Author Topic: local tune  (Read 1877 times)

Offline zombiez07

local tune
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »
so im gathering Jaz is MIA.  that being said, how the #### do i get tuned once i do my dp/up and 3 port ebcs without buying an AP?  or is an AP the only option vs driving to KC?

Offline TeknoCop

• Elite Member
Re: local tune
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:35:56 AM »
You can do an e-tune.  Buy a tactrix cable and flash the tune yourself.   Or take it to Des moines or KC. 

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:50:31 PM »
ok, your recommendation for this.  i have a large tmic, dp, up, 3 port ebcs, and spt sri.  not planning on doing any more with current car.  can an AP stage 2 accommodate?  can get a v1 for 75 bux. 

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »
I'm not sure on the V1's limitations for staged maps, but it is no longer supported, so the 3-port will definitely be a problem on any OTS map.  Personally, I would not bother with a v1.

I know Cobb offers a 3-port of their own with intentions of offering OTS maps for them.  I haven't kept up with whether or not they have released any of those maps. 

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
ok, your recommendation for this.  i have a large tmic, dp, up, 3 port ebcs, and spt sri.  not planning on doing any more with current car.  can an AP stage 2 accommodate?  can get a v1 for 75 bux.

Not sure on the year of your vehicle here, but a regular Cobb Stage 2 map son't work with a 3 port and a TMIC would be a problem on a GR as well.

I'm not sure on the V1's limitations for staged maps, but it is no longer supported, so the 3-port will definitely be a problem on any OTS map.  Personally, I would not bother with a v1.

I know Cobb offers a 3-port of their own with intentions of offering OTS maps for them.  I haven't kept up with whether or not they have released any of those maps. 

Even if Cobb did release an OTS map that included a 3 port EBCS you would be much better off getting an internet 'protune'.

Offline jaz

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »

Not sure on the year of your vehicle here, but a regular Cobb Stage 2 map son't work with a 3 port and a TMIC would be a problem on a GR as well.

Even if Cobb did release an OTS map that included a 3 port EBCS you would be much better off getting an internet 'protune'.

If you have issues with Cobb's OTS maps, you can e-mail them and they'll help you get it right.  You're not going to get a perfect tune this way, but they'll be able to get you a relatively safe tune at the expense of power and possible fuel mileage.  A TMIC won't cause a problem with the tune, however, you may not be able to use it to its advantage. 

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
so tactrix cable and e-tune?  anyone recommended?

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:37:33 PM »
I've heard CAMtuning is good.  There's a few others as well, but since I opted to self tune, I haven't really been up to date on the e-tunes.  They usually cost in the $150-$200 range. The cost of a Tactrix adds about $180. Personally, if going this route, I'd recommend you get a Tactrix of your own, but if funds are an issue, I'd be happy to flash the map for you.

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »
now THAT would be freakin bomb good sir!  got a newborn and funds are ALWAYS slim...  i've been in contact with Eric at Torqued Performance in Chicago, he said he would do an e-tune with my mods for 120.  i think they are one that Cobb has listed on their website for e-tuners so i imagine they would have to be reputable.  wouldn't i need the cable for a period of time though?

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »
ok, decided to go with Stevie with Pullz On Tuning.  heard nothing but good things about him on nasioc and he's freakin lightning on his responses.  Funds are indeed short, so anyone who would let me borrow/rent a tactrix to get this done in the nearish future would be fantastic.

Offline joeleodee

• Moderators
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:05:43 AM »
We can work something out, but I can help.  I'm not going to charge to use my Tactrix.  I've seen with Etunes, it takes some time to get revisions after the initial base map, but that's not with all tuners. Let me know what you need and when.

Offline zombiez07

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 02:32:56 PM »
awesome.  thanks man