Author Topic: Clutch time....again.  (Read 995 times)

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Clutch time....again.
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »
Well, my ACT HD clutch can no longer hold the power level I'm running especially in these frigid temperatures. For my setup, check the signature below.

This car for the most part is daily driven and as you can see, 400wtq+ in the cold just slips the clutch loose now even in third.

I need some suggestions as to its replacement. I don't mind the tighter engagement of the ACT I'm currently running since I'm used to it. However, I need something that will hold 500+ crank tq that won't be a bear to live with daily. Am I only dreaming?

Here's some initial possibilities that I'm considering.

-ACT 4 or 6 puck sprung clutch kit
-Clutchmasters FX400 4 or 6 puck clutch kit (thinking the 300-350 might not have the holding strength necessary in the long run.)
-SPEC STG3+ Clutch kit (though mucho $$$$)

Is there any other clutches available for the '05 LGT 5MT that I should be considering? I don't necessarily like my options especially since those 4 and 6 puck style clutches don't have the longevity that I'd like, but I understand I've got to pay to play. Any help is appreciated.

Offline OBP WRX

• bought it for the burble
Re: Clutch time....again.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »
I would give TiC a call, they recommend these.  The new website isn't full up to snuff yet and I am on my phone so research is slow (like my car).  They have 2 or 3 different "stage 2 daily" and I cant see details.  They also have stage 3 daily so they should be able to hook you up with hookin up.

http://www.turninconcepts.com/driveline/southbend-clutch-stage-2-daily-459.html
Jerome

'05 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »
That's a good suggestion.  Thank you.  I will look into that.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 06:56:45 AM »
My FX350 is having zero issues with near 400 ft/lbs wtq. ;)

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:44:46 PM »
I drove Thrilla's subaru a few weeks after he swapped in his south bend dxd clutch. It was a delightful clutch, they make them for you as well.

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/listings.cfm

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »
Kevin, I'm heavily leaving towards the fx350.  I'd like to see how yours feels.  Your clutch, that is. ;)