Author Topic: Brake Fluid Change  (Read 800 times)

Offline Xafen

Brake Fluid Change
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »
I'm getting ready to do my first brake fluid flush, and reading the service manual.

It says the entire system only needs 0.5 liters.

I got a thing of super BLUE Dot 4, and it's 1L.

Anyone want what will probably be 500ml left over?  Free if you pick it up, or come to a Wed. night meet, or I'd deliver it for $10 (half the cost). It'll be ~ 4 years until I'd use this stuff again, so I won't be able to keep it.

Mike, you already done yours? I got a power bleeder with the adapter to fit the 2012 Impreza (and who knows what else).

I'll probably plan on changing it Thursday, once it's nice again, and take off my winter tires (yes you can blame me when we get a March 31st blizzard). I'll cap it up again once I use my 500ml, so it'll keep a while fine, just probably not 4 years.

Offline csmiller18

Re: Brake Fluid Change
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »
you will probably end up using more than the system capacity... Since you will be bleeding some out (to flush and rid the system of bubbles). My advice, keep it.

Better to have and not need, than... well you know.
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline Xafen

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:12:51 PM »
Ah, sounds good, probably not enough in 1L for 2 changes then.

Ah well, all told, everything needed, fluid, power bleeder (could get by without), silly wrench (could do without), is still a good bit less than at the dealership, and, I have the power bleeder for future use!

Forewarning, I'm taking off my winter wheels Thursday! Here comes the snow lol...

Offline Arani Rey

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
Ah, sounds good, probably not enough in 1L for 2 changes then.

Ah well, all told, everything needed, fluid, power bleeder (could get by without), silly wrench (could do without), is still a good bit less than at the dealership, and, I have the power bleeder for future use!

Forewarning, I'm taking off my winter wheels Thursday! Here comes the snow lol...

I look mine off Sunday.. its snowing tonight.. haha

Offline csmiller18

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:41:41 AM »
Im waiting on lugs to put my new shoes on the ol' girl. (see thumbnail - they are just sitting in front of the car, not actually mounted)
2005 WRB STi
2008 YAMAHA R6
2005 HONDA TRX450R

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »
I just did my brakes a week or so ago. It's a fun process. Be sure to bleed them in order.

You'll totally use up more than you should. The change of old dirty to new clean won't be a perfect change but a mix of the two. So you'll use up some there. also with the power bleeder you'll blow threw a bit more there as well.
Keep the fluid around for a few weeks and once you're sure you don't have leeks take it to be disposed of. If you leave an unsealed bottle around it may get water in it from humidity changes and such and introduce water into the brake system next time you use it. For the few cents it saved you it wasn't worth it to have more brake issues.
you really should. it sounds better than two V8s having sex with a blowoff valve while a v12 tapes the whole thing.