Author Topic: Local tuners  (Read 1571 times)

Offline MrTickleBottoms

Local tuners
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »
Are there any reputable local(Omaha/Lincoln)tuners out there?

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
Re: Local tuners
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »
None that I know of anymore.  KC, Des Moines, or Chicago would be the closest. 

Offline MrTickleBottoms

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:02:12 PM »
I don't know if my car is up for a long drive.

These three places are where everyone is getting there car tuned now a days?
Unless they're tuning by themselves or have an access port.

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »
There are E-tuners out there. They use open source software and accessport depending on who you go with.  I've heard CAMtuning is a good option for that if they are still offering it.  Basically, it would require from you a cord, laptop, some basic research, and some datalog time. Etunes usually go for around $150-$200. Probably the best choice for you unless you want to learn this stuff yourself.

What vehicle and mods?

Offline MrTickleBottoms

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »
02 wrx wagon.

It has an srs turboback, Spec stage 3+ clutch, full blown 344 fuel pump, 06 wrx injectors, an AFR gauge, and a grimmspeed 3 port boost controller.

I bought it with all of the mods and the tune already on the car. I honestly can't tell how bad the tune is except for some afterfire at low rpms and AFRs sometimes dropping to the 9's at normal load, but only when I shift.

I would like to learn myself but I wouldn't want to just dive in.

I'm going to look into CAMtuning and see what they offer.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »
Make sure you check the fuel pressure before you do any tuning.  It is very possible that, that pump can overrun the stock FPR.  I've dealt with it on another vehicle and someone else just recently dealt with it on an S2000.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1068478-chasing-my-tail-with-fuel-pressure-issues/page__view__findpost__p__22976957

Cameron is a good E-tuner and one of the top picks if I were to suggest going that route.    Knowing that Jake tuned that car, I would be worried about what tune is currently on there...  Not kidding.

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »
Ooohh.  This was Jake's car?  Yes,  tune would be priceless over the unknown that it's running.   Also, pretty sure that with the 02 wrx,  to flash and datalog, you can buy the cheap VAGcom cable as opposed to the Tactrix which is much more expensive. Someone correct me if that is wrong.  Otherwise, I can flash it for you if that's the route you take.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:51:43 PM by joeleodee »

Offline MrTickleBottoms

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
Make sure you check the fuel pressure before you do any tuning.  It is very possible that, that pump can overrun the stock FPR.  I've dealt with it on another vehicle and someone else just recently dealt with it on an S2000.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1068478-chasing-my-tail-with-fuel-pressure-issues/page__view__findpost__p__22976957

Cameron is a good E-tuner and one of the top picks if I were to suggest going that route.    Knowing that Jake tuned that car, I would be worried about what tune is currently on there...  Not kidding.

So get my fuel pressure tested and if the stock FPR isn't doing the job I should get an aftermarket one. I do have the stock fuel pump.
Should I just install that instead of buying a new FPR if the FB fuel pump is the issue?

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »
IF that FPR is being overrun and you want to address the fuel pump and not the FPR, I would install a 255 lph pump.

Offline MrTickleBottoms

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
Ooohh.  This was Jake's car?  Yes,  tune would be priceless over the unknown that it's running.   Also, pretty sure that with the 02 wrx,  to flash and datalog, you can buy the cheap VAGcom cable as opposed to the Tactrix which is much more expensive. Someone correct me if that is wrong.  Otherwise, I can flash it for you if that's the route you take.

Wow, a lot of people know who Jake is. Not in the good way I guess. I've had at least 5 people within the month ask me if it was Jake's car right off the bat, and they all told me I need to get a tune right away. It makes me kinda regret buying the car. I feel like he just used the car to practice tuning and tried to sell it when he thought he was comfortable with tuning.

But I'm still gonna try to get this car out of it's bad cycle of blown motors, bad tunes and a neglected exterior. It's my only car so I don't really have a choice haha.

A reflash would set the ecu back to stock settings right?

Offline MrTickleBottoms

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »
IF that FPR is being overrun and you want to address the fuel pump and not the FPR, I would install a 255 lph pump.
So the fuel pump that's in right now is overkill or just bad quality?

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
It could potentially be too much for the stock FPR, therefore overrunning it.  I have yet to test where the limit is of the stock FPR due to there not being a Schrader valve and I haven't cared enough to hook up an inline pressure tester since I have an aftermarket FPR anyway.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »
Get a 255lph fuel pump. That won't overrun your fpr.
What fuel are you running?
IIRC Jake was fiddling around with E85 at one point. But yes, this car was his Guinea pig for tuning. It's not had an easy life :(

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »

A reflash would set the ecu back to stock settings right?

What I meant is that if you were to get an E-tune from CAMtuning or wherever you decide to get one, I can flash it to your ECU for you.  I wouldn't recommend flashing back to the stock settings with those mods. 

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 08:47:24 AM »
is Jaz not tuning anymore? 

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »
is Jaz not tuning anymore?

Afaik, he is not actively offering his services anymore.