Author Topic: Gravel Express! (10-6-13)  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
Gravel Express! (10-6-13)
« on: September 23, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »

Gravel Express!
Sunday, October 6th
2pm Meet (Tentative)

Garage Queens need not apply.  We're taking a fun set of Gravel-paved roads that follow along the eastern bank of the Platte and follow along the southern edge of I-80 in a Rally-style Pace-note-directed cruise! 

We'll meet at Schramm State Park in the Aquarium Parking Lot (north lot), hand out maps/notes, and stagger our departure one car at a time to spread things apart.  You can bring a co-driver along if you wish to help you navigate through the route or just tackle it by yourself.  Once we've gotten everyone through the route, we'll likely go grab some food together somewhere nearby.

Below are links to the Google Map route, as well as a downloadable KML link for Navigation/GPS users.  There's also a link to the Facebook Event that is listed on the Subaru Enthusiasts (Nebraska) page.  If we need to adjust the time so more folks can make it, I'll update the event accordingly, but from what I've seen, this time should work fine with most folks.

Map, KML, Facebook Event

Offline ezekiel

Re: Gravel Express! (10-6-13)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
Sounds a bit fun.

Ruff road doesn't quite cross there though. it's a bit more north but the route is fun.
you really should. it sounds better than two V8s having sex with a blowoff valve while a v12 tapes the whole thing.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
I did a quick run of this route this morning in the RS.  There's been a couple of folks who have suggested having "spotters" to stand on corners to be able to tell folks on the route if the turn is clear or if there's a car coming.  Having a Green/Red flip sign to send a quick visual signal to the driver should work.  Also means we could have someone with a camera around the turns to take some photos as folks pass by.

It seems like a good idea to keep things safe around a couple of those tricky turns.  Has something like this been done before?  Did it work well?  Or, if it hasn't been tried before, does it sound like a good idea?

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »
i like the idea. not sure if this club has done it before but i'm sure someone has.
you really should. it sounds better than two V8s having sex with a blowoff valve while a v12 tapes the whole thing.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »
So I'm thinking that making actual Pace Notes, while cool, probably won't be helpful to many of the folks who will be driving through this route.  On the flip side, I think that having a few spotters camped along the route to keep an eye on a few sharp turns would help keep our drivers, as well as others on the road, safe.

I'll include maps and directions, but I don't think true Pace Notes will be helpful.  Regardless, I'm looking forward to this cruise!