Author Topic: 05 WRX took a poo poo  (Read 889 times)

Offline OBP WRX

• bought it for the burble
05 WRX took a poo poo
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:15:07 PM »
This happened tonight playing in the snow.

http://youtu.be/zArE9RVGrC0

First thought is to go hybrid.  Want to do this right while being as economical as possible.  Eventual goal will be ~ 400 awhp.  Will keep this tuned in low 300 awhp to preserve transmission until I can afford a trans solution (built 5 speed or 6 speed swap).

I will be researching over the next week or so.  Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jerome

'05 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
Re: 05 WRX took a poo poo
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »
Doing a few too many donuts eh?

Offline OBP WRX

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »
Yep.
Jerome

Offline Bogey

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »
My advice is that if you are going to go for a build make sure that you do it right.  If it were me, I would have your heads refreshed, and replace the supporting engine components.  Either that or you will have an engine that has low miles and all the rest will have many miles on them.  Given it is an impreza, and you killed it playing I would assume that it has been ridden semi hard at the least.  Research will tell you, but when I was thinking about it, I am pretty sure that you will require some head work anyways.  There really is no economical about doing an engine upgrade.  The most economical is picking up a used longblock, next would likely be to replace the shortblock, etc.  There are lots of ways to look at it also...should you do a rebuild on a block and get the parts that you want?  Should you just buy a shortblock from subaru?  Buy a used longblock?  Buy a used shortblock?  Make sure that you read up on engine life when using a rebuild, or used engine.  You will find some interesting mileage rates.  It turned me away from a rebuild when I was in that boat.  When I first bought my WRX I went with a used shortblock.  I didnt renew any of the other stuff besides gaskets and timing kit.  With how I put it to the poor thing that first year and a half it had blowby within a year and a half and dead in two....entered new shortblock.  That time I did all new gaskets, water pump, timing, hoses, rebuilt the heads, etc.  After break in it felt like a brand new ride....I still miss that one :)  My advice....do it right the first time and dont cut corners ;)

Offline OBP WRX

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »
no cutting corners intended!  I am just trying to do it right without going crazy.

Options: 
1.  Try to salvage crank and block.  Rebuild kit ($2000+) with forged pistons, rods, bearings, etc. (quoted $850 to assemble everything)
2.  Buy assembled short block ($3000+)
3.  Buy assembled long block ($4200+)

Other decisions:
A.  Rebuild a 2.0...hopefully cheaper, higher revving, less torks for 05 WRX trans with a very hard 95K on it but with a lot fewer options out there.
B.  Hybrid build...more options (ej255 short blocks everywhere...ej205 is a lot harder to find) but moar torks to twist trans into unhappy pretzel, various levels of success

Other needs:
Oil pump
2.5L oil pan
oil pickup
timing belt kit (belt, tensioners, H2O pump)
Gasket kit

Other wants/smart to do at the same time:
Fuel line repair (get rid of the gas fumes in the cabin during the colder months)
Killer Bee oil baffle (cheap insurance)
Composite TGV deletes (wanted to do anyway...now is best time)
ARP Head bolts (why wouldn't you)
???More Blast Plates for the trans (still need to do more research to see if it is worth the extra $300 or so)???

not an option:
stock short block (new or used)

I was putting a little over 300hp and 260-270 ft lbs to the wheels when it died.  New set up needs to be able to handle AT LEAST 350hp to the wheels....preferably 400 or more.

Then there is the labor to swap it all out.  Initially I was thinking $3-5K but I am quickly seeing that I won't get in under $4K unless I cut some corners.

Looked at Flat Irons Tuning, Graveyard Motorsports, Six Star Speed, and what looks like best bang for the buck right now is a Stage 1 short block (hybrid) from AWDTUNING   :subaru:

This is the extent of my googlefu at the moment.  I have seen other stuff but those are the ones I keep coming back to.  If there are other reputable options, tips, advice, etc... I am all ears.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:59:00 PM by OBP WRX »
Jerome