Author Topic: A REAl RG review #2  (Read 3969 times)

Offline burninbridges

A REAl RG review #2
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »
Since you guys decided to delete my first one, here it is again.

First off I would like to say that I hope this review doesnít get deleted because of what Iím about to say. Nothing of which Iím about to say will break the forum rules and is not being used in a false, defamatory, inaccurate, or abusive manner. This is just a straight forward review containing my experiences and my opinion about the quality of service that was provided to me by RG.

Secondly, this is my first post in this forum and I feel compelled to write a REAL review about RG without any puffery such as how friendly they are or how they came through in a pinch, mostly because a lot of my problems were more than likely caused by RG.

So here is the back story, I purchased an 07 STI in May of 2012 with 43k miles on it, it had a few mods on it such as exhaust, BOV, and intake, the usual stuff. The car was extremely well taken care of. Anyway, I bought the car out of state and drove it home with zero problems and wanted to get a professional opinion from RG about its mods, its overall shape etc. Russ did a quick look over and his opinion was similar to mine and that it was in pristine shape but it needed a tune, a wideband, and a boost gauge. He suggested I take it to Tank for a tune because Tank is the number one tuner that RG sends their customers to. Long story short, within an hour or so into the tune Tank managed to blow my turbo and left me in a parking lot somewhere in Bellevue by myself waiting for a tow truck as he got picked up by his buddy and drove away.

So I have my car towed to RG and I get my turbo rebuilt and reinstalled, which this all took about a month. The first time I drive it to work I noticed that oil is everywhere under my hood and underneath the car, turns out the oil line to my new turbo was only hand tight. So I got that tightened down and thought all was good again. About a week later I noticed some smoke coming out of the exhaust so I take it back to RG and I am told that itís just fuel and Iím running too rich and that Tank can ďtune that outĒ.  I had a second opinion about the smoke issue and was told it is definitely oil. Back to RG for a leak down test (which he didnít charge me for) where I found out I had some bad pistons. Seems that on top of blowing my turbo Tank decided to go ahead and break 3 ringlands for me. Even after all that they still wanted me to go to Tank for a tune. Anyway, RG rebuilds my motor and put some new stock replacement pistons in with all new gaskets, oil pick up, seals, etc. I got it back with an oil leak and a CEL indicating a bad o2 sensor, which they charged me for a new one.  The car went back to RG 4 times to fix the oil leak in which I was assured it was fixed every time only to have oil stains in my garage the next day. The last time I went to pick up my car for the oil leak I showed Emjay that there is oil stains under the car, which she again assured me that the leak was fixed and it was just residual oil coming off the bottom of the car. The car leaks oil to this day and it will not be returned to RG for any type of maintenance or repairs.

Among the many times my car was at RG I had it returned every time with a new problem, some of those problems include a loose oil line to my turbo, bad o2 sensor (which was fine when I dropped it off), an oil leak on a new motor rebuild, a scratch, and a wideband that cuts in and out that they installed. Those are just some examples. I guess I am partly to blame because I was fooled by their friendliness and I kept returning to them because they seemed to know what they were doing/talking about.  It took me nearly a year and thousands of dollars to figure out that I would not be returning to RG for anymore work or advice about my car.

In the midst of all this I also realized I did not want Tank ever touching my car again, contrary on what I was being told by RG that Tank is a Subaru genius.  So I started looking for other tuners and I was referred to Jaz by someone who works at Stan Olsen.  The best decision I ever made was contacting Jaz. After I got my car back with the new pistons I babied it for about 1,200 miles and took it to Jaz to have it tuned.  Jaz was basically unable to tune it due to boost leak issues which I would think should have been tested after having been rebuilt.  Jaz literally spent hours helping me fix issues on my car trying to get it ready to tune. 

All in all I think RG is over their head when I comes to performance vehicles. When I take my car to someone to get work done I expect them to have a certain level of knowledge and experience which RG did not seem to have. when I pay for a repair I want it done right the first time. They mostly seem to have trainees working for them and that is a little unsettling to me.

Also, letís not forget all the drama and broken cars that came from the Tank ordeal and that RG sent everyone to him.  More than likely the same people who are going to jump on here and give great reviews about RG are the same ones who gave all the great reviews about Tank.

