them when you get them.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline csmiller18

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »
All I said was a few guys recommended those. I never did any research or read for myself, just throwing out another option and glad to hear feedback, positive or negative about that option. I also have no personal opinion, due to no research or riding in a car with BCs.

Well im looking at upgrading the suspension on my STi. Right now im monster trucking...  Id really like to stay at the $1000 mark since money is super tight right now, and im just trying to pick a setup then budget it in for the future. But, does anyone have any experience with any of this? better yet have a car I could ride in? I know im gonna go over my budget with either of these, but I'd like to stay closer to the 1k mark than the 2k.

I only threw the option out there because I have heard them being decent at the 1k price range and they had not be mentioned. FWIW

"This will probably be my next upgrade as well" was only referring to coilovers, as I have not done any brand specific research.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:02:13 PM by csmiller18 »
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »
I've had BCs, there is a good thread on nasioc discussing them that I contributed on.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Offline sjw

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
I have BCs on my Solstice and have been very happy with them. About a week ago one of the rears blew a seal and was leaking fluid. They are long out of warranty but I can order a new replacement body from BC for $95 (that will get done this week)

Mt STI had lowering springs and Koni inserts in WRX strut bodies. Worked very well for a mostly street driven car with the occasional auto-x, track day, road rally.

Offline OBP WRX

• bought it for the burble
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »
I had BC's on my neon.  When set to soft, they are super bouncy...when set firm, they are hard and you skip.  I would recommend going up a little higher.  Suspension Techniques is made by KW so I think they would be a good choice.
http://turninconcepts.com/index.php?cPath=1_9_7_480_490_509_1572

I actually like the stock suspension on my WRX...but I am old and on all seasons.
Jerome

'05 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX

Offline RedOxRu

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »
Here's the deal with BCs. They've got a few very clear pros and cons, IMHO. After spending the summer driving on them and doing plenty of research on them...here's what I think.

Pros:
They are cheap
They come up used quite often
Parts are cheap
They can lower your car
They are adjustable
Supposedly they do a 'lot' for 1k worth of coilovers. Having not had many (any) cheap coils, I can't tell you for sure.
There are plenty of people who love them on the national boards

Cons:
They are cheap
The parts are cheap
There are plenty of people who hate them on the national boards.
They don't have a lot of travel
The adjust-ability isn't the most linear

So. In the end, it would seem like you get what you pay for with them. If I wasn't looking to spend a ton more money on some coils, I'd be rocking them next summer.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:03:07 PM by RedOxRu »