Author Topic: Window rattle  (Read 648 times)

Offline Kingbuttmonkey

• Novice
Window rattle
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »
Is there a fix for the window rattle on my vehicle? If my drivers door window is not fully up, it rattles while driving and sounds like it is going to shatter if I shut the door without the window fully raised.  The vehicle is a 1996 Legacy.

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
Re: Window rattle
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
Welcome to Subaru ownership, never shut your door very firmly and never when the window is anywhere between fully up and fully down.  Gotta be gentle with the frameless windows.

Most often the sliders that hold the window glass steady are the first to give out.  If you have tracks of scratches on the glass that can indicate that the felt covering those sliders is deteriorated, which might also contribute to looseness.  In any case, you'll get a better idea of what's going on with the window once you take off the door card and look around inside.

Replacing door/window trim may also help with the noise at speed, if the window is not sealing to the top of the door frame well enough.  My money would be on the bracket whatsit that's holding up the window combined with those felt covered guides being the main culprit.

Offline Kingbuttmonkey

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
There are scratches on the outside. I have not looked inside the door yet, its been too cold. Gives me a good idea of where to start looking. Thank You

Offline Aki

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »
No problem!

And I hear ya on the cold, not the best motivation when the garage is only ~40F  :P 
Supposed to be nicer this weekend though.

Offline onemanzu

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »
I need to replace the seals in mine, and make sure everything lines up. Its common.

one thing you may be interested in, http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t46901-diy-repair-window-pads.html

if you do elect to go in there and modify anything, make sure that all the screws are tight... mine in the foz weren't  :-\