I would also think it would be helpful if others posted their experiences in order to help those people in the future who maybe considering where to get work done (other than those moderators and close personal friends to RG).

This information is not to be taken as defamatory or negative, nor is it meant to hurt anyoneís feelings or business. It is merely to be used to help others in the future to make an educated decision while shopping around for quality work on their vehicle.
That about sums it up, hope this helps anyone who may be looking for a shop.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
Re: A REAl RG review #2
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
Why would this get deleted?

Offline burninbridges

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »
I had it under RG's sponsor page with the rest of their "I love RG" reviews and they deleted it within about 45 mins

Offline Kenny McKee

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 01:39:14 PM »
You posted it under their page, they have moderation rights so of course they would delete it, it'd be bad business otherwise.

That being said, I think every day more is coming to light as far as RG goes. Their choice in tuners has been proven TWICE now to be abysmal. I can't speak for their engine building ability, and sure they're nice people, but the more negatives I see, the less credibility they have.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »
Thank you for your review and for following the rules. Since sponsors are moderators in their own forums, the overall site moderators typically don't intervene in those forums. We created this forum to help mitigate the potential conflict of interest in the sponsor forums.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline neurosis05

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »
I've been there a couple of times, they are very nice.  First time was for a timing belt.  I did my research and insisted on Gates.  Emjay talked me out of it and I went with a cheaper brand (can't think of the name now).  I also was due for an oil change, and while I have always done it myself, I figured while they were in there why not have them take care of it.  I insisted on Rotella T6 and Emjay recommend another brand.  This time I stuck to my guns and brought some T6 to their shop. 

Minor stuff, more or less a disagreement on brand parts.  All in all good experience.  I'd probably go back (although I'd like to learn to do my own timing from here on out).  They are quick and reasonably priced.  And they always show me the parts they replaced or what was wrong, so I know they aren't crooks.

Real question is who else is there in Omaha?  I like to do as much myself, unless it's outside of my comfort zone. 

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »
First off I would like to say I am sorry that you have had such a bad experience with them.  I have had lots of work done from them over the years on different cars (from cv shafts, to exhaust, to shortblock replacement, to steering racks, to swaybars, fixing the issues I caused, etc.).  In fact, that is how I became friends with them.  If there ever were any issues, they have always taken care of them with/for me.  I am not typing this to sway your opinion of them and their work, I am truly sorry that you have had this experience with them.  I have been in the opposite boat.
It is important to hear bad experiences in business just as much as good.  That is the beauty of capitalism, it is the choice to do business where you wish.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: A REAL RG review #2
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:48:44 AM »
So is this to say that other reviews have been fake?  I can assure you, my review was based off of personal experiences with them.

There are folks who have had good and bad experiences with cars, dealerships, service shops, tire stores.  As with anything, folks tend to share bad experiences more often to warn others.  However, RG has had more than enough positive reviews already shared and posted here.  That should say something.

Offline burninbridges

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »
Reverend,

Iím sure they can manage to make it through your oil changes without an issue, but honestly Iíve had nothing but problems with the car since they laid hands on it. Not that the other reviews were fake but it just seems that they came from most of their buddies. I donít mean to beat a dead horse but it almost seems like RG is a Tank/Explicit Motorsports situation shaping up.

I know that Iím not the only one who hasnít had a good experience with them but no one else has spoken up about them (which is fine) but I felt obligated to let folks know what they can expect from RG.

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »
There are a lot of us who know what to expect from RG because RG has been in business for 10 years. If you believe the multitude of positive reviews on here were put up by "buddies" of RG, you would be right because RG makes buddies of their customers. I'd never met Russ before taking my car there for some exhaust work. I have become friends with Russ and EmJay through talking to them while they work on my car. I'm not some buddy they are paying to promote their shop. They won me over as a friend and customer based on their knowledge and quality of work.

They are going to have issues from time to time like any other shop. It is what they do to fix those problems that shows their character.

They obviously have issues with tuners, and perhaps one could question their judgment based on the tuning situation. I'm interested to hear from others with problems and what RG has done, if anything to correct.

