Author Topic: Rally/Winter Wheels  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Rally/Winter Wheels
« on: August 16, 2013, 02:21:51 PM »
When I first got my '11 WRX wheels on my '12 Impreza, a lot of things changed.  Right off the bat, I loved the look they gave my car.  Then I came to quickly appreciate the handling change from the added grip from wider tires on 'em.  In general, I got a lot of great comments about 'em.

However, between winter and my occasional jaunt on gravel/dirt roads, I've started to notice paint chips showing up (painted wheels vs powdercoated) and that I got a lot of snow and ice jammed inside my rims that would throw off the balance until I managed to clean them up.  Even the smallest bit of snow or ice in there would make my wheels bounce once I got above 45 mph.

So then I got to thinking, should I invest in a set of winter wheels/something that would be better for gravel-ness?  As colder months approach and my RallyArmor mudflaps beg for playing in the dirt, I find myself leaning towards getting a set of wheels I wouldn't mind beating up... to save my '11 WRX wheels.

I'm still an aesthetics whore, so I'm still picky about how a wheel looks on my car.  Somehow, every time I find a Subaru with this "U" shaped pattern on 'em, I find myself staring.  Turns out, whether it's expensive Enkei EKM3s or a simple '97 Legacy, I'm growing fond of this look on a wheel.

Would something like a set of old stock Legacy wheels (1997-2004 I believe) work well for a winter/gravel set?  I don't want to  deal with ice jams around my brakes, nor do I wish to pamper my painted wheels when I want to go out and have some unbridled fun on back roads.  What say you?

Offline Aggregate

• Novice
Re: Rally/Winter Wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
I used to rallyX with 04fxt wheels (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/attachments/f65/36011d1332094051-04-fxt-factory-wheels-img_1731.jpg)

I would always have to thoroughly clean the built up dirt/mud off the inside of the wheel afterwards. I doubt any wheel will make a big difference on this.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:58:56 PM by Aggregate »

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
FWIW, I love having a dedicated set of snow tires mounted to another set of wheels for an easy changout.

My stockers haven't had a problem with ice buildup at all, but conditions have to be just right for that, I'd think.  My current stock wheels are a simple 5 spoke design. I only remember once that my previous second-gen legacy wheels got jammed up and rode terrible until they were cleaned out.  They looked like this.

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »
I have ran my stock FXT wheels in winter for the last few.  They are similar, but with wider spokes.  They get full of snow when playing in big drifted unplowd'ness, but I dont recall any braking issues.  I dont do the usual...hey lets find some parking lots and do circles....thing however.  I like to hit unplowed country gravel roads more.

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »
my stock 02 wheels clogged up something awful once.

I think it's a good idea if you want to save your pretty ones. choosing one well it will probably come down to personal tastes.
you really should. it sounds better than two V8s having sex with a blowoff valve while a v12 tapes the whole thing.

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
This year im going steelies, they look tough on lifts!

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »
Having a dedicated winter set is really nice.  Cleaning them to avoid re-freezing of ice chunks can be a pain, so a heavily multispoke wheel may prove to be more labor intensive. 

Interestingly the LGT wheels you're looking at are nicknamed "snowflakes".

Offline julozas

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 04:31:38 PM »
I have dedicated my stock 05 sti rims to being winter rims. They always get clogged up really bad, but I just take the time to shove the windshield scraper in there and clean them out.
Lincoln Meet

05 sti, lots o' mods.!

Offline HawkWagon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
As others have noted, any wheel will collect snow under the right conditions; regardless of the "external" spoke design, it's going to come in through the back of the wheel. And Alex is right, the multispoke designs are going to be harder to clean out once the snow has got packed in there. I like the LGT snowflakes as well, but run the split-5-spoke bugeye WRX wheels in the winter partly because the relatively open face makes them easier to keep free of snow and ice. Ultimately, though, it's up to you: if you really like the look, the extra maintenance might be worth it for you.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 01:10:47 PM »
I gotcha.  Thanks for all the tips!  Perhaps falling for a more simple design would be better for snow/gravel then.