Author Topic: accessports  (Read 932 times)

Offline 2007wrx_819

accessports
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
I'm new into the car world, decided to get a fun sporty car that I can drive year round in Nebraska,  obviously the choice was my 2007 wrx tr. I bought it from a dealership, and I know it has a 4in cat-back exhaust, aftermarket blow off valve, and I'm pretty sure that's it. Seems its running really rich in the air/fuel ratio aspect. I smell fuel sometimes and there's no leaks I'm aware of. I need a tune and was reading up on the COBB accessports, and if I get some opinions on if its worth it or not, and have some discussions on these awesome cars that'd be great!

Offline Kenny McKee

Re: accessports
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:46:46 PM »
Is the AP worth it? Yes.
Why are you running rich? The aftermarket blowoff valve.
Our cars are run on MAFs from the factory, Aftermarket BOVs dump metered air that the car thinks is still in the system and it overcompensated for the actual air in the system causing a rich condition.

Essentially, you're pump faking a tennis ball throw to a dog.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:39:08 AM »
Unless the BOV is leaking, it will only yield rich results when it's actually venting air.  With that said, in between shifts and in gear while lifting off the throttle after spooling the turbo will be where it affects AFR.  It's very likely to have after-fire in these instances. 

As far as a Cobb APv2, the maps are generic and can be used with decent results if you follow the map notes.  Anything outside of those notes will likely throw it off.  OTS tunes from Cobb generally run rich and for the most part are safe.  Once you have an APv2, you can tune, or be tuned with AccessTuner Race/Pro.  This will allow custom maps to be made for your car (store multiple maps on AP) and the device itself will allow very minor changes, but will allow data logging.

Where is it running rich?  Idle?  Cruise?  Higher load with part throttle?  WOT?  Before addressing the tune, I would do an actual boost leak check by pressurizing the intake tract and search for leaks via sound and soapy water/Windex.  Other good things to do/try is to clean the MAF and replace (or log to monitor performance) the front O2 sensor.  It'd be a good time to verify everything that's been done to the car and how well or bad it has been implemented.

In short, the APv2 is an excellent device, but do not expect to have the problem fixed with an OTS map.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:42:49 AM by jaz »

Offline fishbone

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:01:58 AM »
Jaz, I can't send you an IM so I wanted to say thank you here for your feedback in that one tuning thread from a while back, that fairly controversial one ;) I've been meaning to say it for a while now. OP, the AP is well worth it, however if you already have a decent laptop you could always go open source and not spend another $500 bucks. The AP does make datalogging a lot easier though.

Offline Kenny McKee

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »
jaz is correct, thank you for clarifying.

Also, how are you gauging you're running rich? Just by the smell? If you're running a full catless Turbo Back, you're going to smell fuel occasionally. Get a wideband and log it, it won't only tell you whether or not you're running rich, but it's essential for tuners to help you fix your car if it is.

As for Opensource vs. Accessport,  OS doesn't even require a decent computer, you just need Windows XP and preferably 2 USB ports. If you have even a smidgen of an idea of what you're doing, OS is a great alternative to AP. But the AP also comes with several great features that if you know what you're doing, it makes it that much better. Either way you'll win, neither or detrimentally worse than the other, but if you have the cash, AP all the way.