Author Topic: Rocker Panel Collapse  (Read 809 times)

Offline Xafen

Rocker Panel Collapse
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:10:03 PM »
It wasn't really a collapse per se, but...

I was driving along Pacific today, and as I was going along I hear a loud bang, I thought I had hit something, but I looked back and didn't see anything (and I never felt anything with the tires), and after pulling over and inspecting my car, nothing was amiss.

Finally after getting on the ground to look around, I saw a good indentation (perhaps 1/4" deep, area of about 5-6" long by 3-4" wide) in my drivers side rocker panel.  I thought maybe I ran over something, but the dirt wasn't disturbed one bit, and there wasn't a scratch anywhere at all, nothing, just the rocker panel now indented.

Ideas?  This was around 2:30 this afternoon, and I drove straight to a few places that were closed so I couldn't get an opinion anywhere.

Offline omahasubaru

• NSOC President
  • admin
  • Elite Member
    • Nebraska Subaru Owner's Club
Re: Rocker Panel Collapse
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »
You hit something.

Offline Reverend

• Elite Member
  • Higgins Blue
    • All We'll Drive
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
With the junk on the roads, it's likely that whatever hit your rocker panel got re-coated in dirt anyways.  I have a small dent in mine, too (well, before I covered 'em up with the side skirts).

Offline Xafen

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »
Ya I suppose, but I just can't imagine that there wasn't any disturbance to the dirt that was there.  The roads were completely dry at that time, and I pulled over within 30 seconds of hearing the pop.  An object would have had to make 0 movement across the surface other than straight up into the panel.

I am mostly worried about a frame failure of something of the like, you have to look hard to see it, so it won't bother me much, and at least I know for sure when I did this one.  Dings don't really bother me if I know where they came from, and that I did them using the car.

I have another ding on the top of the rocker panel, inside the door seal that I have no clue where it came from, and it REALLY bugs me lol.

I guess for now I'll just go along not worrying about it, if you hear something on the news though about a car buckled in half while driving along!  That's me! =0

Offline Xafen

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »
BTW, thanks for the input.