I'm not interested in hearing any more accusations of false positive reviews to pump up the shop. Those will stop now.
the bottom line is this, people just need to realize that when they buy cheap CO's [KW on down], they are buying cheap, poorly engineered shocks for the sake of having height adjust-ability. - whitetiger on legacygt.com

Offline 07snowWhite

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 11:05:38 AM »
I'm not interested in hearing any more accusations of false positive reviews to pump up the shop. Those will stop now.

Sounds like this ^^^ is a conflict of interest here. You being a customer "buddy" and a mod saying what can and can't be said about a vendor. Not trying to start an argument just saying....anyhow I do agree it is important to hear bad experiences in business just as much as good.

Offline chrispy0

• Novice
  • 07 STi Corn Fed
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 01:16:49 PM »
alright so i have had similar issues with RG in the past as well.  i had a 2002 WRX catless exhaust BOV and thats it.  i wanted this car to be as fast as it could be with out going to the 2.5L anyways i dumped almost $7K into it when i initially told RG that i had a budget of $5K, and that was for everything gauges labor EVERYTHING to make my car go fast, they started this build in early March of 2012.  My car was not done and out of the shop until late October. It took them almost 2 months just to get my parts in, they said oh they are back-ordered and should be in next week, that is the same thing that i heard from you 2 weeks ago.  They had given me the car to drive several different times and said that it was still not complete, it was running about 7LBS of boost because they could not figure out what was going on with the EWG spring and said that i needed a stronger one. 

The car on cold start was running terrible choking, sputtering and AFR's where off the chart anywhere between 12-18 constantly going up and down.  I called them to let them know of the issue they said it may be because of a fault in the fuel system and they wanted me to know that the guy that did my Fuel pump had been fired because of his lack of correct work, that really made me feel better :-\

So by this time i had made probably 20 trips back and forth to Omaha to have these issues fixed oh and by the way the above was all done on a TEMP TUNE by TANK.  Yes we have not even got into the tuning part yet.

Here comes the kicker.  So i get my car back im all excited to go see what this thing can do, i arrive at the shop look inside the only gauge i see in an AFR guage stuck to the dash with adhesive sticky tape, so i ask them about that.  They tell me that was not figured into the final cost and i would have to pay extra for it, so i go along with it and have them order me gauges and a triple gauge pod.  A couple weeks later i get a phone call saying my parts are in and to bring the car back so they can put them in.  One more trip to Omaha.  I get there give them my car and hang out in the shop because i have no ride anywhere else since i live in Lincoln.  Well after he was done taking smoking breaks and chit chatting on the phone all while charging me by the hour my gauges were installed and then i get my bill...... $749.....yep $749.  There are plenty more things i could add in here but hey im not trying to bash on anyone i just dont want to see anyone get poor service and pay a bunch of money and get screwed in the long run by RG.  I have a post on here about the TUNER that they sent me to it can be found at the following: http://www.nebraska-subaru.com/forum/index.php/topic,15886.0.html
thanks for reading hope this finds you well and useful. :subaru:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:21:50 PM by chrispy0 »

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »
A little more than oil changes these days on my car, though no tuning or "make it go fast" mods on mine.  2 different exhaust setups, suspension, and I've learned a ton about my car.  They took a look at my fiance's car too, so I'll be doing some work on that as well.

Problems arise from time to time, and my theory stands.  Out of one hundred or so good experiences, there's always one bad experience that yells the loudest.  From the looks of it, burningbridges and 07snowwhite joined to simply weigh in on a bad review.  It's good to have perspective, and not everything is rainbows and butterflies, so I'd almost say negative reviews are necessary because I would almost question something that has nothing but stellar reviews.  A little too good to be true, you know?

However, I tend to find more value in a review (good or bad) from someone who's established themselves and contributed to the community here, be it on the forums, in person at meets and events, or the folks I've managed to connect with on Facebook, that I have come to trust and learn so much from. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:15:11 PM by Reverend »

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
Reverend,

Iím sure they can manage to make it through your oil changes without an issue, but honestly Iíve had nothing but problems with the car since they laid hands on it. Not that the other reviews were fake but it just seems that they came from most of their buddies. I donít mean to beat a dead horse but it almost seems like RG is a Tank/Explicit Motorsports situation shaping up.

