Author Topic: Coilovers or Springs?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline JayDeeEmma

• Novice
Coilovers or Springs?
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
Was wondering on everyones opinions of going with Springs rather than Coilovers? And what springs would you go with?

I want moar low on my BRZ now, rather than waiting until next spring for coilovers I was debating on going with a set of Eibach springs or Tein S-Tech springs and then later on down the road like a year or so throw down the money for a set of really nice coilovers?

I had Tein S-Tech springs on my last car and they were decent enough. I had no complaints with the change in handling or anything, however the BRZ is a whole other animal in my opinion than my last car.

I am open to suggestions!

I hope this wasn't too much of a n00b post :)

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Coilovers or Springs?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »
To me it kinda boils down to two big questions: budget and use. 
How much are you looking to spend and what is the intended purpose of the car (mainly DD or will it see track use)?

Offline JayDeeEmma

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
It is my DD. It is probably going to see the track minimal times. I was looking at around 250 for springs. The tein s techs are 180 and the eibachs are about 280ish. As far as what I was looking at for coilovers I was looking about 850-1,000.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
I think the intended use of the car is key. If you're just wanting height and nothing more, then lowering springs and perhaps upgraded dampers is more than enough. Coil overs are awesome, but I can't say Id' recommend them to most people if they are only using their car as a DD.

I also am of the mindset of spend the money once. Unless you can find a smoking deal on some used springs, I don't see the point if your end goal is something better. Save the money, do it right, do it once.

You're wasting money if you're spending 850-1000 on coilovers. They will be junk, likely won't last long and will probably ride like poo. I'm sorry, but that is a bad idea. Just do the Eibachs and call it good.

Offline Kenny McKee

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:20:02 AM »
I think the intended use of the car is key. If you're just wanting height and nothing more, then lowering springs and perhaps upgraded dampers is more than enough. Coil overs are awesome, but I can't say Id' recommend them to most people if they are only using their car as a DD.

I also am of the mindset of spend the money once. Unless you can find a smoking deal on some used springs, I don't see the point if your end goal is something better. Save the money, do it right, do it once.

You're wasting money if you're spending 850-1000 on coilovers. They will be junk, likely won't last long and will probably ride like poo. I'm sorry, but that is a bad idea. Just do the Eibachs and call it good.

1 word. Racelands.

I'd recommend lowering springs and struts. Never ever run lowering springs without proper struts. It's not too dangerous to do it, but you're just giong to spend more money in the long run if you use stock struts on lowering springs. Most people who have coilovers on the street don't even use them to their potential (I'm one of them, but my car came with them). The best part about coilovers is their flexibility, you can set them up right easily for track use. If you're not going to be at the track often, just go springs/struts.