I would respectfully disagree with this statement.  I've had both the RG and Tank work on my vehicle and I've had opposite experiences.  Granted, I do a lot of my own work, but putting my setup together, it became apparent that fitment was going to be an issue so the RG took care of that and I haven't had any problems with the install over a year and a half later. 

Enough has been said about Tank's tuning abilities so all I will say is that 1 year after the install, my car was still not all the way tuned.   I decided to start working on my own tune and 8 months later it's still not done.  If I could write a negative review about myself, I would.  ;)

Offline julozas

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
I have had lots of work done to my car by RG.

I initially heard of them thru TANK, yes I met tank before RG. I made a mistake listening to my friend from high school who said tank tuned his WRX.

The first time I went to RG was to have an external wastegate installed, a hybrid boost set-up installed and tuned for by tank, as well as have a WBO2 installed. (Yes tank tuned my car w/o a WBO2 the first time). It took quite a bit of time to have them put all this stuff on the car and hook everything up. Finally when tank and I arrived at the tuning location we discovered that the hybrid set up was in fact hooked up wrong. I had now spent all day in Omaha (I'm from Lincoln) and was unable to tune the car. Tank set my boost tables to 0 and told me I was fine to go WOT. I drove around with my car like that for at least 6mo.

The second time I went there I was going to have DW850cc and a Wally 255lph installed. They also adjusted the hybrid set up to work properly. Everything went perfectly fine, I dropped the car off, picked it up a few hours later and had tank meet me at RG to tune for the injectors. Tank was able to get it scaled and running properly(take that with a grain of salt).

The next time I went to RG it was because I was grinding going into 5th gear. We had them rebuild the tranny with all new synchros and a new 5th gear and I think it's hub selector(I forget off the top of my head). They also replaced the clutch while they were at it. They did it while I was on vacation and had it ready to pick up when I returned just like they said they would.(we had ordered the parts before we dropped it off) when I got the car back there were just a few problems like a ground that wasn't completely tightened, it threw a CEL and Russ fixed it up right away.

The last time I went there was for a comp. test and leak down test. I was getting ready to have jaz tune me for E85. It was discovered then that I had low compression in cyl. 1, due possibly to a multitude of contributing factors #1 being tank &#2 being 120000 miles. We had them rebuild the motor w/ cp pistons, reused rods, reused valves(just valve seals we leaking, valves themselves were fine), reused crank, king main and rod bearing, ARP rod bolts and head studs, the heads were decked as well. It took quite a bit of time for them to complete this project but that was because we didnt order and parts untill after the heads were off so we knew what we had to buy new. I am pleased to say that when I arrived to pick up my car it was ready to go. With a quick flash from my AP I had my base tune from jaz and I was off driving (carefully) down the road. I have not had any issues with the rebuilt engine. It runs like a dream.! And I am very happy with the finished product.!

I have always respected Russ and emjay for the knowledge they have of all subarus. It is really fun to go shoot the **** with Russ about different types of engine builds. I have become friends with them because of the quality of service they have provided to me.

I would however recommend that when it comes to tuning, you go with jaz(local) or graham gaylord(Iowa).

Overall I would say that RG provides us a great service and I believe that they do a great job when it comes to fixing subarus. Be it oil changes or an engine build. I have had good experiences with them and they have always been there to help me answer any questions I have.
Lincoln Meet

05 sti, lots o' mods.!

Offline OBP WRX

• bought it for the burble
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »
I got my first Subaru 1 year ago.  I immediately saw all the RG stickers and thought it was some sort of cult! I vowed not to get sucked in.  As I read the forums and talked to people I realized RG wasn't so bad.  Went up there to pick up some stickers (yeah, I am one of those guys) and EmJay sat and shot he **** with me and my daughter for quite some time (she was working on custom decal requests at the time). 
While doing my turbo install, I ran into some issues.  My boost was acting all sorts of funny and I needed a boost leak test, so I went up to RG cuz I don't have the tools and couldn't find anybody else to help me on short notice.  EmJay helped me do a leak down test, and then Russ walked me through the boost leak test.  When I removed my TMIC, Russ noticed one of the inserts on my new GrimmSpeed TMIC had cracked in the middle and started to back the insert out (I was paranoid about the BOV gasket leaking and overtightened the bolts).  I was heading up to MN anyway and figured I would slap it together the best I could and see what the boys at GS could do with it.  Russ wouldn't allow me to half ###  it and also explained to me the value of a good torque wrench.  He ended up putting in new helicoils and then converting it from a bolt set up to a much stronger stud and nut setup!  Russ didn't cut any corners, he is methodic and a perfectionist from what I can see.

I know there is a pro RG camp and an anti RG camp.  I could give 2 shits about the drama (aint nobody got time for that)... Russ and EmJay have earned my trust and my buisness (I do as much as I can myself, but I also know when I don't have the right tools and am in over my head).  I do a bunch or research on products and usually I am always asking questions on FB or other forums and have got a lot of great help from numerous people.  So call me a nutswinger if you want to, I could care less. 

As far as tuners...here is my limited take on it.  I went to MKC for a protune on my stage 2 wrx.  It wasn't worth the money in my mind, but I have little subie experience at the time and even less tuning knowledge.  I left with 232hp and 248 tq.  Over the next several months, I added a perrin turbo inlet, mishimoto y pipe, cobb afta maf, and a GS liteweight pulley.  I did some logs but didn't really know what I was looking at.  Then I added the GS TMIC and did some more logs.  I am not usre if the extra stuff I added was enough to totally dork my protune, but the logs were crap (knocking, DAM = 3).
Then I added my new turbo, injectors, and fresh plugs and got an E-tune from Stephen at IA Performance.  My car had issues and it took awhile, but I am bery happy with my tune.  Would love to get a JAZ tune (get in line, lol) or a dyno tune by AMS or Cobb Plano (save ur pennies).

Jerome :subaru:
Jerome

'05 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX

Offline gritzcolin

• My music review site.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 07:10:19 PM »
I have had nothing but good experiences with Russ, he has been my only mechanic (aside from myself although I use the term mechanic loosely in my case) since he was doing this stuff in his garage at home. Only issues I have ever had were minor and always rectified by Russ with no issues or extra charges. Unlike other garages I have used in the past especially stealerships, Russ has never made me fix things that weren't broken in the first place. That level of honesty is sadly very hard to find in this industry. The problem I think is he has twice expanded in the last few years and with the increase in customers he needs more people working there, it is only natural some people are going to have a bad experience and it sucks that some did.

I can assure you though the people posting positive reviews aren't shilling for RG they are satisfied customers I have met many of them over my 9 years in this community.
2005 Outback XT

Offline rallyfan555

• 2001 2.5rs sedan Black Diamond Pearl
    • MyLifeAtSpeed.com
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »
I have had nothing but good experiences with Russ, he has been my only mechanic (aside from myself although I use the term mechanic loosely in my case) since he was doing this stuff in his garage at home. Only issues I have ever had were minor and always rectified by Russ with no issues or extra charges. Unlike other garages I have used in the past especially stealerships, Russ has never made me fix things that weren't broken in the first place. That level of honesty is sadly very hard to find in this industry. The problem I think is he has twice expanded in the last few years and with the increase in customers he needs more people working there, it is only natural some people are going to have a bad experience and it sucks that some did.

I can assure you though the people posting positive reviews aren't shilling for RG they are satisfied customers I have met many of them over my 9 years in this community.

I second this.  Honesty and always sticking to their word is what I admire about the RG.   Not to mention when I had my 2.5RS in for headgaskets a little over a year ago Russ took the time out to show me how to repair a few things on my own.  I don't know of any other shops that you leave feeling that satisfied with the work done.
*2001 2.5rs sedan Black Diamond Pearl
*2001 Outback H6 LL Bean Edition
*1999 Legacy Outback Black Diamond Pearl- Sold
*2003 WRX sedan World Rally Blue-Sold
*1999 2.5rs coupe Rally Blue Pearl - Sold

Offline csbrat

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
The statement about "stuff happens, it proves the character of the shop how they handle it" is spot on. My EJ25D 5 speed manual has had problems since I bought it 7 months ago. It overheated and left us at the side of the road on both road trips I've taken. It's been to 3 different shops (one was a bandaid fix in Eastern Iowa) in 6 months. 3 weeks after RG replaced the head gaskets the engine over-heated and died. RG not only arranged to have my Outback towed back to Omaha from Colorado Springs, EmJay loaned me her personal Forester (zoom zoom turbo! WHEEEEEEEEEE!) while they find me a new engine. I don't believe they did anything wrong to the engine, but they want to do the autopsy and are looking for a replacement engine for me.
Stuff happens. How they are handling this is, in my opinion, above and beyond what I would ever expect from a shop. I have found them to be honest and up-front with me about everything and I wouldn't take my Subie to anyone else here in town.
'99 Outback Rocky Mountain Edition: Heated mirrors, heated cloth seats and heated windshield wipers. CB, GPS, Dash-cam DVR and a 12 volt coffee maker in the back.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
What caused it to overheat in the first place a few what was the work RG initially performed?

You'd have been much better off having it fixed in Colorado Springs. If they're doing that much work for you and loaning a personal car, free of charge, when does the caution flag go up?

Good luck...

Offline bspec

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
  • S3eIC
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
Why would a company being nice to customers raise a caution flag?

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Re: A REAL RG review #2
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 06:11:55 PM »
They loaned me a personal car because the next day it was supposed to snow.  Easier to work underneath a car when there's not slush/ice/snow dripping down on you.

Got some great advice the last time there was a RG war from a good friend who has more than earned my trust with his level-headed advice and honesty.  He has close friends who have not had good experiences there and he told me what happened.  However, he made it a point to tell me to learn as much as I could from other people, not just one place, to formulate for myself what I consider to be good work.  Essentially he said that if I only watch one person do something and  assume that it's done right, I could be learning something wrong.  Instead, he encouraged me to cross-reference, learn from as many people as possible, and make my decisions based on the information gathered from many, not from one person or one place.

It's something that I strive for now since he told me that.  Getting advice and help from all sorts of folks, from RG, from my dealership, at Subaru Meets in the area, from my fellow friends who own them has helped me quite a bit.  In doing this, and after continuing to work with folks at RG when I need it, my personal opinion of them is the same as it was when I was wide-eyed and new to all of this.

I won't stop trying to learn things on my own, as I find value in doing work myself when I am able to.  But there's still a lot to learn and a lot of tools and resources I don't have access to at home.  Every time I've been to RG, from the first oil change on my '12 Impreza to the recent compression tests two weeks ago on my '00 RS, I'm pleased with the work, with what I learn, and the overall good time I have alongside them as if I were in my own garage with friends working on something.

I'm not saying I know everything, but thus far I can say I enjoy the relationship I have with them and that I will refer people there based off my experiences.  Reading about a negative and positive experiences about places, be it RG, or any other shop or garage or services, is helpful to those who are looking to make an informed decision based off of multiple views.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
Why would a company being nice to customers raise a caution flag?

Why would they feel the need to go that far with a customer when it'll obviously be out of their pocket?

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »
Even Taco Bell will "eat" the cost of something you're not satisfied with.  Not rocket science.  It's good long-term business to make things right, even if it's short-term "bad".

Offline csbrat

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
I bought the car 7 months ago - it went through 3 thermostats in 6 months, and broke down on 2 road trips. That's why RG wanted to do the autopsy - other that the engine is an EJ25D and is prone to overheating problems, they wanted to see what, if anything, they missed.
They replaced the head gaskets, but another mechanic's theory is that there was a blockage in the radiator. If that's the case, then not only did RG miss it, but so 2 other shops. It was at 112,000 so head gaskets seemed like a typical problem.
I understand that some people have their issues with them, but it is my humble opinion that there are people out there that would find a reason to complain if they were given free sex or money. Some people just need to complain.

'99 Outback Rocky Mountain Edition: Heated mirrors, heated cloth seats and heated windshield wipers. CB, GPS, Dash-cam DVR and a 12 volt coffee maker in the back.